Windows 7 PC not recognizing Logitech Harmony?
I'll try to be as specific about my setup as I can.

I have a home built PC running Windows 7 Professional.

I purchased this USB Remote Control specifically for the IR receiver, based on the customer reviews that said they've been able to use it for their Logitech Harmony remotes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56...00_details

I just bought a Logitech Harmony 650, and tried to set it up for usage on my PC (and hopefully XBMC) by following these instructions to the best of my ability: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77519

Now, as best I can tell, the IR receiver is set up properly, as the Remote that came with it can control the PC just fine. However, my Harmony remote doesn't seem to be communicating with the PC at all, none of the buttons I push seem to do anything.

Looking at the devices I've added on to my remote, I see 'Microsoft Windows Media Center SE' and 'Microsoft MCE Keyboard'. I added the activities to set up the remote for control of my PC just like the instructions said, but like I said, I can't get anything working.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing? Am I using the wrong device profiles? Is there something else I should have set up? Any help would be appreciated.
It's a natural assumption that all MCE remotes are the same, but they aren't.

The remote you've bought is a Chinavision - http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...MCE_remote. You need to configure your Harmony to emulate a Chinavision handset. Note however that the Chinavision is one of the nastier remotes. If you want a cheap IR receiver look for a ORtek VRC-1100 - http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...s#VRC-1100.

JR
Hmm, that's a bummer. I guess in the meantime I'll try the Chinavision profile and look into the IR receiver you suggested. Thanks for the help!
Probably the best IR receivers are the HP or Microsoft RC6/eHome receivers. However note that with these you need to fiddle with the interkey delay setting on the Harmony to get an acceptable response. By default the button response with these receivers is about 500ms, and this is too slow for most people.

JR
Okay, so I purchased the ORtek VRC-1100 on Amazon per your recommendation, and I added it as a device under 'Microsoft MCE Keyboard'. However, it still doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've tried some test buttons under the specific device, but it doesn't seem to be responsive at all. Again, the remote that it came with seems to work fine, but nothing seems to work on the Logitech Harmony under either 'Microsoft MCE Keyboard' or 'Microsoft Windows Media Center SE'. I feel like I'm just totally messing something up.
(2012-03-17, 18:09)jhsrennie Wrote: Probably the best IR receivers are the HP or Microsoft RC6/eHome receivers. However note that with these you need to fiddle with the interkey delay setting on the Harmony to get an acceptable response. By default the button response with these receivers is about 500ms, and this is too slow for most people.

JR
just a note...
I've had 4 different Harmony remotes and never had any delay problems. Response with all of them have been instant. The issue is not the remote specifically, it is the IR receiver. Higher quality IR receivers will not have any delay with Harmony remotes. I use a USB-UIRT. And I use Eventghost which adds another interface layer, still no delay.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2012-03-21, 02:33)mtmaloney Wrote: Okay, so I purchased the ORtek VRC-1100 on Amazon per your recommendation, and I added it as a device under 'Microsoft MCE Keyboard'. However, it still doesn't seem to be doing anything.

You need to add the device "ORtek VRC-1100". The ORtek receiver is not compatible with a Microsoft MCE keyboard, but the harmony has emulation for the ORtek built in.

JR
Okay, I'll do that, but I was really looking for a receiver that would be compatible with the 'Microsoft Windows Media Center SE' and 'Microsoft MCE Keyboard' device profiles. Would something like this fit the bill? http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Certified-...B000ST7QPA

It says it 'Incorporates Microsoft® recommended RC6 IR protocol', isn't that what I'm looking for?
The ORtek will work fine. The receiver emulates a keyboard and sends the Windows Media Center keyboard shortcuts. It will work out of the box with XBMC and WMC.

The link you posted looks like an eHome remote, and if so it will work fine. However why spend more money when the ORtek receiver works. I use an ORtek receiver myself, with a Harmony 300.

JR
Well, specifically I want to be able to open and close XBMC using my remote. It's my understanding that I can do this using the 'Microsoft Windows Media Center SE' profile, as it has a 'Win+1' function (Since I have XBMC pinned to my windows taskbar) and an 'Alt+F4' function. However, I am unable to get these functions to work, I assume it's because the IR receiver I have isn't compatible? Or is there another way I can accomplish this?
Just set a hotkey for the XBMC icon. Right click the icon and choose Properties and when the Properties dialog opens seledt the "Shortcut" tab and click in the "Shortcut key" field. Now press the button you want to use to open XBMC and you should see the key appear in the "Shortcut key" field.

Not all buttons are suitable because Windows wants ctrl-shift-somekey or ctrl-alt-somekey for shortcut keys.

JR
Hmm, a solid idea. However, I'm having trouble locating a button that actually works. Seems that they're all asking for ctrl+ or shift+ or alt+. Can you think of any buttons that might do? The 'Close' button obviously works fine for exiting XBMC since it just emulates Alt+F4. Can't seem to find one I can use as a hotkey unless I'm just missing one.
According to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Contr...s#VRC-1100 the yellow button sends ctrl-shift-t (which is the WMC shortcut for "My TV") and the button under the red button sends ctrl-shift-m (WMC shortcut for "DVD menu").

JR
That's great! ctrl-shift-t worked perfectly.

Now, the only problem I'm having, and I suspect this is something Windows related, is the shortcut works fine, but when I close out of XBMC using Alt-F4, the shorcut to open it back up no longer works. I've tried it on a regular keyboard and it doesn't work on there either, so it's not a problem with the remote. I'll have to look around and see if I can find any advice on why Windows might be behaving that way.

Anyways, thanks a lot for all your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 PC not recognizing Logitech Harmony?0