Linux XBMCbuntu hangs at install with black screen
Thumbs Down 
Been trying for two days to upgrade to Eden and I'm stuck. The installer hangs on a black screen after the splash screen and reacts to nothing. I can't get to other tty's to see what's going on.

My system is the following:
- Zotac Geforce 9300 ITX-Wifi with latest BIOS
- 2GB RAM
- Pentium 2.6Ghz
- 32 GB SSD OCZ Vertex Turbo

The system ran Dharma Live fine.

When I remove quite splash from the start command line, I see the following errors:

Code:
Begin: Adding live session user ... pwconv failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 0600
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your selected hardware modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
* Starting restore sound card(s') mixer states [fail]
* Loading fallback graphics devices [fail]

Then the screen goes black on both HDMI & VGA, the disc stops spinning, spins up again a bit and then just hangs.

When I try with nomodeset and acpi=off, no go either. It just hangs as well. Ctrl+Alt+F6 does nothing either Sad

I have googled everywhere around but cannot find the solution.

Who can help me to get this up & running? I have no way to look at logs or anything else...
I am no linux expert, but did you check the MD5 of the ISO or re-download it?

Reflash or burn it to USB/CD?

One time I tried to install ubuntu I made the usb boot drive on windows, and did not hit the "eject device" to safely remove it, and it did not work until I plugged it in and did that on a windows machine...

Just a few ideas
use CD not USB installer
Hello

Same Board Zotac Geforce 9300 ITX-Wifi with 2GB Ram
HDD 2000GB Seagate

i've same problem too, run from CD and stops at a black screen like deej.
The last Build from Openelec with Eden RC2 runs perfect on the Zotac, but its not XBMCbuntu.
(2012-03-27, 19:54)acegis Wrote: use CD not USB installer

I did actually, so that's not the problem Sad
A third way is to try ubuntu single install and then install xbmc and the last nvidia driver.
And than troubleshooting witch remote, auto startup, bootscreen and the automount of USB devices. grrrrr...
Smile 
(2012-03-28, 16:57)sascha@ac Wrote: A third way is to try ubuntu single install and then install xbmc and the last nvidia driver.
And than troubleshooting witch remote, auto startup, bootscreen and the automount of USB devices. grrrrr...

Good news!!! At XBMCfreak they have a version of XBMCbuntu with newer nvidia drivers: http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcbuntu-11-...at-update/.

This one installs fine (even though the boot process still complains about lirc and fallback graphics stuff)! For safety reasons I did select F6 at install and chose nomodeset. But other than that it works. Menu sounds, remote controls, everything Smile! Yaaaay!

So the problem must be in the version of the nvidia drivers included in the original XBMCbuntu, which is based on the official Ubuntu repository
Hello Deej

Thanks, i will try it now with XBMCbunutu ! My test's with openelec and ubuntu 11.10 doesn't fit with my Board and my TVCard.
So, will test it, thanks

Greetings from Aachen GERMANY
Sascha
The solution for me was the press the any key. Your PC might go on screensaver and display's nothing. Stupid I know. Pressing a key will display your installation again, so nothing is actually wrong.
(2012-07-14, 15:29)Nehbur Wrote: Stupid I know.

+1
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
+1 nividia drivers and installs that goto sleep have made me miss out on hot dogs ice creams and pop corn.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu hangs at install with black screen0