A bit of an absurd question (regarding surround sound interconnection)
Music 
So I recently revived an old Laptop for use as a xbmc pc and love it. Soon, I plan to build up a proper system, probably very similar or identical to eskro's A8-3850 build.

Regardless of what I build, however, I have a bit of a problem. The sound system I use is a somewhat inexpensive, but for the moment, reasonably capable system from LG (HT303SU). I intend to replace it with a high quality system (which I will connect using S/PDIF) in the future, but for now I see no reason to replace it. Unfortunately, it only has stereo RCA inputs, and I really hope to be able to make use of surround sound. This LG system can also decode and play DivX videos by itself, and when it does, can output the surround sound that is encoded into the DivX file.

So my question is, is there any way I might be able to get a surround sound signal from my xbmc box to the receiver? I am not opposed to opening this thing up and wiring directly to an IC if that were somehow possible. Like, for instance, if there is some standard way of digitally passing audio around amongst different IC's inside the receiver, and I could somehow hijack one of those lines and output directly from the PC.

I realize this is a bit of an absurd question, but it drives me nuts not having surround sound when I know the movie file has it built into it, and I really want to make do with this stereo system until I finally spring for a proper high quality receiver and speakers.

Any ideas?
It's not a ridiculous question at all. The first thing that comes to mind would be a USB sound card. They make ones that connect via SPDIF or Optical (TOS Link) that will deliver 5.1 sound to the receiver.

You don't mention how old, so I don't know if the USB ports will be sufficient (Some USB sound cards might have a 2.0 requirement) or what O/S is on the laptop (Some of the less mainstream manufacturers may not provide drivers for Linux)

Best of luck in your quest for surround sound Smile

Probably not the answer your looking for, I think the cheap and simple way to get sound from your receiver is to use this - http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2 it will get you 1/2 way there.
The money you save can go toward a upgrade on your new system.

+1 on Driver's suggestion.

If you only have stereo inputs on the audio system, then the mini-to-RCA cable is really your best bet.

The USB sound card may be able to give you better sound quality, but you'll still only be able to use the stereo input on your audio system.

"Hot-wiring" an IC may be plausible, but that is far outside my electronics knowledge. IMO, i'd just suffer through the Pro-Logic, or Pro-Logic II output by your LG system, and start saving for that new gear!
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A bit of an absurd question (regarding surround sound interconnection)0