Win How to properly configure audio for correct HDMI playback ?
Thanks, but as i've said in my previous post, i've tested Windows 7, and it's working as expected. As DDDamian said, problem was that this kind of feature/behavior is simply not supported under Windows XP. In fact, it's WASAPI wich is apparently not supported under XP. I can't turn off the sound in my drivers, otherwise i'll have no sound with MPC-HC.
But now, it's MPC-HC that's worked properly under XP (for video display) wich is now not working properly under Windows 7... Sad
Nevertheless, if the apparantly very near ffmpeg patch/update have the same multi-threading level that there is in ffdshow for 10bits x264, i'll may probably don't need MPC-HC anymore...
i have the same problem with xbmc under windows7

xbmc11 stable
interface HDMI dts and ac3 enabled of course. speakersetup 5,1
btw: my xbmc11 audio configuration does not enlist ANY HD modes and such! what version are u using?

whatever, problem is whenever i try to play a movie with ac3 or dts i get the error cannot initialize audio device.

well, windows media center,vlc,... they all work perfectly with dts ac3 and other stuff. so why the frickin hell doesnt xbmc? and what can i do that xbmc uses the windows ressources as other playback software does it? xbmc does not need to mess with the audio hardware. its working. but xbmc tries it itself and fails.

so? what now?

setup acer revo2 (amd athlon2neo with nvidia ion chipset), win7 all drivers and os are up2date. wmc, vlc, mp, ... works. but xbmc Sad

regards

Simon
XBMC doesn't "mess" with anything to do with the Windows audio settings, but they need to match. WASAPI is part of Windows, introduced after Vista SP1, so it is not in XP.

If you want HD audio formats like DTS-MA/TrueHD you can use my build here.

If it says it cannot initialize audio device you are using DirectSound, not WASAPI. Rigght-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, and select Playback Devices. Configure the HDMI device for the right number of speakers, then go to it's properties. In the first tab it will list what encoded formats your audio device supports, which may or may not include DTS-HD/TrueHD. Go through the tabs and disable any effect, set volume to 100%, and on the last tab, Advanced, check both "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". Now you are using WASAPI exclusive.

In XBMC make sure you have selected HDMI, exclusive mode and that the driver selected is WASAPI: xxxxxxx HMDI xxxxxx, not a DirectSound: xxxxxxxxx

That should make everything work and give you the best output quality.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Well,
its HMDI under Windows7. There is no possibility to adjust the speakersetup at HDMI "matching" my speaker-setup. WMC and other just stream direct via HDMI and my amp knows what to do with it. DTS and DD is working like a charm with VLC and WMC. so the sound setup is okay. literaly there is no WASAPI device . just my HDMI device (showing the name of my amp), the analog speaker device (not connnected) and the TOS digital device.

HDMI speaker configuration shows only stereo, because that is the current signal windows sends. (amp shows stereo). if i start playing e.g. a mkv with ac3 track i got clean 5.1 DD at the amp.

so whats the difference between e.g. vlc and xbmc and y is xmbc not able to do it the same way?
and if there is a difference do you need a special driver? who does maintain it? where can i d/l it?

i tried your version but this didnt worked too. except that now the movie runs at 4x speed. (but only at those with DD or DTS and the audio problem occurs)
the settings u mentioned i already tried before i did post my problem here.

regards

Simon
btw: the Audio device i did choose at xbmc is "VSX-1021-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)"
exclusive mode is set and ofcourse enabled in the device settings (defaults).

the other device i have is "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)" but i wanna use HDMI not TOS

i really dont understand why xmc does not work under win7 with audio over hdmi (more than 2 channels). Wink
XBMC does work with more than 2 channels over HDMI, as I stated above. You need to do as DDDamian stated above. Go to your control panel, go to Sound. On the playback tab select the hdmi device. Go through Properties, AND Configure buttons.
(2012-04-01, 06:49)Jogee Wrote: XBMC does work with more than 2 channels over HDMI, as I stated above. You need to do as DDDamian stated above. Go to your control panel, go to Sound. On the playback tab select the hdmi device. Go through Properties, AND Configure buttons.

well it does NOT work.
and it would be very kind if you would start reading my posts too. Wink i already stated that before that there IS NO SUCH WAY as ddd said.

THATS WHY i wrote him the names of my interfaces. there is NOTHING named wasapi... or similar, just was is wrote above.
Also it is a matter of fact that all other application dont have such a problem, the problem is xbmc. THATS WHY i did ask what is the difference of xbmc to other working applications. THATS WHY i did ask if xbmc may need special drivers which are usually not installed by default. if it need "wasapi-drivers" then it would be more successfull to gimme a link to them or point to a website where i can download them.

but repeating telling me to try something that didnt worked because of the reason i already wrote is really no help and to be honest somekind ignorant.

so instead repeating yourself, what about answering my questions? maybe considerung using a different way maybe a more (windoze-)standard way to use sound under windoze. dont tell me that wmc and vlc and wmp and winamp and all other software doesnt use the usual way and thats why they work and xbmc is the only using the usual way and thats why it doesnt out of the box. Wink

my target is to use xbmc with sound over hdmi. so once again:
the interfaces are three: HDMI, Speakers and Digital Output.
means: HDMI, ANALOG and TOSLINK
the HDMI interface has added in its name the name of my amplifier.

the HDMI interface has configuration Stereo because Windows usually sends Stereo until a program send DD or DTS encoded streams.
Thats why i cannot "choose" 5.1 which would match my speaker configuration. but since u said u want SIMILAR speakerconfiguration under windows AND xbmc i changed the configuration in xbmc to 2.0 to achieve that.

the other settings u mentioned were already set.

same problem! xbmc was unable to initialize the audio device.

