Win Windows 7 x64 Database Problems
Finally got my purpose built HTPC up and running, unfortunately I've run into a few problems with the Video database.

After reading about Shadow Defender on the forum I decided I would give the trial a go as a means of protecting my hard work! Big Grin

I started off with the latest version, and put my HDD into Shadow Mode after I'd configured everything to my liking. I set exclusions for the XBMC userdata folder and for the XBMC installation folder, I rebooted to test, and everything remained the same - perfect! After an evening of viewing with no hitches, I shut it down - no crashes or anything like that.

Next day when I started it up the first thing I noticed was that Windows disk check ran on start up, then once XBMC had started it was obvious the skin had reverted to Confluence and all of my guisettings had been lost too. Now as for the databases I was able to browse Music and Movies without a hitch but if you try to do the same for TV Shows it tried to launch Videos in Library Mode but no data was showing at all.

I deleted the Videos database, re-scanned all my media and restored all my settings and everything seemed to be working again. I also took a database backup this time... just in case!

Now I've had this situation repeat itself perhaps five or six times in the space of a couple of days. In that time I've tried two different (older) versions of Shadow Defender though this doesn't seem to have changed the behaviour at all.

Yesterday I decided to uninstall Shadow Defender and test my setup without it. Unfortunately I booted up this morning to find another disk check, corrupted database, skin reverted to confluence and all guisettings lost.

I've checked my eventlog but nothing is showing up in there, I've also done plenty of searching the forums but I cannot seem to find anyone with the same problem as me Confused

Anybody have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Should also mention I'm running Windows 7 x64 SP1 with XBMC 10.1
AMD A6-3500
ASRock A75M-ITX
4GB Memory

I'm still trying to retrieve a debug log when this occurs.... as soon as I get my hands on one I will post it
XBMC won't cause your machine to run a disk check at start up regardless. You've either got underlying file system corruption (possibly caused by Shadow Defender or something else) or potentially a faulty HDD. Considering it's a new build, before going any further, I'd just do a full disk check using the manufacturers utilities and then leave memtest (or equivalent) running overnight to ensure you haven't got any memory issues.
Thanks for the lightening fast advice, will give these steps a go and report back!
I ran memtest which passed with no problems, SMART status for the SSD was clean as was the hard disk test.

In light of this and given that I've no previous personal experience of ShadowDefender I decided to wipe and reinstall everything again from scratch, just without SD - so far I've had no database corruption... 1 day and counting!!

At this stage its looking like SD may have been the culprit.

Hopefully this info may prove useful to someone else in the future Smile
I don't know Shadow Defender, but it sounds like it monitors for changed or "corrupted" files and tries to fix them. Great if you exclude the right directories. It might have been trying to "fix" the database files XBMC was writing to and you ended up with corrupted files, which Windows then noted and tried to run disc scans as a result.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 x64 Database Problems0