Linux Change hostname without breaking things
Ok, I want to go on the record and place my hand on a digital bible or whatever to swear that I've thoroughly searched, searched again, searched google and my hair has turned 3 shades of gray since last night looking for info on this.

What I'm doing:
I'm trying to change the hostname of my XBMCLive install (installed to HDD) from XBMCLive to MediaDragon...
I've done this 3 times on fresh installs by editing the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files...

The problem:
Every time I do this when I reboot the system it only boots to a login prompt.
I'm assuming that its breaking X and not allowing startx to run but to be honest I'm still new to configuring X therefor, I keep breaking it and not being able to figure out for the life of me how to fix it....

The plead:
Any help what so ever would be great. If I need to read more I'm willing... I just don't want to start pulling out my now gray hair over something that should be simple >_<

Thanks in advance!
Apparently there is a script that changes it back.

Is there an /etc/xbmc/live.d dir? The script should be in there.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I only ever change /etc/hostname

Works for me.

Network and ssh login prompt both hold the value after reboot without issue
Its not changing back... It breaks XBMC so that it only boots to a prompt and not into XBMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change hostname without breaking things0