Win Help Changing meta_cache file location
Hello All

Running,.Win 7x64
XBMC Eden Rc2 pvr Margro

*I have been looking into changing file locations of XBMC
*I have a small 60Gb SSD used for my OS and now XBMC installation.
*Media such as music,movies, Tv shows are on separate 2Gb HDD (currently over my home network, will hard install in HTPC when finished ripping my music collection)

With addons and in particular metadata scrapes, How can I relocate various XBMC storage locations.

Obviously if I cut from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC XBMC will not where it is.Confused

Is there an advancedsettings.xml I can write or what is best here?

My concern is that certain addons may get confused as to where the metadata cache location really is!
Surely it is best to make this key change with XBMC rather than for example changing path from inside a particular addon.

Thanks heaps.Wink

D.
Hi,

have a look to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...le_mode.3F

In short: you can start xbmc in portable mode - it will create/use a "portable data" sub-folder where it stores all data.

please report back if this helps,

regards,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
That won't help as he states XBMC is installed on the C: drive. So the metadata will still be in the C: drive, but just deep inside the XBMC folder. The easiest method is to install XBMC on your media drive and then run it in portable mode as Sphere suggested. Copy all your XBMC data into the proper location of the portable data folder and you should be good to go. Just leave your original XBMC data folder intact until you know the copy works.

You could also maybe move you metadata folders to your media drive and create symlinks to them from the c:\ drive. I've not tested this so I can not confirm this works.
(2012-03-14, 18:18)kricker Wrote: That won't help as he states XBMC is installed on the C: drive. So the metadata will still be in the C: drive, but just deep inside the XBMC folder.

You can just move the XBMC folder from C:\Program Files to D:\XBMC or wherever you want it. You just need to manually update the Start menu and any desktop icons for XBMC.

JR
yeah thats what i wanted to say.

To summarize it:

- copy C:\Programs\xbmc to D:\what-you-like\
- start D:\what-you-like\xbmc.exe with "-p" (xbmc will be "on factory default"), exit it (just for creating the portable_data-dir)
- copy C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC to D:\what-you-like\portable_data
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Check the profiles.xml file after running in portable mode. Make sure the directory path is correct. In the past I had to manually change this if I just changed the current XBMC install to use portable mode.
Thanks for the replies.

I want to relocate files and folders from this location.
*** C:\Users\myusername\appdata\roaming\xbmc\

I have 3 main reasons for this.
  1. "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.module.metahandler\meta_cache " is already 2Gb and disk space is a concern
  2. As I am using an SSD I want to minimise the amount of writes to the disk.
  3. Having XBMC installed on the SSD means speed. It's Fast!!
Since I am on windows (7x64) I am able and have relocated all of my windows user folder to my 320GB Data HDD (media is on another 2GB HDD)

However: I am unable to relocate the appdata folder
I will look into this further but believe windows needs it located there and moving any subfolders can cause stability issues inside windows

Quote:You could also maybe move you metadata folders to your media drive and create symlinks to them from the c:\ drive. I've not tested this so I can not confirm this works.
So this or something similar seems to be viable.

What I am seeing however is if I do this:
Quote:If you wish, you may run XBMC in portable mode by adding the -p switch to the shortcut used to launch XBMC. This will then use the XBMC folder itself as the Home folder, which means scripts, plugins, skins and userdata will be located in the 'portable_data' folder within the XBMC folder

Is that; surely XBMC does not rely upon the appdata folder with windows settings but rather a separate folder in a separate directory so that upgrading does not effect user settings and the like.

Therefore there must be a code/script modify option available that allows me tell XBMC "C:\~~appdata\~~\XBMC\ is located elsewhere. Because when it's inportable mode it is located elsewhere. Just happens to be the XBMC install directory.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I will now try to create a link from within windows (keeping it backend) to read C:\username\appdata\roaming\xbmc\ from another location. I fear stability worries outside of XBMC here but will try none the less.

Please offer any alternatives.. Thanks.

(2012-03-15, 08:51)Deafty Wrote: Therefore there must be a code/script modify option available that allows me tell XBMC "C:\~~appdata\~~\XBMC\ is located elsewhere. Because when it's inportable mode it is located elsewhere. Just happens to be the XBMC install directory.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I will now try to create a link from within windows (keeping it backend) to read C:\username\appdata\roaming\xbmc\ from another location. I fear stability worries outside of XBMC here but will try none the less.

Please offer any alternatives.. Thanks.
This could be a case for using path substitution, this is done via entries in the advancedsettings.xml, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Path_substitution

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...and_fanart and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ts_of_XBMC for some examples.

I've not done any of this myself, but I see that the Add-on data path is one of those you can remap.
Thanks heaps,.

I have for now used a symlink and will test.
I have exactly the same issue - want to keep xbmc on my SSD, but want the metadata to be kept else where as its over 3Gb. Quite a lot when you consider I only have a 32Gb boot drive running Windows 7.
I want to put the metadata on one of my 3Tb drives.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help Changing meta_cache file location0