Win Sharing files over the internet and accessing them from another location
I would like to share files on my computer and stream them over the internet. I have 60 mbit/s upload and download speed so bandwidth should not be a problem.
I do not need any kind of web interface, I just want to connect the two places together and be able to browse remote content in XBMC.
I have a dedicated server computer running windows server 2008 r2 SP1, which all my drives are connected to and the local sharing part is working fine.
What is the best way to share my media over the internet ?
Use upnp, but because upnp is lan only, vpn in first
I would use FTP. Easy to setup and can be use as a source in XBMC. You may want to get a DNS redirect service if you don't have a static IP. I use dyn.com free and easy to setup.
Yeah I would agree, FTP is probably the best option.
Thank you for your answers, but I have already tried FTP and I didn't get full speed when streaming/downloading my media. I barely got 1 mb/s down which is not enough for HD streaming or streaming of large iso files. I also tried webdav, I got full speed which is around 5 mb/s when downloading through the webdav server but for some reason I didn't get the streaming part to work through it, I got an "MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED" error in the log file when I tried to stream through the webdav server. I will probably try to set up a VPN tunnel next, unless someone knows why I get so low speed through the FTP server or why streaming through the webdav server is not working. By the way, I was using the built in IIS software in widows server 2008 for the webdav and ftp servers, so if I should try any other FTP server program (I don't mind if I have to set up Linux), please let me know. Smile
share or stream?

An easy streaming solution is the PogoPlug. You'll need a pay-for account though i think to stream video. It's really streaming for dummies since you just plug into your network and plug some drives into the device. No setup needed.
(2012-03-19, 21:30)coastal Wrote: share or stream?

An easy streaming solution is the PogoPlug. You'll need a pay-for account though i think to stream video. It's really streaming for dummies since you just plug into your network and plug some drives into the device. No setup needed.

Actually, the PogoPlug does the transcoding itself. Crazy little box. If you get the pink one then they're only like $30.
Well, I already have a dedicated server computer with all my media inside so I would not like to buy a separate NAS drive, but thank you anyway for the tip Smile
I have this idea for when i get my Rpi, take my media center with me... i was thinking VPN, and then realised i already have a subsonic server, it handles the video too and there is an addon for it Smile min $10 donation towards server and an android app, Smile
But are you sure I can browse my media in XBMC using this method ? Anyway, I think I'm just going to try to setup a VPN server.
If you're wanting XBMC to stream in the content from a remote media server over the internet give this a go seems to work pretty well -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRYWh4ISf5w

If your after remote file sharing I'd say FTP for remote file access but make sure you set up the ftp software on the server to use FXP, it allows you to move files and folders around on the server without it downloading to the client pc and then re-uploading again.

More info about FXP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_eXchange_Protocol

Good luck!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing files over the internet and accessing them from another location0