Well, WMP, VLC and all other mediaplayers play DTS HD, DD, DTS, THX, ... without a problem.

try to understand my point of view and think logical. if all programs dont have an audio issue playing audio over hdmi (not only MS software) and only ONE program has an issue, is it logical to blame the environment or the one program?
simonlange,

I reread your post and I missed where you said the audio device isn't intializing, I'm sorry. jpsdr's problem is different than yours, although audio related. If you hadn't hijacked the thread, I would have been paying more attention. I'm also wondering why I'm bothering to help you when you're being so rude.

I have had the unable to initialize audio on my setup, and it's always been when I've started XBMC before I turned on my amp. It's a stupid question, but what order do you start up your amp and XBMC?

The reason everyone is repeating themselves is because they are trying to describe to you what should be there in Windows -- not to be rude or talk down to you. When the developers are telling you to check there, it should be a strong hint that the issue is in the Windows audio, not XBMC. If you were thinking logically, then you would have chased down the issue in Windows 7 or elsewhere.

There are no XBMC drivers, to be blunt. WASAPI is the new audio system in windows, and the drivers for Windows 7 are built around it. If there is no WASAPI listed interface, then something is wrong with your audio drivers or your installation.

There are a couple of things I've noticed in your setup that you can try, if you are willing. But I need to ask some possibly dumb questions:
  • What is the default audio playback device in your Windows Sound playback listing?
  • How is your Revo connected to your amp? It sounds like you also have TOSLink connected as well as HDMI. If so, remove the TOSLink.

Another thing that I find strange is that XBMC is picking up your AMP as the HDMI device. Do you have HDMI Standby Through enabled on the amp? I have it enabled on mine, as well as HDMI control off, and I see my NVidia HDMI listed. I don't think it would help, but you can try turning those two options off.

In my setup (Revo R3610, Intel Atom with NVidia ION, Win7-64bit running XBMC v11 stable) I have only the HDMI connected to the amp from the PC and obviously then HDMI to the TV. I have HDMI as my default audio playback and it's configured for 5.1, and the properties on it have all the post processing effects off (advanced tab). I'm running the 296.10 nvidia drivers which include the 1.3.12 HDMI audio drivers, and the R256 Realtek audio drivers. XBMC is set for HDMI output at 5.1 using the NVidia HDMI WASAPI interface (I have WASAPI and directsound labeled devices for analog, nvdia, and even a primary audio device as options). I also have AC3 and DTS enabled. I have no problems playing ac3 or DTS material in multichannel.

Try to understand my point of view and think logical. If others, such as me, are telling you they have a similar setup and have no problems playing AC3 or DTS, then maybe it isn't a problem with XBMC?

If you want more help, post a debug log to pastebin.com, and post which drivers for video (including hdmi) and audio you are running. I know you wrote you updated them, but if you are asking for help then you have to give a little.

Ciao.
Here we go:
as said there is no NAMED "wasapi" device. but there are. and they are working fine,
i dont see the "logic" to blame windows if all programs are able to render sound as stream via hdmi to the amp successfully but only xbmc has an issue.

the order of powering on is different. sometimes the amp is first but usually the revo does run all the time and only the amp is off sometimes.

the cable-infastructe is as follows:
revo -> hdmi multiplexer -> touchscreen
multiplexer, ps3, xbox360, wii, netgear ntv550, maxdome -> amp -> speakers // hdmi multiplexer -> beamer, 52" tv set

revo works fine with every software but xbmc if sound is required (more than 2 channels).

toslink is not connected. no need for. i got hdmi and it works (not for xbmc but for every (!) software else).
personally i guess xbmc is not coded at the standard api like other sw does. somehtin used too close at the used hardware. just a guess, dont know it ofcourse but the symptoms are classics if a sotware does not participate of the correct configured environment and "requires" special modifications.

does maybe xbmc has a problem with wint x64? does it only work with creative cards or equal?

id love to get in touch with someone with a "similar" setup. i have not seen one here in the forum. most using linux which is complete different. or they are using complete different hardware. or even different os (some vista some even xp).

i will try any suggestion which does not potential destroy my configuration for the other programs. right now ALL other software but xbmc does play dts dtshd dd ddhd thx and more without any problem audio via hdmi without modify the configuration.

where does xbmc write its logfile with debug information? i going to start another run in dbug mode and we will see. also im gonna post a dxdiag report so u got all versions u may need.

meantime, someone with a revo2 and windows and audio via hdmi and xbmc under windows may join this and share his/her working configuration. searching the board and google didnt brought anything usefull.

