SFF Unraid - Separating XBMC from server

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
spencers Offline
I've finally taken the plunge after putting this off for years!!

The purpose is to have an unRAID box capable of running SAB/SB/CP and Plex Media Server. I had an Acer Revo 1600 with XBMCbuntu, SAB/SB/CP installed that always had 2 external USB drives hooked up to it, holding my media. No redundancy! Luckily never had a drive failure. I experienced so many crashing issues that I always had to intervene and manage it remotely. After building this server, the XBMC box was upgraded to an Intel NUC DC3217IYE.

Thanks to eskro's helpful threads (on the XBMC forums), I settled on creating a SFF unraid box similar to his.

updated 10/4/2012
[CASE] LIAN LI PC-Q25B Mini-ITX ($120 + $10)
[MOBO+iGPU] ZOTAC GF6100-E-E AM3 nForce 430 MCP Mini-ITX ($50 + $0)
[CPU]AMD Sempron 130 2.6GHz Single-Core AM3 45W ($30 + $0)
[RAM]Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) KVR800D2N6/2G ($32 + $0)

[MOBO] Asus P8H77 LGA 1155 Intel H77 Mini-ITX ($99 + $0)
[CPU] Intel Ivy Bridge i3-3220T Dual Core Intel HD Graphics 2500 LGA 1155 35W ($129 + $0)
[RAM] Kingston HyperX 2x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX ($29 + $0)
[PSU] Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W 80Plus certified ATX12V ($25 after rebate + $0)
[SATA Card] Silicon Image SIL3132 ($12 + $2)
[unRAID] Plus License 5.0-beta14 ($69 + $0)
TOTAL: $481

Extra:
UPS APC Back-UPS ES 550 ($60)

[HDDs]
2TB Seagate ST2000DL003
2TB Seagate ST32000542AS
2TB Hitachi 5k3000
2TB WD Green WD20EARS
2TB Hitachi 5k3000 Parity
120GB Samsung EVO Cache
=7.45TB capacity

I picked the Lian Li Q25B case because it has a SATA backplane. Additionally for the coolness factor. In my teenage years, I built a couple Shuttle-based SFF computers so I'm used to working with little space! I'll outline this thread as I complete the build. I'd love to hear feedback, as well!

4/12/2013 LAN Speed Test results
Test completed with an Intel NUC with Windows 8 and 32GB Crucial M4, wired connection through an Asus RT-N66U Router.

GbE 1GB test to cache drive: 80.8 MB/s write, 82.4 MB/s read.
GbE 1GB test to parity protected array: to be performed later

Completed pictures:
[Image: 25rjda8.jpg]

[Image: 35me349.jpg]

[Image: 23wr5li.jpg]

[Image: wu2i4z.jpg]

[Image: 25h3lzn.jpg]

Intel DC3217IYE Next Unit of Computing | 4GB Crucial DDR3 1600 | 32GB Crucial mSATA | Windows 8 | XBMC
My unRAID build thread
(This post was last modified: 2014-08-16 17:29 by spencers.)
find quote
wsume99 Offline
Fan
I hate to rain on your parade but that MB is probably the last one I would have chosen to use. Here is what the unraid hardware guide says about nforce 4 series chipsets/SATA controllers ...

Quote:nVidia nForce series 5 or above (nForce4 or below NOT recommended, except Asus A8N-SLI)

I don't have one and I didn't search the unraid forums for feedback from users who do but that comment alone would be enough to make me stay away from this MB. You may not encounter any problems but I would have invested a few extra bucks to get an AMD chipset.

Also I would have just kicked in the extra few bucks for 4GB of RAM since you are planning on running SAB/SB/CP. It may not make a huge difference but again why not just upgrade now for a few extra $ and save yourself any future headaches?

There are just my thoughts on what I would do if it were my server. Others may disagree but I would hate to spend $300 building a new server only to find out that because I tried to save an extra $10-20 I now have some performance (RAM) or stability (MB) issue.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
find quote
spencers Offline
Thanks for the feedback! I did run across that tidbit of info on the unraid hardware guide.

I figured if Eskro is recommending it, then it should be fine. But everyone is fallible...

There is a thread on the unraid forums that seems to support it.
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...0.msg70942

Sticking with the AMD CPU I purchased, is there another compatible mini-ITX board that you'd recommend? Again, thanks for the feedback!

