[LINUX] XBMC package or XBMCbuntu (Live)?
Hi all,

I've been using XBMC in Windows 7 for quite a while now but I'd like to switch to Ubuntu for ease of use reasons and resource use reasons.

After looking around a bit at my options, it would appear there is a Live version of XBMC that's packaged with a stripped-down version of Ubuntu (affectionately known as XBMCbuntu) and also a stand-alone traditional package which can be grabbed from XBMCs PPA repository.

Even if I were to grab the Live version, I would actually install the entire thing since I have a few other things I need to achieve in Ubuntu (various media scripting things, download capabilities, fiancee likes her Civ5 and Sims3 as well)

Also, it would appear that XBMCbuntu is slightly behind when it comes to Eden development. I enjoy being on the cutting edge and I usually write small reviews of each Eden step for Windows. I would like to continue to do that in Ubuntu.

My questions are these:
* Which Ubuntu version should I go with? Should I install XBMCbuntu, or should I set up a regular install of Ubuntu and then install the XBMC package? Is there even any difference?

* Is the stand-alone Linux package updated as often as the Windows version, when dealing with Eden specifically? I know that XBMCbuntu is not.

Any answers would be much appreciated. I'm leaning towards the stand-alone package just so I can control exactly what I'm installing, but I'm open to hearing more about XBMCbuntu.
The reason XBMCbuntu is not following the XBMC releases is that once you have it installed a plain online update will bring you to the latest XBMC.
We are a few days away form a new release - mainly the installer part got the most of the changes - so unless you have a blocking issue with B3, go for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC package or XBMCbuntu (Live)?0