Artist Information Errors
I would like to state initially (because i know its going to be suggested that this is in the wrong area) This is not an issue with the scrapers.

So here's the problem...

All my songs, are tagged in the regular artist tag by the collabarating artist, in a way that XBMC seperates the artists when it scans them (i.e. First Artist / Second Artist / Third Artist / etc...) in the Album Artist Tag I have the Proper artist wgose name the album was put out under.

Example Song #1:
Code:
Album: The Chronic
Artist: Dr. Dre / Snoop Dogg
Album Artist: Dr. Dre
Song: Nuttin' But A 'G' Thang

Example Song #2:
Code:
Album: Doggystyle
Artist: Snoop Dogg / Dr. Dre
Album Artist: Snoop Dogg
Song: Tha Shiznit

Now what happens is when the artist info is grabbed for "Snoop Dog" it ends up being Dr. Dre or Vice Versa (depending on which was scanned first.)

I should also point out that my folder structure is as such
Code:
Music/AlbumArtist/[Year] Album/AlbumArtist - TrackNo - TrackTitle.ext

and in each AlbumArtist Folder is a artist.nfo which has the artist info completed (done by hand since scraping with AllMusic is pretty much useless now)

Additionally Fanart for the album artist is not being display (i realize this is because the ultiple artist in the "Artist" tag.
Also unchecking "Display artists that only appear on compilation albums" no longer hides extra artists (it did Dharma - Did this get changed so that it uses the "compilation album" tag to detect compilation instead of whatever method it was using before?)

Is there anyway to set it to ONLY get info for Album Artists, and Display Fanart based On the Album Artist?

These Isuues exists in all three configurations listed below:
Eden RC2 on Linux Mint 12 (ubuntu oneiric derivative)
Eden RC2 Ubuntu 11.10
Eden RC2 Windows 7

Is there something i can check or uncheck or should i post a ticket?
1. If you have album artist tag specified, then XBMC will use it and will ignore the artist tag of songs when determining the artist of albums.

2. Fanart for songs SHOULD currently use the album artist (if available) else drops down to artist (currently it would be the whole artist string - I have some changes for post-Eden that drops that back to primary artist).

3. Where it looks for the art and artist.nfo is determined as the root folder that contains all songs that match that primary artist (I *think*), except in the case that a single folder contains all the songs, where we take the parent. i.e. it's setup for artist/album/songs structure (one album -> go up another folder level). Check MusicDatabase.cpp::GetPathForArtist() or some such.

Feel free to explore the code (MusicDatabase.cpp basically) to ensure things are working like I say above. If there are issues, I'm happy to look into it after Eden.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I appreciate your reply, it does answer the fanart question.

however every song in my database is fully set... (believe me i put all this info in myself before they get to be added to my music folder, then check and double check) every tag in is complete including Albun Artist (and all m4a)
and still it doesn't use the album artist tag for lookup... it actually says when scanning "Searching for artist info Snoop Dogg / Dr. Dre" when scanning. That may be just how the skin displays it (Aeon Nox), i'm not sure... but still i end up with people in my library that only appear in my "Artist" tag and never once in my "Album Artist Tag" so either for random reasons its falling back to the artist tag unconditionally or for some reason its not recognizing that the artist tag is set.

P.S. Its not really a big issue, i usually just open up the db in a sqlite editor and modify them manually (but as I continue to rip my CD's to m4a - and alot of that being rap, where there is at least 8 out of ten songs with guest artists - [personal note: it seems rap artist can't seem to make an album on their own!]) this is starting to expand into a chore. Was just wondering if there was a way around all that work.
Yup - during scan I think it uses the artist tag, rather than splitting and doing per-artist. See MusicInfoScanner.cpp.

I can't recall offhand if I have that fixed in the branch that handles fanart.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist Information Errors0