blu ray drive in htpc or stand alone blu ray player?
Any pro or cons of having a blu ray in htpc vs buying a stand alone blu ray player; which are cheap now a days; in terms of quality. I know that for htpc, additional purchase of software will be required and benefit of having all in one unit?

here is what i'm getting for htpc
case: Wesena Mini ITX7-2
cpu: AMD A8-3870k
Motherboard: ASRock Socket FM1/AMD A75M-ITX USB 3.0
SSD: Patriout Torqx 2.5" SSD 32GB SATA II
PSU: Pico PSU- 150-XT Plus 150W Adapter Power Kit http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-150-XT-1...-Power-Kit
RAM: 2 x 2GB total 4gb
Since I never build or buy any HTPC without BD-ROM, I might be bias toward internal BD-ROM. I always thought that having internal BD-ROM in HTPC give me an all-in-one solution. I can use the BD-ROM to enjoy blu-ray disc from RedBox, Netflix, Blockbuster, etc and I can use it to rip my blu-ray disc for backup.....

You'll enjoy your AMD A8-3870K with BD-ROM in it.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Internal... I don't like boxes, all I want is my HTPC near the TV with one cable. Adding different boxes with different functions makes it look messy...
cool.... and how about the quality (video or audio) and 3D with an internal blu-ray vs stand alone...
(2012-03-28, 06:19)wildzx Wrote: cool.... and how about the quality (video or audio) and 3D with an internal blu-ray vs stand alone...
With proper configuration, it is on par with standalone player....

I have both, but end up using my stand-alone player for my Blu-ays. Though I use my HTPC for DVDs...

I find my stand alone looks a bit better. Same audio and video connection method, same display,etc. Both my player and HTPC go through a receiver.. Btu hey, if you need to save space, power, of power plugs.. go with the HTPC. I also found it a bit of a pain to get my HTPC to play BDs in a way that was easy and looked good.. I assume it'll be easier with the final release of Eden.
I am in the process of trying to get an internal bluray player to work in my HTPC, I thought it would be easy but it's not so be prepared for a bit of work to get it setup and working correctly. The easiest by far is to get a cheap standalone player, plug it in and off you go, an HTPC is nothing like that.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-03-28, 17:25)DavidT99 Wrote: I am in the process of trying to get an internal bluray player to work in my HTPC, I thought it would be easy but it's not so be prepared for a bit of work to get it setup and working correctly. The easiest by far is to get a cheap standalone player, plug it in and off you go, an HTPC is nothing like that.

David
Are you trying to use BD-ROM with XBMC or PowerDVD?

(2012-03-28, 17:39)bluray Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 17:25)DavidT99 Wrote: I am in the process of trying to get an internal bluray player to work in my HTPC, I thought it would be easy but it's not so be prepared for a bit of work to get it setup and working correctly. The easiest by far is to get a cheap standalone player, plug it in and off you go, an HTPC is nothing like that.

David

First stage is trying to get TMT5 to play nicely which at the moment on HD audio it doesn't. The next step is to get XBMC to launch the external player. My initial attempts don't work with TMT5 but do with PDVD9 so for now I am concentrating on just getting TMT5 to work as a standalone player.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
+1 for the standalone......XBMC plugins seem to be broken more often than not so I also like the fact I have an easy interface for my web apps via the blu ray set top box.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
(2012-03-28, 19:11)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 17:39)bluray Wrote:

David

First stage is trying to get TMT5 to play nicely which at the moment on HD audio it doesn't. The next step is to get XBMC to launch the external player. My initial attempts don't work with TMT5 but do with PDVD9 so for now I am concentrating on just getting TMT5 to work as a standalone player.

David
Are you having problem getting TMT5 to playback by itself or as XBMC external player? If you tell me a little more about your problem, I might be able to help. I'm very familiar with TMT5......

If you install AnyDVD HD, XBMC can playback blu-ray disc directly on BD-ROM too......

I have been able to get TMT5 to work correctly. It appears TMT5 is not compatible with Realtek HD audio driver so I am now using the AMD Catalyst HD audio driver.

Next stage is to load TMT5 as an external player from XBMC. I have a playercorefactory file already, I just need to modify it correctly for TMT5.

David
(2012-03-28, 23:54)bluray Wrote: If you install AnyDVD HD, XBMC can playback blu-ray disc directly on BD-ROM too......

How?
(2012-03-29, 17:07)DavidT99 Wrote: I have been able to get TMT5 to work correctly. It appears TMT5 is not compatible with Realtek HD audio driver so I am now using the AMD Catalyst HD audio driver.

Next stage is to load TMT5 as an external player from XBMC. I have a playercorefactory file already, I just need to modify it correctly for TMT5.

David
If you configure it right, you should be able to just select blu-ray file from XBMC UI and it'll launch TMT5 automatically. To get back XBMC, you can simply press stop and backspace.....

If you running into any trouble, PM me....I can help you on it....

(2012-03-29, 20:54)Frozone Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 23:54)bluray Wrote: If you install AnyDVD HD, XBMC can playback blu-ray disc directly on BD-ROM too......

How?
Here is how----

1. Download- AnyDVD HD....you'll have 14 days free trial. You have to reboot your HTPC after your installed AnyDVD HD.

2. You can turn off auto play in Windows 7 control panel as shown in my screen shot below so that when you insert the disc, it'll not auto play with external player (TMT5 or PDVD10).

3. Launch XBMC

4. Insert blu-ray disc

5. Click Play Disc option from XBMC UI as shown in my screen shot below

6. Enjoy the movie.......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
blu ray drive in htpc or stand alone blu ray player?0