• 8(current)
[solved] Eden Audio Quality
(2012-04-25, 09:29)basco Wrote: i also set headroom to 0.

You can leave that out... It doesn't do anything anymore:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1077564

(2012-04-25, 06:35)davilla Wrote: Ok, two test builds, that's right a blind test which seems fitting for audio issues. Test both, pick the best one. Note the version (order) does not necessarily mean the later one might be better than former other.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14341410/XBMC-audio-test4.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14341410/XBMC-audio-test5.zip

Same here: will try to test it this evening (in about 10 hours from now)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
I guess more people would test if this thread would be moved to OS X specific support.

I cannot test myself as I don't have a AV receiver and all seem to be fine with usb or stereo output.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-04-25, 06:35)davilla Wrote: Ok, two test builds, that's right a blind test which seems fitting for audio issues. Test both, pick the best one. Note the version (order) does not necessarily mean the later one might be better than former other.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14341410/XBMC-audio-test4.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14341410/XBMC-audio-test5.zip

Also, please do not add any advancedsettings.xml tweaks, this introduces too many variables and XBMC should be doing the right thing without them. Fiddling with limiterhold and limiterrelease will only muddy the waters and confuse the results.

As always, tested with clean userdata and no tweaks whatsoever. Simply changed to HDMI output in the settings.

Test4 still sounds like as bad, but test5 actually sounds great and i cannot hear anything wrong with it. Overall sound volume is on par with other OSX apps, and the volume level is not going up and down. I thought i detected a small bit of distortion but that was probably my imagination.

But this was just a quick test, now i have to get something to eat and then listen some more.
move thread to osx section...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Zokkel; all good. just, as you pointed out, sometimes it's good to think twice when choosing words, that was really my main point. i understood from the very beginning you weren't trying to be naughty.
(2012-04-24, 22:35)davilla Wrote: let me see an Audacity capture again, 1st 30 seconds of compressorxbmc.mp3

That's not the best sample in my opinion, i used the same song than i did with my previous graph

Here's a new one. From top to bottom: Eden, Finder, testbuild5

I have also been struggling with this problem for some time now. Thought it was my amplifier, but after reading this and tested with earlier versions of XBMC I now know for sure that there's something wrong (or radically changed) with the the new release of Eden.

I have a Mac Mini and use optical out. I have tried the advancedsettings.xml, but it just created another problem. First I had the limiter problem. All music sounded crappy and was compressed. After I altered the advancedsetting.xml I got the audio distortion problem. When I roll back to Eden Beta 3 all problems magically disappear.

I will gladly contribute to the problem solving here, as I'm pretty tired of the crappy audio.
Test this build and confirm if it's ok http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14341410/XBMC-audio-test5.zip

Backup your existing user data first, looks like this test build will upgrade your database version.
thx for testing toiva
No problem. I listened some more songs randomly and everything sounds great.
Davilla!

What do you want? Belgian chocolat or Belgian beer?
Cause you did it my man. For me it works...

So all you others with this problem, please try test5! So we can be sure it's fixed for all of us...

Goodnight!
Slow down cowboys Smile This is just the first steps in doing a fix... Identify the issue. Next we look at fix ramifications and possible interactions with other playback that uses audio. Once we pass these, then we can slam it into mainline.
Just for the records... for me it's also working. Purrs like a cat. Let us know if we can help in further testing.

Anyway thanks a lot for the fix
(2012-04-25, 22:42)davilla Wrote: Slow down cowboys Smile This is just the first steps in doing a fix... Identify the issue. Next we look at fix ramifications and possible interactions with other playback that uses audio. Once we pass these, then we can slam it into mainline.

Would a build based on current stable Eden with this fix included be doable? No way as a official release but shared via your Dropbox account or some other way.
(2012-04-25, 22:42)davilla Wrote: Slow down cowboys Smile This is just the first steps in doing a fix... Identify the issue. Next we look at fix ramifications and possible interactions with other playback that uses audio. Once we pass these, then we can slam it into mainline.

Ah... In that case, you have to wait Wink

Don't know if it's any help but here are two waveforms:
1st: played in itunes
2nd: played in test build 5

Apart from the 2nd being a bit quieter, I don't see and can't hear any difference.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] Eden Audio Quality1