Questions about upgrading to Eden from Dharma
Hello,

I have searched the threads high and low and tried everything suggested there and in the Wiki....I need help.

A couple of questions for someone smarter than myself about upgrading and MySQL databases.

I have windows 7 computer that I use as a server. This computer has the MySQL database on it. I have 5 other computers (windows 7) that this computer serves content to. I have been trying to upgrade one of the 5 computers to Eden from Dharma, and I just can't get it to work. Please see this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127027

So my first question is: Do I need to do the first upgrade to Eden on the computer that has the MySQL database installed or can it be done on any computer on my network?

My second question has to do with granting privileges to the MySQL db. For some reason, when I try to enter the password into the MySQL command line client, it closes right away so that I can't add "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';" Now I am doing this using the "Remote Desktop Connection", if that makes a difference? So I am using HeidiSQL to get to my XBMC database. Heidi shows me that all available privileges are checked for "Server Privileges" and "all databases". Can this be done with HeidiSQL rather than the command line client?

My last question for now is concerning this line in the Wiki: If your upgrade fails with database errors, you should edit your advancedsettings.xml and remove the lines <name>myvideos</name> and <name>mymusic</name>. They are only needed if you want to use multiple Video or Audio MySQL databases.

Is this saying that the names of the new XBMC databases do not need to be in the advancedsettings.xml file? So I would not add <name>xbmc_video60</name> and <name>xbmc_music18</name> to the advancedsettings.xml file? Is this true?

Please help.

Thanks,
Mark
never put the number in the name. XBMC puts the number on automatically. If you put <name>xbmc_videos60</name> then XBMC will look for "xbmc_videos6060".
(2012-03-30, 05:15)Ned Scott Wrote: never put the number in the name. XBMC puts the number on automatically. If you put <name>xbmc_videos60</name> then XBMC will look for "xbmc_videos6060".

Hi Ned,

Yeah...I noticed that was what happened as far as XBMC looking for "xbmc_videos6060". So if I understand this now...the advancedsettings.xml file no longer has to have the name of the video and music database within it as before in Dharma? Because from what I can tell, if it is supposed to be there XBMC does not put it there. So....how does XBMC know what database to look for then?

Mark

P.S. Can anyone help answer my other questions?
You can keep using the <name> tag, but it's not necessary. If you remove it then XBMC will just use a default name (I believe "myvideos" and "mymusic"). It should work with or without the name tag as long as the DB number is not in the name tag, but some people said they had problems and could only fix it by removing the name tag completely.

The best/safest thing to do is to backup everything (userdata folder, your mysql DBs, do a library export via XBMC). Then drop/delete the active mysql DBs and import from your library XML backup. Basically, you're treating it as if it were a fresh install using your backup XML file.

I'm not sure on the exact errors on your MySQL server. I have limited experience when it comes to different MySQL server software.

Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about upgrading to Eden from Dharma0