Intel DC3217IYE Next Unit of Computing | 4GB Crucial DDR3 1600 | 32GB Crucial mSATA | Windows 8 | XBMC
My unRAID build thread
(This post was last modified: 2012-03-09 17:55 by spencers.)
find quote
JustinAiken Offline
Fan
2GB is okay for SB/CP/SAbnzbd... Been running for months and months with 2GB Smile

XBMC: Frodo 12.2, with Transparency!
17.5 TB Unraid Server: 2500 movies, 8800 episodes of TV Apps: SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, mySQL
HTPC: Win8 (cause Steam), i7 920, ATI 6850 OC
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
find quote
aptalca Offline
The Dude
If you're planning on running a vm, definitely go with 4GB

I am running a single xp(512MB ram) machine and virtualbox is using a total of a little over 1GB ram
find quote
spencers Offline
aptalca Wrote:If you're planning on running a vm, definitely go with 4GB

As stated, I'm just going to run unraid with the SAB/SB/CP plugin (and probably Plex Media Server too).

My unRAID build thread
(This post was last modified: 2012-03-10 02:53 by spencers.)
find quote
BLKMGK Offline
Donor
I'd be very interested in how setting up SAB/SB goes. I too am running unRAId and have SAB/SB running on my desktop as well as an SQL server for my XBMC machines. I'd LOVE to get SAB/SB moved elsewhere so your experience setting this up will be of keen interest to me. Likewise I'd like to move the SQL server, I have two unRAID so maybe a split between the two would be smart :-) I don't think I have more than 2gig in either machine but if I do this I might upgrade. There's plenty of add-ons for unRAID these days and with no swap it doesn't hurt to pile on the memory - especially at the prices it goes for these days!

Will you be posting your experiences as you go along setting this up?

Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
find quote
spencers Offline
BLKMGK Wrote:Will you be posting your experiences as you go along setting this up?

Absolutely!

My unRAID build thread
find quote
wsume99 Offline
Fan
One thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to run SAB/SB/CP then you will want to install those apps onto a HDD that is not part of the array. It is possible to install them onto a data drive that is part of the array but you'll be stressing the array for no good reason. A lot of people install them onto a cache drive but that requires a paid license. Another method is to have a non-array drive in the server just for these apps. This can be done with the free version. I have a 2.5" drive in my server that I use as a non-array drive and I've loaded SAB/SB onto it. The drive will stay spun up as long as the apps are running which is why I'm using a laptop HDD. There are unmenu packages that pretty much automate the installation for 4.7 and plug-ins for 5.0 and beyond which do the same. It is very simple to get things up and running. If you search the unraid forums you'll find lots of guides stepping you through it.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
find quote
JustinAiken Offline
Fan
I like running it on the cache... I have nothing else on the cache, so next time I have a HD failure I can just reassign the cache drive to the dead disk's place and rebuild it right away...

XBMC: Frodo 12.2, with Transparency!
17.5 TB Unraid Server: 2500 movies, 8800 episodes of TV Apps: SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, mySQL
HTPC: Win8 (cause Steam), i7 920, ATI 6850 OC
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
find quote
spencers Offline
Thanks! I have a couple extra laptop drives that would work perfectly!

My unRAID build thread
find quote
spencers Offline
Case is here. I test fit a couple 2TB's.

Parts should arrive throughout the week. Smile

My unRAID build thread
(This post was last modified: 2014-07-15 22:59 by spencers.)
find quote
SpaceMonkey Offline
Posting Freak
(2012-03-10 19:00)BLKMGK Wrote:  I'd be very interested in how setting up SAB/SB goes. I too am running unRAId and have SAB/SB running on my desktop as well as an SQL server for my XBMC machines. I'd LOVE to get SAB/SB moved elsewhere so your experience setting this up will be of keen interest to me. Likewise I'd like to move the SQL server, I have two unRAID so maybe a split between the two would be smart :-) I don't think I have more than 2gig in either machine but if I do this I might upgrade. There's plenty of add-ons for unRAID these days and with no swap it doesn't hurt to pile on the memory - especially at the prices it goes for these days!

Will you be posting your experiences as you go along setting this up?

I'm running Unraid 5.0 beta 14 on my HP Microserver with SAB, Sickbeard and MySQL with only 1 gig of RAM and haven't had any issues, it's has been pretty much rock solid. All these extra applications are available as plugins for latest Unraid beta versions and installing is very simple.

I too have a drive that is not part of Unraid array, all the temporary downloads go to it and also the SQL databases. I have to switch from the noisy 3.5" HD to 2.5" drive since it has to be spun up most of the time.
find quote
spencers Offline
PSU, CPU, RAM, and a couple more 2TB's arrived. Some pictures of the test fits.

When purchasing a PSU for this case, keep in mind that it needs to be 140mm or less in length. I had to peel off the "Corsair CX430" stickers each side in order to get it to slide in!

There are three standard molex ports on the SATA backplane. The CX430 contains only three molex plugs on one rail. Regular SATA cables will work fine. I'd make sure to get the locking variety. If you want to save space, you need left-angle cables.

Tight space!

My unRAID build thread
(This post was last modified: 2014-07-15 23:00 by spencers.)
find quote
eskro Offline
Posting Freak
we like'em tight don't we!!
find quote