System running to multiple TVs
I am attempting to set up a system so that I can have a collection of music videos playing. I'd very much like to have approximately 8 TVs set up to the same video input so that each will show the music video of the current song playing.

To the best of my knowledge, this means that each TV must be connected to the output of the PC running XBMC so that they all are showing the same media at the same time. So although I can use smart TVs to stream videos, I can't get the unified music video playlist without directly connecting each to the PC. (Correct me if there is a way here).

I would like to know the best way that people can think of connecting up this system. Currently each TV is already hooked up to an amplifier (for regular TV broadcasting) and if I were to follow the same cabling routes it would be about 10-15 meters (30-50ft) to each TV from that amplifier. However, not having the PC next to the amplifier would be useful so that distance may have to be longer (another 10 meters (30ft) at max depending on where placed).

Although, if necessary it would probably be possible to wire directly to each TV from the PC which could potentially be minimized to about 6-8 meters (20-25ft).

Note also that it's not necessary to transfer audio if it's easier to transfer video large distance on its own as the audio will be connected to a separate sound system.

I hope someone can help me. Ask me any questions if I wasn't clear enough.

Pluckerpluck

p.s. This is still early stages, so if there's some amazing way to transfer video to TVs nowadays that feel free to share that. Turns out researching this is amazingly hard... not many people seem to face this scenario.

Edit: Oh, and minimizing costs would be nice as well. Slight video loss in quality is allowed.

Edit 2: The music videos can be up to 1080p as that may make a difference here.
Basically you just want to send the signal from a PC (I'm assuming DVI or HDMI) to 8 TV's.
I think the most cost effective solution would be a HDMI Amplifier Splitter over CAT5e/CAT6. I linked to a Monoprice HDMI splitter kit as a example of what I'm suggesting. I originally thought of suggesting a HDMI distribution or Matrix switch but the cost of 8 30-50ft HDMI cables alone is likely is higher then the cost of this entire kit.
Also I have never used HDMI over cat 6 so I have no idea how good the video quality is.
That's what I've thought of going with so far. Seems like the most reasonable option. I've heard that the video quality is means to remain good. Does anyone know how well these work?
Do the TV's have DVI? If so, a DVI or even VGA splitter might be the most cost effective. There are wireless video solutions out there, but wired is going to be cheapest if you get your cabling from the right place (monoprice.com for example)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
System running to multiple TVs0