Linux XBMCbuntu high CPU use
Hi,

I am running XBMCbuntu beta 3 on a 3.0GHz dual core AMD system with radeon HD4200 graphics card and 2gb ram

I am just finding the whole system slow and laggy. Selections in XBMC take a few seconds to execute and in the LXDE desktop applications take some time to open.

I ran the onscreen debug in XBMC and the CPU runs at around 70-80% pretty consistantly.

Is there anyway to figure out what is causing the issue?

Thanks

Dave
this could be for lag in xbmc menu's

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Dirty_regions
WE ALL WE GOT
Are you running from a File server?
This should be expected if you remotely access your library. The GUI needs to access the details remotely, so you are limiting XBMC to your Network speed.

A 3Ghz system permanently at 75% is pretty serious.

Your specs are more than adequate for XBMC, so it maybe a case of reinstalling.
Might be an excuse to go for the Official release too. Wink

You would also get better assistance if you posted your logs.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
I'm having the same problem. I'm completely new to linux and as early as yesterday I installed XBMCbuntu and raspbmc on my raspberry PI. My xbmcbuntu lags like a bitch, it takes about a second or two after I press something on the keyboard untill something actually happens. The CPU usage is all over the place, ranging from about 40-50% to 90%. I tried launching a movie and it played with an fps of about 1.

The computer I'm using is pretty shitty, but I was thinking that sinse this can work on a tiny Raspberry PI, it should work on this computer aswell. I'm looking at the requirements for xbmcbuntu and it says "Very fast modern dual-core processor is required to decode H.264 videos in FullHD (1080p).", how is the Raspberry PI doing this with it's tiny processor?

I have not done anything sinse the installation. I tried playing the movie off the network, but the lagging was there sinse the very beginning.

Specs:
HK: MSI K9VGM-V
CPU: AMD athlon dual core 4200+
2GB ram
On-board GPU (VIA Chrome9)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu high CPU use0