• 3(current)
Newbie looking for some help.
Quite a few people have had issues with using TC with XBMC. Check this thread for additional info: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116714

There's some good info in that thread that may help you.

Do you have a name and password configured for Time Capsule? I think I remember reading somewhere that you must have a username and password configured for it to work correctly. Also, some report that it must be configured to use port 548.

But that said, there's lots of conflicting reports on what exactly you should use to connect to it.

You might also want to try a manual connection to it, if the Zeroconf browser doesn't work. You can try that by doing the following:

Go to Add Video Source.
Click the Browse button.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and select "Add network location".
Select SMB for the protocol.
Type in the full IP address share, in the format "smb://username:password@IPAddress/SomeVideoShare".

For example, if you had a username and password of "admin" and "password" and the IP address was 192.168.1.2, it would be smb://admin:[email protected]/SomeVideoShare

You can also try the above using the "afp" protocol instead of "smb". Just replace smb with afp and select AFP for the protocol.

afp://admin:[email protected]/SomeVideoShare

Some have claimed that you need to enter it in the following format:
smb://IPAddress/path/to/file

Example: smb://192.168.1.2/SomeVideoShare

So you might give those a try.
(2012-05-30, 00:04)crawl Wrote: Quite a few people have had issues with using TC with XBMC. Check this thread for additional info: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116714

There's some good info in that thread that may help you.

Do you have a name and password configured for Time Capsule? I think I remember reading somewhere that you must have a username and password configured for it to work correctly. Also, some report that it must be configured to use port 548.

But that said, there's lots of conflicting reports on what exactly you should use to connect to it.

You might also want to try a manual connection to it, if the Zeroconf browser doesn't work. You can try that by doing the following:

Go to Add Video Source.
Click the Browse button.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and select "Add network location".
Select SMB for the protocol.
Type in the full IP address share, in the format "smb://username:password@IPAddress/SomeVideoShare".

For example, if you had a username and password of "admin" and "password" and the IP address was 192.168.1.2, it would be smb://admin:[email protected]/SomeVideoShare

You can also try the above using the "afp" protocol instead of "smb". Just replace smb with afp and select AFP for the protocol.

afp://admin:[email protected]/SomeVideoShare

Some have claimed that you need to enter it in the following format:
smb://IPAddress/path/to/file

Example: smb://192.168.1.2/SomeVideoShare

So you might give those a try.

What? I don't understand any of that. Sad
Mid 2009 15" MacBook Pro 10.8.2
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
2 x Jailbroken ATV2 iOS5.0.2
2 x Apple 2TB Time Capsules
Sony Bravia KDL40NX723B LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 40 inch with Built-in Wi-Fi and Freeview HD
You aren't going to get very far if not (no offence) that is a pretty good explanation of things. Just to chip here:

Quote:Do you have a name and password configured for Time Capsule? I think I remember reading somewhere that you must have a username and password configured for it to work correctly. Also, some report that it must be configured to use port 548.

I used to use SMB to my Time Capsule and didn't set up any ports or a user name or pw so this shouldn't matter.

Zeroconf Browser is a sort of network scan. It will look through your network for any network shares (using different protocols e.g. AFP, SMB, NFS) so if you are sharing your time capsule correctly all you do is try to add a source and go to zeroconf browser and it should automatically come up.

Props to Crawl for a detailed explanation of things though.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
My TC settings...

Is there anything there that doesn't look right?
When you guys say name and password I take it you mean 'Liams Time Capsule' for the name and a password I have set as per the pictures?

As for changing the port, I haven't got a clue how to do that. Sad

I currently have my iTunes library on my TC and the video content is in there so it's several folders in. Would that matter? However, when I open the first folder (Data) I have put one video file in there (next to the folder that opens all the iTunes folders) until I get this sorted as I don't want to go messing about pulling everything out of iTunes if I can't get it to work.

What I can't do is put video files along side the 'Data' folder, I have to put them in it, if you know what I mean?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Sony Bravia KDL40NX723B LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 40 inch with Built-in Wi-Fi and Freeview HD
I haven't owned a TV for nearly 6 years but I bought one only because I was so impressed with my 'friends' set up with his ATV and XBMC. Now I'm really beginning to wish I hadn't bothered. Why can nothing be simple? I mean, I've tried several times to locate the files on my TC and I've ended up with several folders showing in XBMC and they are all empty, I can't even see how to delete these empty folders for goodness sake. Sad
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
If you don't have a driver license - driving a car is not simple. If you have - its simple. So just a bit offtopic about that "why can't things be simple". Its allways about the point of view mate.

Try to switch the "Secure Shared Disks" to something else (no clue what other options are there - but maybe there is an option for "username + password" instead of "With a disk password"). I don't own a TC so all hopes on others who got it working.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-05-30, 10:07)Memphiz Wrote: If you don't have a driver license - driving a car is not simple. If you have - its simple. So just a bit offtopic about that "why can't things be simple". Its allways about the point of view mate.

Try to switch the "Secure Shared Disks" to something else (no clue what other options are there - but maybe there is an option for "username + password" instead of "With a disk password"). I don't own a TC so all hopes on others who got it working.

