Linux A few issues/questions with XBMCbuntu (boot)
So after a few hours of google searching I figured out how to get it properly installed (ie drives partitioned, etc.) since I have always been spoiled by Windows. However now that I have it up and running whenver I boot up it gives me a list of like, 8 options to boot from. Ill post a pic later when I get home from work, but its along the lines of "linux xx.xx.x generic-pae, some say recover, others have different version numbers, or (recovery) after them. I would like it to skip this step haha, its just wasting time. It is also doing the thing where it boots straight to Openbox, but after some reading I think its just a "where I was before" problem, even though I always shut down from the XBMC portion.

Neither of these are huge deals as most of the time I will use suspend instead of shut down, however I don't want it to take forever if I do happen to shut it down.Sleepy

What is the easiest way to set up FTP into XBMCbuntu? Im not that familiar with linux at all, so I would like to be able to ftp into it and deliver files from my windows box without having to work in the command line area. It took me long enough to get it to find and automount my secondary drive, even with an awesome tutorial somebody wrote. In reality, I'm not even that familiar with FTPing, and have one question about it, does it give me control in the hard drives in the linux box? Id like to move a bunch of files from my secondary drive to my boot drive (for organizational purposes, one drive was always for movies, the other for TV shows, but I shuffled them around for reformatting for the install).
I'm pretty sure you can use SFTP out of the box. Use the machine's IP address as the host and configure your FTP client for SFTP over port 22 (22 should be the default). Use the same username and password that you use to log in to the HTPC.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Plaguester is right on. I have Eden on my HTPC. I've got Filezilla on my Windows PC. It was able to access the HTPC using SFTP.

Thanks guys
For your first problem.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/148095/ho...boot-entry
Hi I am new to linux to so i know how you feel abut all of this,

have you thought abut using samba ?

You only need to add folowing to end of samba.conf file
(you can do it with simple text editor)

Code:
[root]
path = /
public = yes
guest only = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = sinisa
inherit permisssions = yes

With that folder shared whole of your xbmc is shared

(2012-10-24, 10:18)Burke Wrote: Hi I am new to linux to so i know how you feel abut all of this,

have you thought abut using samba ?

You only need to add folowing to end of samba.conf file
(you can do it with simple text editor)

Code:
[root]
path = /
public = yes
guest only = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = sinisa
inherit permisssions = yes

With that folder shared whole of your xbmc is shared

I strongly advise against using path = /
this is very dangerous and can break your linux system if you change/delete a single wrong file.
only share your media drives e.g. path = /media

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few issues/questions with XBMCbuntu (boot)0