A few basic questions
Hi,
Im new to XBMC (about an hour ago),
i have a purpose built HTPC which I use WMC on at the moment. I saw alot of hype about XBMC so i thought id give it ago
all seems well except no option to use my TV tuner. After reading some info am I right in saying that you cant use a TV with XBMC, unless you
somehow set it as a network location?
I checked out MythTV but all the info i could find seemed abit above me, and I'm usually pretty tech savvy!
I havnt installed any add-ons yet but this seems easy enough it reminds me of Cydia on a JB iPhone.
What im trying to achieve (and from what ive found so are many others) is to be able to use my TV tuner without leaving XBMC. Is
this possible?

many thanks
You can do it, but it isn't going to be something that will work after flying through a few on-screen wizards. As you've already discovered TV watching in XBMC is a 2 fold process. You need a backend to do the recording, and then some way to use XBMC as the client.

If you can get a backend running with the tuner there are several built-in ways of connecting via a video source: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Typ...ic_Sources

If you require more functionality (like the EPG, Live TV, etc) you might want to look into the PVR development branch. The wiki does a good job giving an overview and a place to start but you'll need to compile these trees from scratch (for the most part, there are binary builds but you'll have to cruise the forum to find links). http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR

I currently run a MythTV backend with the CMyth addon, it works great but the entire PVR branch is considered in development so expect some minor issues (and sometimes a major one). For the most part the developers are good at solving these issues but nothing is 100% yet.
As you are using WMC at the moment, you could easily (as I do) go with that quickstarter:
  • download Mediaportal
  • tell the installer that you only want a tv-server (this is your backend)
  • download margro's actual pvr-build and his actual MediaPortal-plugin
  • read his how-to (!!!)
  • install the mepo-plugin
  • start and configure the tv-service and the mepo-plugin
  • install XBMC, configure it and you're done Smile
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2012-03-20, 18:19)Fry7 Wrote: As you are using WMC at the moment, you could easily (as I do) go with that quickstarter:
  • download Mediaportal
  • tell the installer that you only want a tv-server (this is your backend)
  • download margro's actual pvr-build and his actual MediaPortal-plugin
  • read his how-to (!!!)
  • install the mepo-plugin
  • start and configure the tv-service and the mepo-plugin
  • install XBMC, configure it and you're done Smile

Thanks for the reply. Yes am using WMC at the moment with a single tuner for TV only not PVR.
I already have XBMC installed. so will the steps still be the same?

EDIT**
I managed to get it all working thanks, great advice. Only gripe is its just not very user friendly with a remote control (wifi one)
Ill see if i can get this any easier by playing with settings. for anyone else i used this really badly written guide, though it had pictures which helped for visuals. http://www.krzywanski.net/archives/811

A few things not mentioned, you have to go into SYSTEM/TV and enable tv first, and you have to enable the plugin which is in SYSTEM-ADD ONS- INSTALLED-PVR CLIENTS and find media portal and enable it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few basic questions0