Simon
Simon - you must not have search much or you would know how to post a Debug Log. Nor have you verified that you tried anything we've said. In fact you're one step away from being banned.

Follow what we've suggested and verify that you've done that, then post a Debug Log. Long posts filled with speculation and no data are not going to solve your issue or get you further responses.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Wow, nice setup, if a bit complicated. It's a shame you were not able to answer all the questions I had, I would have liked to help you, especially as I think XBMC is a great product that works great on my Revo under Windows 7 and audio via HDMI.

Check my previous post for where to find the log file. I linked to the wiki where to find it and how to set it up. When you've explicitly answered all my questions in my last post, I would be happy to try again to help with your problem.

Ciao.
(2012-04-01, 18:01)DDDamian Wrote: Simon - you must not have search much[/quote)
I did. as said noone had a similar setup. most threads i found were for linux and xbmc, useless for windows with xbmc.

[quote='DDDamian' pid='1063030' dateline='1333296074'] or you would know how to post a debug log.
well, i searched for ppl with similar problems not howto debug xbmc workflows.

(2012-04-01, 18:01)DDDamian Wrote: Nor have you verified that you tried anything we've said.
wrong, reread and if u dont undestand reread again. Your suggestions were tried and they didnt work. meanwhile i write more than a couple of times. how often must i post it, you understand that your suggestions DID NOT WORK?! Wink

(2012-04-01, 18:01)DDDamian Wrote: In fact you're one step away from being banned.
LOL for stating questions and answering ppl who dont read what i wrote? LOL

(2012-04-01, 18:01)DDDamian Wrote: Follow what we've suggested and verify that you've done that
DID that! READ! for christ sake: READ! only thing i didnt was debugging yet. this all blabla about wasapi was a lil weird because if someone uses win7 why pinpointing to wasapi anyway? that was really a waste of time. thats why i did ask if you maybe talk about some special wasapi driver which then use the string wasapi in the device name. (because my "normal" wasapi devices dont use actually the string "wasapi" in the name. useless to say that i wrote that too a couple of times.)

(2012-04-01, 18:01)DDDamian Wrote: , then post a debug log.
Confused read what i wrote: i said im going to do that. oO
(2012-04-01, 18:01)DDDamian Wrote: Long posts filled with speculation and no data are not going to solve your issue or get you further responses.
LOL speculation because i didnt get one answer and no date is wrong too, i told you alot (hardware specs and such. only information i did not provide are the exact versions, which i will provide - as i wrote already.

xbmc is nice, i know it for years. but even the best program has sometimes some potential for getting better. this is no offense. dont take logical critics as offense or you wont get far. but your biz not mine. as wrote before if i have time i gonna debug and send the output and the dxdiag report. beside, instead posting a nother url would it be so hard to pinpoint if userspace , program space or system log is the location? i bet posting the url did need more space. Wink

whatever Rolleyes
Buh-bye-la. Have a break and think about things. If you intend to insult those you ask for help the next ban is permanent.
(2012-04-01, 18:35)DDDamian Wrote: Buh-bye-la. Have a break and think about things. If you intend to insult those you ask for help the next ban is permanent.

only person who did swear others was you btw. whatever, i dont care. if you wanna discuss this dont abuse your power, just switch to personal message. this is offtopic btw. Wink banning for critics and other opinion than yours is very exposing. last words on this: as said, i tried all ur suggestions and im thankful for ur attempt, but it didnt worked (4th time i write this now). but u didnt answer my questions btw. so if you may have the kindness to do that it would be nice. if not, well guess i have to live with that. Big Grin

@jogee: only answer i didnt give u was the default: it is - of course - the HDMI device.
the two options u mentioned in the amp hdmi configuration i already tried before i did post here. but that didnt solved it nor changed the error or behavour.
i noticed that u using an old revo while i am using a revo2. guess the drivers of the new model look just different. of course i did look at acer's site for alternative drivers than those they provide when you buy the revo2. but could find different ones.

in a couple of minutes im going to try get some usefull output of xbmc while debug mode is enabled. cross fingers. Wink
the output along with a dxdiag report im gonna post here.

regards

Simon
Simon,

You didn't answer any of my questions directly. I asked several, and I asked you to answer them directly. Which you ignored or just didn't want to answer because you think you answered them already. I don't care if you think you answered them already, I wanted you to state is specifically, because I need to know exactly not just "trust me".

Since you can't deal with that, nor can you actually read anything yourself, I'm unsubscribed from this thread. If you're not willing to give me answers to the questions I ask, I'm not going to bother to waste more of my time. I've been more than nice, and I even took the high road to get you to cooperate.

Good luck on your own. It's a shame you will never be able to get XBMC to work for you. Its a fabulous program and I want to thank all the developers for putting so much free effort into it for me to enjoy.

Ciao.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to properly configure audio for correct HDMI playback ?1