[Solved] Possible to move user data folder on win?
Hey peeps I was just wondering if it were possible to move the location where the userdata is stored.

Currently my folder under Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC is about 8gb, most of which is the userdata folder.

This is a problem since I boot off a fairly small SSD. Is there any way I can tell XBMC a different directory to load any of this data from?

I've tried finding people with a similar issue but to no avail, ant help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
you can do it it on the windows users's level. anyways, make sure you don't have a shitload of files in addons/packages - they can eat quite some space after a while. it's safe to clear that folder.
spiff Wrote:you can do it it on the windows users's level

... as described in http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/...windows-7/ and many other articles out there in Googleland.

An alternative is to make the XBMC directory a symlink pointing to somewhere on the D: drive, but I think it's neater to move the entire profile e.g. to D:\Users\<username>.

JR
Awesome, alight I think thats definitely the best way to do it. I'll just move the whole profile folder over.

Thanks guys
I have the exact situation. I used a third party program to clone my old c drive to my new ssd. So I have an exact copy of my C drive (SSD) now on my G drive (old c drive). Reading the link above seems llke something I should have done early on. NOw that my user folder is encubered by all types of programs, its seems that moving the whole thing might be problematic. I don;t know the fist thing about setting up a symlink. I was hoping that I couuld simply change a drive letter on an xml somewhere inside the progrm file and xbmc would refer to the G drive for the userdata. ANy thoughts?
Symlinks are not too difficult.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/com...-or-linux/

Basically...

mklink /j c:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\XBMC g:\new_directory

You have to move your directory first to the new location. Delete the old location. Then make the symlink. If you leave the old location directory in place, you will be unable to make the symlink.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I tried following the instructions in your link but no success. I downloaded Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable installer but when I right click on the folder to link from, I don't see "Pick Link Source". I may have installed the wrong Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable installer. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. Am I missing something or can you direct me to the correct link for Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable installer?
I checked my program folders and I don't see the LinkShellExtension folder where the Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable installer should have installed.
Thank you for your help.
No, skip all that Visual Studio stuff and do it straight from the command line. Way easier....
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I use a little freeware gui for symlinks named junction link magic . However, for xmbc you might consider running it in portable mode (xmbc.exe -p). That way your db and cache are all in whatever folder location you use for xmbc.

scott s.
Having the same problem here! I just skipped all that Visual Studio stuff and did it straight from the command line just like thrak76 suggested. Easier and faster..
Actually I faced a similar problem and I found useful help in this link
http://www.thexbmcguide.com/2012/03/10/a...-xml-file/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Possible to move user data folder on win?0