• 29(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
(2012-05-12, 15:40)DDDamian Wrote: You have selected the following audio device:
Code:
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:     Device 1
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : {40182C1F-23F5-4D64-B27E-0E47E44F71A0}
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDMI - HD Audio HDMI out (VIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: WASAPI: HD Audio HDMI out (VIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 48000,44100
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_S16BE
That's not what i have selected in the UI (system->system->audio setup).

(2012-05-12, 15:40)DDDamian Wrote: If you look at it you'll see it's limited to 2ch, and very poor support of data formats and sample rates. You can try selecting:
Code:
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:     Device 3
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : {7F59FF03-AE3F-4C2C-A164-FBBF33EAB278}
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDMI - VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: WASAPI: VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 192000,96000,48000,44100
14:46:28 T:3656  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_S24NE4,AE_FMT_S24LE4,AE_FMT_S24BE4,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_S16BE
That's the one i have selected in the UI...

I'll test again, but it's very odd !! I'm 100% sure i had selected this second one !

DDDamian responds: see further down your log and it shows you which device is actually selected/used by the deviceName or GUID (the long string in {}). I'm more concerned with why that nVidia only reports 2ch. As mentioned, check your XBMC and Win speaker settings, update your driver, and possibly disable the onboard VIA device.
Folks, I can support for the next few hours then I'm off till Monday. Gorgeous Saturday here, Mother's Day tomorrow, and I must have put 120hrs in the last two weeks into AE and it's merge/rollout. The wife and dog don't recognize me anymore lol.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-12, 16:34)DDDamian Wrote: Folks, I can support for the next few hours then I'm off till Monday. Gorgeous Saturday here, Mother's Day tomorrow, and I must have put 120hrs in the last two weeks into AE and it's merge/rollout. The wife and dog don't recognize me anymore lol.

Dude. Seriously. Take your time and don't even think about AE for a while. Rofl

We (or I at least) do appreciate your and other devs work so much that you don't even know but still, you have to take some time to yourself too. So try get acquainted with your dog and wife again. They may have missed you. Big Grin

Oh, btw - here is my debug log: http://pastebin.com/Cq46Jx62
Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter
(2012-05-12, 16:55)paavor Wrote:
(2012-05-12, 16:34)DDDamian Wrote: Folks, I can support for the next few hours then I'm off till Monday. Gorgeous Saturday here, Mother's Day tomorrow, and I must have put 120hrs in the last two weeks into AE and it's merge/rollout. The wife and dog don't recognize me anymore lol.

Dude. Seriously. Take your time and don't even think about AE for a while. Rofl

We (or I at least) do appreciate your and other devs work so much that you don't even know but still, you have to take some time to yourself too. So try get acquainted with your dog and wife again. They may have missed you. Big Grin

Oh, btw - here is my debug log: http://pastebin.com/Cq46Jx62

Best log I've seen in.....forever Rofl The beer out on the deck in the sun is sounding might fine right now - thanks for the kudos and a great laugh Wink
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Tested again :
- I had in the UI correctly selected "WASAPI: VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" for both audio output and passthrough. If something else is used by XBMC, there is something wrong somewhere.
- Selection seems stable, as if i quit and restard XBMC, i'm still on "WASAPI: VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" (but still without audio).
- Windows and XBMC are set to 7.1 speakers.
- Drivers are already up to date.
- Disabling in Windows (in the audio windows settings) VIA HDMI changed nothing. You have a log file of the result here.
- Passthrough seems to works (i had audio playing a file from a DTS file). It seems that problem occurs on non-passthrough audio.
- Some files when tested started with a VERY low frame rate (around2-3 instead of 24). Not this king of problem with previous version.
- This worked perfectly fine with the version just prior AE merge. You have a log file of the result here.
(2012-05-12, 17:28)jpsdr Wrote: Tested again :
- I had in the UI correctly selected "WASAPI: VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" for both audio output and passthrough. If something else is used by XBMC, there is something wrong somewhere.
- Selection seems stable, as if i quit and restard XBMC, i'm still on "WASAPI: VSX-921-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" (but still without audio).
- Windows and XBMC are set to 7.1 speakers.
- Drivers are already up to date.
- Disabling in Windows (in the audio windows settings) VIA HDMI changed nothing. You have a log file of the result here.
- Passthrough seems to works (i had audio playing a file from a DTS file). It seems that problem occurs on non-passthrough audio.
- Some files when tested started with a VERY low frame rate (around2-3 instead of 24). Not this king of problem with previous version.
- This worked perfectly fine with the version just prior AE merge. You have a log file of the result here.

I see two issues in logs: the first, as mentioned, is that your nVidia is only reporting two channels, and it is still being hijacked by the VIA onboard. You need to disable that in the BIOS - not just in Windows. If you look at the device actually used it is the VIA, even though we request the nVidia per your selection.

The second is that one of the files has AAC audio - AAC is not decoded (yet) by AE - the only way it will work is if your receiver supports AAC natively. If it doesn't, as it appears, you will get silence or noise. We plan on adding AAC decoding along with DTS-wav soon.