Thanks, I got it working last night with the help of Deanmv. Smile
(2012-05-29, 22:16)crawl Wrote:
(2012-05-29, 21:52)Happy Wrote: Ok, I've got XBMC installed but I can't seem to add my TC as the place for the ATV to read the media from. Any help would be most appreciated.

Also, the weather within XBMC is not the weather I'm looking for. The weather my friend had was displayed on the Apple 'page/OS' if you like whereas the weather on XBMC can only be accessed whilst in XBMC. My friend isn't talking to me so I can't find out what add on he had. Sad

Follow the instructions here for setting up your TC: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...ia_sources

Except at Step 4, you'll probably want to select Zeroconf browser from the list, then look for your TC in the Zeroconf browser listing. It should show up there as long as your sharing settings are correct on the TC.

To change your weather, go to System\Weather\Settings, and enter your city. That will change it within XBMC only. The default Apple menu has its own weather plugin/app as well. To change that, you'll have to navigate to the Settings page from the Apple menu. The Apple menu weather and XBMC weather are completely separate, and don't talk to each other.

Also, to answer your other question from your other thread, you need to calibrate XBMC so that everything is visible on the screen. To do that go to System\System\Video Output\Video Calibration. And go through the calibration process to make XBMC fit on your TV screen.

And please keep your questions confined to one thread. You'll get better results that way, and it won't clutter the forum.

Hi, could you elaborate a bit more on this please as I can't seem to find anything for it.Sad
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
(2012-05-30, 13:20)Happy Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 10:07)Memphiz Wrote: If you don't have a driver license - driving a car is not simple. If you have - its simple. So just a bit offtopic about that "why can't things be simple". Its allways about the point of view mate.

(2012-05-29, 22:16)crawl Wrote:
(2012-05-29, 21:52)Happy Wrote: Ok, I've got XBMC installed but I can't seem to add my TC as the place for the ATV to read the media from. Any help would be most appreciated.

Also, the weather within XBMC is not the weather I'm looking for. The weather my friend had was displayed on the Apple 'page/OS' if you like whereas the weather on XBMC can only be accessed whilst in XBMC. My friend isn't talking to me so I can't find out what add on he had. Sad

Follow the instructions here for setting up your TC: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...ia_sources

Except at Step 4, you'll probably want to select Zeroconf browser from the list, then look for your TC in the Zeroconf browser listing. It should show up there as long as your sharing settings are correct on the TC.

To change your weather, go to System\Weather\Settings, and enter your city. That will change it within XBMC only. The default Apple menu has its own weather plugin/app as well. To change that, you'll have to navigate to the Settings page from the Apple menu. The Apple menu weather and XBMC weather are completely separate, and don't talk to each other.

Also, to answer your other question from your other thread, you need to calibrate XBMC so that everything is visible on the screen. To do that go to System\System\Video Output\Video Calibration. And go through the calibration process to make XBMC fit on your TV screen.

And please keep your questions confined to one thread. You'll get better results that way, and it won't clutter the forum.

Hi, could you elaborate a bit more on this please as I can't seem to find anything for it.Sad

Sure. I was talking about the Weather add-on available through NitoTV, that is displayed at the initial Apple retail menu before launching XBMC. I'm pretty sure that's what you were talking about in the bolded section above. It can be configured to show the weather as part of the background.

NitoTV can be installed rather easily if you're interested in that.
(2012-05-30, 17:10)crawl Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 13:20)Happy Wrote:

(2012-05-29, 22:16)crawl Wrote: Follow the instructions here for setting up your TC: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...ia_sources

Sure. I was talking about the Weather add-on available through NitoTV, that is displayed at the initial Apple retail menu before launching XBMC. I'm pretty sure that's what you were talking about in the bolded section above. It can be configured to show the weather as part of the background.

NitoTV can be installed rather easily if you're interested in that.

Hi, I think you might be right. The weather my friend had on his was displayed in the space above NitoTV etc. Do you have a pic of the weather so I can see if it's the correct one before I go to the trouble of installing it?

Ok, next up. In my efforts last night to get XBMC to read my movie files I ended up with some dead ends listed in the same list as 'Zeroconf Browser'. Is there any way to remove these?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
(2012-05-30, 17:21)Happy Wrote: Hi, I think you might be right. The weather my friend had on his was displayed in the space above NitoTV etc. Do you have a pic of the weather so I can see if it's the correct one before I go to the trouble of installing it?

Ok, next up. In my efforts last night to get XBMC to read my movie files I ended up with some dead ends listed in the same list as 'Zeroconf Browser'. Is there any way to remove these?

I'm quite certain that's the weather info you're talking about. You'll need to install NitoTV, and then install MainMenuWeather from NitoTV.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Some dead ends" listed in Zeroconf. Are you talking about where you add Video sources within XBMC? The Zeroconf browser when adding new Video sources, will list all Zeroconf enabled devices by default, and it will even list the same ones in several protocols, like SMB and AFP. That's normal behavior. Just add the ones you need as Video sources, and don't worry about the others. If you've already added a video source that shows up in Videos in XBMC, that doesn't have anything in it, you can delete it by holding down the Menu button on the remote for 3-4 seconds, and selecting Remove Source.
(2012-05-30, 19:09)crawl Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 17:21)Happy Wrote: Hi, I think you might be right. The weather my friend had on his was displayed in the space above NitoTV etc. Do you have a pic of the weather so I can see if it's the correct one before I go to the trouble of installing it?

