No sound through HDMI
Hi All,

I recently installed XMBCbuntu onto my roommate's old pc that he is wanting to make into a HTPC. the graphics card is a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS. I'm not getting any sound from the HDMI port, but I did find this post here showing how to fix the issue. My problem is, since I am newer to linux, I don't know how to create a text file in the terminal. It says to create this file:

[sudo cat <<EOF>> /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
type route
slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
ttable {
0.0= 1
1.1= 1
2.4= 1
3.5= 1
4.2= 1
5.3= 1
6.6= 1
7.7= 1
}
}
EOF]

But I don't know how to tab down to the next line of text. When I hit enter after typing a line the terminal shows me this symbol: ">". Also, there are places in the posting where it shows "type asym" and "type route" and the "types" are colored a different color than the rest of the text. Are the "types" supposed to be in the text, or is it just telling me to type asym and route. It's just kinda confusing for a linux newb like me. lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Use Google...
I did, couldn't really find anything.
Well a simple workaround, if you can ssh into the PC, is to edit the sound.conf file in a text editor on another system. Then reboot you HTPC and viola!

If you have never setup a password for ssh login, then when you are in XBMC:
press ctrl+alt+f1
type:passwd
since the current password is blank type what you want the password to be, and press enter I recommend keeping it simple. 'xbmc' (case sensitive) is a good choice.

I recommend WinSCP for a ssh client.

Enter the IP for your HTPC and make sure to select SCP from the drop down menu.
The username *should be* xbmc. (case sensitive)
The password is whatever you just set.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, do a google search on how to use a built in text editor. cuz it ain't straight forward.

Good luck
Also, make sure that your HDMI isn't muted in Ubuntu
type: alsamixer and see if anyhting shows muted... if it does fix it.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound through HDMI0