Win mySQL Synced Library Question + Thumb Syncing Problems?
So I've spent the entire day trying to get all this stuff to work, and I'm finally breaking down and asking for a little help (and yes, I did relentlessly scour these forums to try and figure everything out). I have all my media on the E:\ drive of the computer in my bedroom, and I am using that computer to host a mySQL server so that it can share its XBMC library with the computer in my living room (which is hooked up to my TV). For the most part, it works. The videos can be played from both computers, and that makes me very, very happy. However, I can't settle for less than perfection, and I decided I wanted to move everything in my appdata\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails folder to a new folder: E:\Shares\xbmc\userdata\Thumbnails. I DID check to make sure I set the new folders to have read/write access, but there's a chance I messed it up somewhere...

I've noticed that since I've set everything up (which again, it works), I no longer have the ability to "set content" or "remove source" on my "Movies" and "TV Shows" folders under "Videos" in XBMC. It only gives me a dropdown with the options "play, add to favorites, mark as unwatched, mark as watched, update library." If I go to Videos -> Files, there's nothing listed there. Also, when I add a movie to the E:\Movies folder, and update my library, it makes the movie available to watch, but I can't seem to download any fanart or poster art using the built in XBMC interface -- in fact, when browsing through my Video or Movie or TV Shows lists, when I click "Movie Information" and then either "Get Thumb" or "Get Fanart", all the "Remote Fanart" entries are blank, 0 bytes, and never load. I suspect this may have something to do with how I've configured my Thumbnail sharing, but I'm also curious if I'm going to have this problem regardless of the picture art stuff. Does sharing your library using a mySQL server force you to edit your library differently? I haven't quite figured that out yet - most of the tutorials stop after you get it working haha.

Here is my debug file, it's chock full of errors, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong: http://pastebin.com/3KSZZiCr

And again, I'm sorry if I overlooked something that's already here, but I did spend a lot of time looking through existing posts to try and figure this all out. Thanks, I could really use some insight from you guys!
There is definitely SMB errors for when XBMC tries to create thumbnails/fanart. Double/triple check that guests have read/write access. Or, if those shares require a username and password to write, use "smb://username:password@server/" in advancedsettings.xml

You might need sources to be set the same on each machine to be able to remove/change content, etc. You can path sync your sources.xml file in Eden RC 2, or just copy it manually if you want to still have per-machine entries that differ.
What is the preferred method of path syncing the sources.xml file? Is it best to set up a Windows shortcut that points to the hosting computer's C:Users\AppData folder's sources.xml file? Or should I add a path substitution segment to the advancedsettings.xml file, and if so, what directories should I be using for the <from> and <to> lines?

Wait, just found this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ts_of_XBMC

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
<to>SMB://RDWhitney-PC/E/Shares/xbmc/userdata/sources.xml</to>
</substitute>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/mediasources.xml</from>
<to>SMB://RDWhitney-PC/E/Shares/xbmc/userdata/mediasources.xml</to>
</substitute>

And then copy those two files from my AppData folder on the host computer, and paste them into the userdata folder within my Shares folder?
I have Eden RC 1, if that makes a difference.

I can't really try this until I get home today, but I'll let you know how it goes. If you guys see any other glaring problems, let me know. I'm also going to triple check read/write permissions on Shares...
Alright well in case anyone else has the same problems, doing that worked like a charm. I also set the permissions on my E:\ drive to give Full access to pretty much everything haha, and then did the same for the Shares folder that was right under E:\. Thanks for your help Ned.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mySQL Synced Library Question + Thumb Syncing Problems?0