Ssd drive dead?
Hi my htpc a zotac zbox hd -id 11has a serious problem. On startup i get a message that drive is bad and i must backup and replace. I ignore this but while pc is running it halts by itself .
On bios i see temparuture around 100 degrees hot.is that because of bad drive ?any way to fix an ssd drive?
100 deg Celsius?
Yes that's correct
That's your problem then. The electronics in that system (or any other PC) is not designed to run consistently that hot. heck, that's the boiling point of water! Fix the heat problem before you run it any more or you'll smoke everything.
100C seems hard to believe, almost everything throttles down before that temp in modern computer components, there is some problem. What temp is that for CPU, NB, etc? If that temp is correct any errors related to the SSD could easily be from poor computation wherever that heat is.

If this heat problem is something else, then it sounds like a S.M.A.R.T error thrown by SSD, no real way to fix that, you could try a "secure erase" but I doubt that will do anything for S.M.A.R.T error.
Your getting smart error. And you muct be reading those temps wrong. There is not way your at 100 in the bios screen unless your CPU HS has come loose. But it would not be related to the SMART errors. You could shut off the SMART in the bios and your drive my last awhile but as far as fixing a drive....no
welcome to the world of SSD! RMA it and get another/replace with mechanical.
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
yes if u can RMA, go on.

if u cant, use PARTED MAGIC and perform secure erase on it,

then, reinstall OS
well today I got no error on startup but after an hour it halted again. I think i will buy a mechanical drive. It seems ssd was a bad choice and i saw no benefits while running yavdr
What brand/model SSD are we talking about here, if you don't mind me asking...
100C = unstable operation which can manifest itself in many ways, ie drive errors, system locking up, etc. Fix your temp problem before you send anything back. The SSD may be working perfectly, but the overheated CPU it delirious with heat and thinks it isn't.

Of course you can always just buy a HDD and then decide to replace the entire box after it still locks up. BTW - HDDs generate more heat than SSDs do.

Not sure? Take the SSD out and try it in another system.
Well i am back with news. well after i checked the box there is damage on one side next to the fan. Seems that fan stopped working and that damaged the ssd. I hope that there is no damage on other parts also.a technician told me that he will try to fix or replace the drive and also to allow the fan working at full speed. Maybe that's the end of this pc usage. Will start looking for a new one
well, SSD's produce virtually no heat and,
i doubt the dead case fan is culprit for it not to work,,,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ssd drive dead? 0