Xbmcbuntu vs lubuntu
Hi all,

I am very interested in what is different between the two of them.

I am about to reinstall my server and I wanted to install Lubuntu12.04 and then install xbmc so that I have both a desktop but mostly xbmc to start automatically at boot.

Xbmcbuntu in based on Lubuntu11.10 and does what I said above. But what else is it doing? I installed a Virtual machine with xbmcbuntu and I saw that they changed an icon on the desktop. The splash screen is already change to xbmc. I guess we could say that upgrade for xbmc are already configured in the depo. I guess they removed the software that are not likely needed on a htpc (abiword calculator etc.)

So my question is other then these little thing that are easy to spot upon a first boot. What else is different from installing Lubuntu and then xbmc?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
Depending on what kind of differences you are after the answer could be none or many.
Assuming you do not want a complete list of difference in packages and config files you need to be more specific.

Most likely the answer is: no difference you have to worry about, both are Ubuntu.
Obviously the difference between Lubuntu12.04 and xbmcbuntu is that the latter is Ubuntu 11.10.
I guess you are right and my question could be more specific.

I understand one is 12.04 where xbmcbuntu is 11.10. Do you happen to know if they will upgrade it to 12.04?

For the ubuntu part they are the same. The difference being in the application xbmcbuntu removed like the calculator.

Is there anything special about the configuration of xbmc in xbmcbuntu that would make me want to install that instead of Lubuntu12.04?

xbmc normally do not upgrade the OS between versions but perhaps 3rd party versions will be avaible.

xbmcbuntu has many tweaks to make it very good to use on a htpc. If you do not need that or prefer to do all that work yourself there is no other benefits with xbmcbuntu.
Since this is a bit tricky I prefer to use xbmcbuntu as a base and then add what I need on top of it as there is no limitation for this at all.
Would you happen to have a few example of those kind of tweaks that make it very good to use on a htpc?
Just to give me an overall idea.
(2012-03-27, 21:54)nokio Wrote: Would you happen to have a few example of those kind of tweaks that make it very good to use on a htpc? Just to give me an overall idea.

good question. I would also like to know, and aside from that what is the real advantage over
having a desktop behind it. What can it give me that I can't do from a console or cron.
Lets see without it I use about 256megs of memory loading XBMC, i am sure my way is faster load time because Im not using a desktop behind it, which by the way is a desktop environment known with all sorts of audio issues which is something I frowned upon when I got into MYTHTV which also can run without it. I can see one advantage here and that is the Ubuntu and the XBMC forum will get postings which would grow interest in XBMC even more other then that I will stick with no desktop and leave the desktop in another partition in case it is needed for anything, hidden from view. Even fluxbox is lighter weight.

Why do you need to use 12.04? What features/benefits will it give you over 11.10 that will affect your XBMC experience? Just a thought.
I agree, I don't think I would really gain anything from 12.04 over 11.10. But that was not really the question.
It's more about what is different between xbmcbuntu versus an lubuntu with xbmc installed after(make it a lubuntu11.10 if you prefer)

It is not that I need a 12.04 Lubuntu. It is a lot more that I want to understand the tweak that could have been done between the 2 as I find that interesting.
Well try it and see.
I don't want to be rude but I guess you did not read my first post. I did try it and I am still trying it.

Someone said yesterday " xbmcbuntu has many tweaks to make it very good to use on a htpc "

Those are the kind of thing I would love to read about.
I might have found some and I might have missed quite a few during my test.
Are there any special apps added like the ones for mythbuntu to make setting up easier
for the average user? I agree with the lubuntu name.. some of use still use a mini ubuntu
install and put xbmc on it bypassing the whole install of a Desktop GUI, and there is
plenty of reference to it that is going to be hard for some people to figure out which one
is being referred it.
Here are a few thing i can say about xbmcbuntu after a few hours.

At first it boot directly into xbmc. If you exit and log back into the desktop, on the next reboot it will auto log into the desktop instead of xbmc.
Inside xbmc, it's the same thing as any other xbmc eden you would install.
On the desktop you have Chromium Web Browser and that's pretty much it.
You have the nvidia driver already installed.
You have all the codec you need(at least i was able to play all my stuff out of the box) So I guess lubuntu-restricted-extra are installed out of the box.
For the GUI every icon from the bootup up to inside the desktop is tagged as xbmc.
The fonts and dpi are already configured to that everything seems to be readable from my tv.

So I guess you save a 30-45 minutes configuration time for someone who knows what to do.
Otherwise it is great for someone who know a lot less about linux and want it to work perfectly out of the box.

I still can't find any specific tweak to the distro that would make it work better or something compared to installing a lubuntu and then xbmc on top of it.
(2012-03-29, 21:25)nokio Wrote: Here are a few thing i can say about xbmcbuntu after a few hours.

At first it boot directly into xbmc. If you exit and log back into the desktop, on the next reboot it will auto log into the desktop instead of xbmc

Anyone know how to change it back to boot straight into XBMC again?
(2012-03-29, 23:50)PogMoThoin Wrote:
(2012-03-29, 21:25)nokio Wrote: Here are a few thing i can say about xbmcbuntu after a few hours.

At first it boot directly into xbmc. If you exit and log back into the desktop, on the next reboot it will auto log into the desktop instead of xbmc

Anyone know how to change it back to boot straight into XBMC again?

Log out of the desktop. From the login menu select xbmc instead of xbmcbuntu and log in. Upon reboot, you will boot back into xbmc.
(2012-03-28, 21:57)nokio Wrote: I don't want to be rude but I guess you did not read my first post. I did try it and I am still trying it.

Someone said yesterday " xbmcbuntu has many tweaks to make it very good to use on a htpc "

Those are the kind of thing I would love to read about.
I might have found some and I might have missed quite a few during my test.

Oh sorry Confused

I should have read it more thoroughly and been more constructive Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu vs lubuntu0