Upgrading ATV1, Which should I get? BCM70012 or BCM70015
I just picked up an ATV1, (I needed the component out), and wanted to upgrade the video to 1080p.

A BCM70012 is about £10 delivered, and a BCM70015 is about £35 delivered.

I know that the BCM70015 can do hardware Divx, and flash 10.1.
Can both codecs be played just as well in software?

If software playback is acceptable, what (if any) other benefits are there?
(i.e reduced power, less heat, etc).

Should I bother paying the extra money, or can I just get by with the cheaper card?

Thanks
You can see some additional comparison details on the XBMC Wiki at: Broadcom Crystal HD (wiki)

Personally, I'd go with the BCM70015. What you just mentioned, plus a some higher profiles on h.264, lower power draw, and doesn't do this weird "stutter" thing when you play/pause for a few seconds (a minor annoyance that is totally livable if you go with the 12). Top it off with loading the replacement OS, Crystalbuntu (wiki), and you'll have a very nice machine on your hands. That's what I use as my main HTPC, and it's more powerful than the ATV2 and most other brand-new set-top players.
I have had the BCM70012 since it came out and replaced it at later stage with a BCM70015

The BCM70012 performs well under crystalubuntu even at 1080p however it definitely does not play 1080p undert ATV OS

With the BCM70015 you are ok at 720p with the ATV OS and does also play 1080p 4.1@HP decently in Crystalubuntu it plays everything well

For Divx you don't actually need the card the normal Xvid files you find are easy to digest even at 720p as the decoding is more simple

For what concerns flash I am not aware of anything with flash in XBMC but you can load flash on ATV OS to run few boxee applications also there there is no specific benefit from the BCM70015

In short I would spend the £35 for the BCM70015 especially as there are some horrid BCM70012 clones with plenty of problems
However if you need an original BCM70012 I will sell it to you for £10 too!
Thank you both for your replies...
(2012-03-14, 04:52)Ned Scott Wrote: Personally, I'd go with the BCM70015... Top it off with loading the replacement OS, Crystalbuntu (wiki), and you'll have a very nice machine on your hands.

I only just found out about Crystalbuntu (wiki), and it's definately looks the way to go...
(I was just going to install debian), I have no interest in any AppleTv OS,
since XBMC is far more capable, and my family have been using it since upgrading from XBMP (2003) (on the xbox)!

(2012-03-14, 09:27)interceptor121 Wrote: For what concerns flash I am not aware of anything with flash in XBMC but you can load flash on ATV OS to run few boxee applications also there there is no specific benefit from the BCM70015

In short I would spend the £35 for the BCM70015 especially as there are some horrid BCM70012 clones with plenty of problems
However if you need an original BCM70012 I will sell it to you for £10 too!
I was hoping to get firefox installed under whatever linux was going to replace the ATV Os,
and then flash would be useful to watch various sites

Thank you for the offer of the BCM70012, but you both have convinced me that I need the BCM70015 instead Smile

*edit* I just noticed that this thread has been moved...
apologies if I posted in the wrong forum, I meant it to go into the iOS support in the 1st place Smile
No worries. It gets confusing when Apple has two products with the same name, but are very different under the hood.
(2012-03-14, 09:27)interceptor121 Wrote: In short I would spend the £35 for the BCM70015 especially as there are some horrid BCM70012 clones with plenty of problems

Having decided on getting a BCM70015 the only ones I can find on ebay are made by "Azurewave"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broadcom-Cryst...2c5f0d2f9b

Are these generic cards acceptable or is one of the "clones" that you are referring to,
Will this card work? ...

The listing mentions the ATV1 in their decription,
and I have also found (on another site) that they do work on OSX 10.6.3 with the broadcom drivers.
So I assume it should work..., however I just want to be sure before I order... Smile

Thanks
That's the one. Broadcom doesn't directly manufacture the chips, so other companies will have their names on them. They're all identical, though. That's the same one that I have, too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading ATV1, Which should I get? BCM70012 or BCM700150