EDIT: once you've disabled VIA in BIOS, d/l and run MonInfo and paste the report for your HDMI connection here - will tell me what the receiver/tv/nvidia EDID info is as reported via HDMI connection, including number of channels supported.
@DDDamian:

Fair enough. I made a log here:

http://pastebin.com/djEUK5ZQ

What I see:

- XBMC initially picks the WASAPI analog path, analog out, 2 speakers
- I have 5.1 speakers attached to my Xi-Fi sound card. In Windows (Win 7) my speaker layout is 5.1
- In the log I see that XBMC finds a WASAPI device with 2 channels. Same for DS btw.
- In the log, XBMC starts with DS, 5.1 layout (selected after starting XBMC, then quit, then start again)
- Playback in DS mode works fine, 5.1 DTS sounds like 5.1
- Then while still running XBMC I select the WASAPI path, keep the speaker layout to 5.1
- During playback there's no sound, slow, choppy video.

When I change the speaker layout to 2.0 for WASAPI, sound + video play fine.

HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
@loekf - yes, your analysis is correct, and everything's working as it should be.

- XBMC always starts with analog 2.0 as that format is guarenteed to be supported, and that's how it first initializes
- 5.1 is the correct windows setup for spdif connection
- it shows 2.0 for spdif as that is all spdif is capable of for pcm - for AC3/DTS it will play 5.1 fine
- as mentioned, AAC is not natively supported yet, expect issues with that if your amp doesn't support it
- you can use different non-passthrough/passthrough devices if you want in settings
- "Then while still running XBMC I select the WASAPI path, keep the speaker layout to 5.1" <- wouldn't recommend changing while stream is playing!!

EDIT: One thing I noticed: when you tried to play MIB II with the DTS-MA soundtrack it opened it as pcm - have you selected a passthrough device and enabled "DTS capable receiver"? It should be playing the DTS core for you, which is a passthrough format.
(2012-05-12, 19:21)DDDamian Wrote: @loekf - yes, your analysis is correct, and everything's working as it should be.

- XBMC always starts with analog 2.0 as that format is guarenteed to be supported, and that's how it first initializes
- 5.1 is the correct windows setup for spdif connection
- it shows 2.0 for spdif as that is all spdif is capable of for pcm - for AC3/DTS it will play 5.1 fine
- as mentioned, AAC is not natively supported yet, expect issues with that if your amp doesn't support it
- you can use different non-passthrough/passthrough devices if you want in settings
- "Then while still running XBMC I select the WASAPI path, keep the speaker layout to 5.1" <- wouldn't recommend changing while stream is playing!!

EDIT: One thing I noticed: when you tried to play MIB II with the DTS-MA soundtrack it opened it as pcm - have you selected a passthrough device and enabled "DTS capable receiver"? It should be playing the DTS core for you, which is a passthrough format.

@DDamian, maybe my .sig is a bit confusing, so let me clearify:

- I have a regular PC with a Nvidia GTX470 + Creative XiFI
- and a HTPC, see my .sig

The log is for my PC. My AMD APU-based HTPC connected to my home theatre works fine.

I would expect that Creative SB WASAPI -> analog out in 5.1 would work, but it doesn't. DirectSound in 5.1 works. From the log
it looks like that for the XiFi card, there are two WASAPI endpoints (SPDIF and analog). Both report 2 channels. Actually DirectSound
reports the same, but still you can output 5.1 in DirectSound mode.

I can't try SPDIF on my PC, because it's just an XiFi card with 5 analog speakes attached to it.
HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
@loekf - yep I'm confused. By WASAPI-> analog out in 5.1, you mean with PCM? No, that won't work unless you transcode to AC3. What are you trying to output in 5.1 using WASAPI and the Creative card that doesn't work?
(2012-05-12, 16:16)DDDamian Wrote: You cannot play uncompressed audio at 5.1 over spdif - it must be AC3 to do so. If you want 5.1 pcm over spdif pls add under <audio> in as.xml <transcodeto>ac3</transcodeto> - this will transcode your pcm stuff to AC3.
According to the contents of SoftAE.cpp, routine CSoftAE::LoadSettings(), the advanced setting is no longer used. If AC3passthrough is enabled, and the source is not an enabled passthrough type or > 2 channels, then transcoding to AC3 is automatically enabled for SPDIF and HDMI (when LPCM is disabled).

The apparent downside to this logic is that volume control and any filters (e.g. night mode) would not be applied to AC3 sources as it would be flagged as passthrough instead of decoded -> filters -> transcode.
@smf007 - yes, quite right - I'd pretty much forgotten we made it automatic based on devices. That logic is going to be replaced again with the new device enumeration logic going in.

We can however apply DRC (night mode) to upmixed sources before the transcoding to AC3, if it starts as pcm.
In the new logic, will it be able to decode AC3 to PCM before Transcoding? I'm trying to produce a simple setup for the Kids where the volume control in XBMC works for all sources, with output being AC3 or 2 channel PCM.
@smf007 - not something I'd really thought of, but there's no limitation to doing so I guess. That whole logic is still being worked out. Most folks wouldn't want that number of conversions, but I can understand what you're trying to do. If possible sure, we can work it in.
(2012-05-12, 20:24)DDDamian Wrote: @loekf - yep I'm confused. By WASAPI-> analog out in 5.1, you mean with PCM? No, that won't work unless you transcode to AC3. What are you trying to output in 5.1 using WASAPI and the Creative card that doesn't work?

Ehh....

as far as I know when I play a MKV with 5.1 DTS using WASAPI (on my PC, so with Creative XFi sound card):

XBMC decodes DTS 5.1 --> 5.1 PCM --> sent to WASAPI XFi device -> D/As on XFi -> 5.1 speakers

DirectSound's mixer is bypassed, so I would assume Creative's processing on the XFi is bypassed

I would assume that in case of a WASAPI output device, the audio decoding is still done by XBMC, WASAPI is just a render
method.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3