I'm quite certain that's the weather info you're talking about. You'll need to install NitoTV, and then install MainMenuWeather from NitoTV.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Some dead ends" listed in Zeroconf. Are you talking about where you add Video sources within XBMC? The Zeroconf browser when adding new Video sources, will list all Zeroconf enabled devices by default, and it will even list the same ones in several protocols, like SMB and AFP. That's normal behavior. Just add the ones you need as Video sources, and don't worry about the others. If you've already added a video source that shows up in Videos in XBMC, that doesn't have anything in it, you can delete it by holding down the Menu button on the remote for 3-4 seconds, and selecting Remove Source.

Thanks, how do I install NitoTV?

What I mean by dead ends are these ....

Only the middle one is of any use, the other two are just 'dead ends' as they don't go anywhere/do anything so I'd like to delete them.
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
(2012-05-30, 19:35)Happy Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 19:09)crawl Wrote:

Only the middle one is of any use, the other two are just 'dead ends' as they don't go anywhere/do anything so I'd like to delete them.

To install NitoTV, do this:

SSH into the AppleTV.
Enter the following commands, one line at a time:

echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
apt-get update
apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV
killall Lowtide

The install part of that will take a few minutes. Wait on it to do its thing.
The killall command will restart your AppleTV. That's normal.
When your atv2 restarts, you should have NitoTV available. You can install other utilities from within NitoTV, including the Weather one.

Regarding the 2 custom network locations you created, it's a little more difficult to remove those. And it won't hurt anything to leave them there, as long as you remember which one actually works. But if you really want to remove them, here's how:

Use Cyberduck or WinSCP to connect to your atv2. Navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata.
Find the file "mediasources.xml" in the userdata folder.
Copy it to the desktop of your computer.
Open the xml file with Notepad or Textedit.
Find the "bad" sources you added, and delete their entries from that file.
Then copy the "mediasources.xml" file back to the atv2 in the same location you got it from.

Like I said, it's probably easier to just leave them as they are if any of the above sounds too difficult.
(2012-05-30, 19:58)crawl Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 19:35)Happy Wrote:
(2012-05-30, 19:09)crawl Wrote: I'm quite certain that's the weather info you're talking about. You'll need to install NitoTV, and then install MainMenuWeather from NitoTV.

To install NitoTV, do this:

SSH into the AppleTV.
Enter the following commands, one line at a time:

echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
apt-get update
apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV
killall Lowtide

The install part of that will take a few minutes. Wait on it to do its thing.
The killall command will restart your AppleTV. That's normal.
When your atv2 restarts, you should have NitoTV available. You can install other utilities from within NitoTV, including the Weather one.

Regarding the 2 custom network locations you created, it's a little more difficult to remove those. And it won't hurt anything to leave them there, as long as you remember which one actually works. But if you really want to remove them, here's how:

Use Cyberduck or WinSCP to connect to your atv2. Navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata.
Find the file "mediasources.xml" in the userdata folder.
Copy it to the desktop of your computer.
Open the xml file with Notepad or Textedit.
Find the "bad" sources you added, and delete their entries from that file.
Then copy the "mediasources.xml" file back to the atv2 in the same location you got it from.

Like I said, it's probably easier to just leave them as they are if any of the above sounds too difficult.

Thanks for that. Smile I'll give NitoTv a whirl later. Smile

As for my other problem, I think I'll just leave them be. Wink

Moving on, XBMC is currently downloading 'movie information' and creating a list of movies that or on my TC within the 'Movie' title within XBMC. I'm in the habit of turning everything off at the socket when not needed. Will this 'scan' take place every time I switch the ATV on?

Secondly, my 'friend' had his set up in such a way that when scrolling through the list of movies you could read the description about the movie and watch the movie trailer/preview, how do I set this up?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Ok, next problems, I have 166 movies in a 'Movie' folder on my TC but XBMC has only recognised/listed 163 of them. Any idea what's wrong?

Secondly, On my TC I've got my TV shows in their own folders with the seasons in sub folders. i.e. TV Shows/CSI: Miami/Season 1/*episodes* and so on for various different shows. XBMC isn't recognising them, when I go to XBMC/Videos/TV Shows there is list of all the TV shows but when I try to open the shows to view the episodes nothing is there. However, if I go to XBMC/Videos/Files/TV Shows and click on any of the TV shows it opens up and I can see all the various folders for all the different seasons. Open a folder and I can see the episodes. How do I set this up so I can view the seasons/episodes under XBMC/Videos/TV Shows?
16GB WiFi iPad 2 iOS6
32GB iPhone 5 iOS6
Movies probably: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...les/Movies
TV probably: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...s/TV_shows
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie looking for some help.2