Lossless Audio-CD ripper encoder codec (flac, wavpack, etc.)?
Lightbulb 
because of the large "cheap" storage possibilities we can obtain, it seems to me regular audiocd's are played best from a lossless format.
seems to be another gpl licence problem or am i wrong?
perhaps there are other problems?

anyway, would be very nice to be able to rip audiocd's in a lossless format.
wav's are lossless :p

there's no issue with ripping to a different lossless format - you just need to code up the encoder (or a suitable interface to a dll for instance). flac is likely reasonably easy to do, as we have a dll ready for this - someone just has to take the time to code up an interface for it. any volunteers?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:wav's are lossless :p

there's no issue with ripping to a different lossless format - you just need to code up the encoder (or a suitable interface to a dll for instance). flac is likely reasonably easy to do, as we have a dll ready for this - someone just has to take the time to code up an interface for it. any volunteers?

Is this quote still the state of this issue? I've dug a bit and while no threads but this one directly request this it's mentioned in many others.

It would be great to specify external encoders. I can do UI mockups but the coding I would be at a loss for.

grip (linux app) does something nice where there's only a couple fields to input. Common things like output path are global. But /path/to/encoder and it's arguments are unique.

One could "Create new profile" input a couple of items and save. By default, XBMC can choose to ship a couple but having something like this could open things up to any encoder a user wanted.

Crazy?
Yes, that quote is the state of play.

To be honest, we're not really interested in using external encoders - IMO someone just needs to implement flac - we have libflac there ready to use.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:To be honest, we're not really interested in using external encoders

No problem. I figured something that wasn't tied to internal encoders would be a bit freeing but I also see the benefit of staying internal.

As long as folks could set a couple options if FLAC support were implemented that would be cool. Smile
Only option you really need is the compression level, right? Which nowadays is kinda meaningless for FLAC given that level 9 compresses faster than the disc can rip anyway on most machines.

jmarshall Wrote:Only option you really need is the compression level, right? Which nowadays is kinda meaningless for FLAC given that level 9 compresses faster than the disc can rip anyway on most machines.

Correct. Most folks will just want to play with compression. -8 being = to --best (what I use). Some folks use less compression as they feel that the less processing power it goes through to decodes effects the sound.
lol

AddictedToMetal Wrote:Correct. Most folks will just want to play with compression. -8 being = to --best (what I use). Some folks use less compression as they feel that the less processing power it goes through to decodes effects the sound.

of course that only goes to show their limited mental abilities.
spiff Wrote:of course that only goes to show their limited mental abilities.

Thanks spiff, I needed a good laugh this morning.

I really did LOL.
Hey, give the guy a break, we use gzip compression on the forums to reduce loading times, maybe something got lost in translation.

(couldn't help myself)

TheUni
theuni Wrote:Hey, give the guy a break, we use gzip compression on the forums to reduce loading times, maybe something got lost in translation.

(couldn't help myself)

TheUni

Big Grin
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
lols
I really hope flac ripping will be possible soon, that would be really awesome! Smile
Thumbs up for that feature!
Question 
Is there a way I can add FLAC recording support to XBMC? At the moment it only appears to support Vorbis, Lame and Wav. I therefore have to rip CDs separately and transfer them into the library - bit of a drag :-)

TIA
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lossless Audio-CD ripper encoder codec (flac, wavpack, etc.)?0