Linux XBMC Buntu - Drive sharing
Hey guys, I've just installed XBMC Buntu on my system over the weekend and am a little confused by the cut down Linux interface. Being a Linux noob without all the GUI bits I can't figure things out.

How to I make Linux automatically load/map my NTFS data drive with every boot so that XBMC can always access it?

Also, how do I create a network share with full read/write permissions to everyone on my network for my media folder? All XBMC Buntu seems to include is a File Manager and a Web Browser.....
Hi, not sure if this helps as "Newbie leading newbie!" but I have a dual boot Win7 with XBMCBuntu.

I had to install SAMBA and add to workgroup.

It works only problem I have is it does not start with XBMC, I have to go to Desktop and just highlight Shared Folder in File manager and go back to XBMC and my shares are there. I have asked for a solution here without success.

Cheers

Alan

You can edit your fstab to mount network shares. Either using CIFSor SMBFS.
Try to follow this tutorial: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
Linux Mint x64
Intel Core i5
8 GB DDR3
NVidia 8800 GT

Mediacenter:
Zotac ZBOX HD ID40
2 GB DDR2
NVidia GT218 ION
XBMCbuntu Eden
I think everyone is misunderstanding me. Confused I don't want to access a Windows network share on another computer with the HTPC, I want to create a network share with full read/write access for everyone FROM the XBMC Buntu machine so I can copy media to it from any system in the house..... It needs to be accessible from Windows machines.
I agree with mjw25a.... a little help would be appreciated.

I store some of my media files on my xbmc.
I move them there from my win 7 box.
In order to do this I have to be able to see that xbmcbuntu drive from my win7 box.

Right now I have wasted drive space on my Xbmc media box.
install and configure samba (smb)
I've already given up on this. I went back to XBMC on Windows 7 even though XBMC Buntu has noticeably better picture and sound quality. Should have thi stuff built in already.
if you do want to venture away from windows 7 i would suggeat you look at openelec as it does have the functionality you require baked in without any setup required, however the guys are correct you need to install samba and create a new share within /etc/samba/smbd.conf (i think thats right) when first setting up xbmcbuntu.
Hi Guys..

I have a similar problem, only I get a permissions denied on my USB shares from remote PC's.

I have used many diffrent apps, to see if I can mount my drives read and write, but this fails after every reboot.. I have 2 usb drives one is 1tb and the other is 2tb, but its mounted randomly as /media/1tb or /media/my book or somethimes /media/sda1

I have used partition manger to manage my fstab but then I just get a error starting XBMC, to press s to skip mounting the disk or M to manualy mount it.

Samba is a real pain in the backside to configure an USB share, but mouning an usb drive read and write access with the same name seems even harder.

I have my XBMC setup with all my files and everything, I access it over UPnP from various devises, so it does work, but I would like to keep it running untouched and add new content remotely from my win7 laptop or ubuntu PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Buntu - Drive sharing0