• 3(current)
Video scaling in Eden
@StinDaWg: DXVA on the HD6570 and Lanczos3 optim on others due to lack of shader power and my preference for additional sharpness. At normal viewing distances there is none/very little visible difference between the various Lanczos3/Spline options. So there is a good amount of placebo too. Smile

@rainking430: There is an option at the end of that dialog to apply it to all videos.

@oldpoem: Alright, I also wanted to test the ffmpeg upgrade for myself. Click the link in my sig and you will find a build based on a recent master.
Sweet! Thanks!
(2013-04-14, 22:23)a11599 Wrote: @oldpoem: Alright, I also wanted to test the ffmpeg upgrade for myself. Click the link in my sig and you will find a build based on a recent master.

Thanks! It looks real good except internal english subtitles (SRT) is not working anymore. Not sure if this problem exist in latest nightlies. Going back to 12.1 for now. HQ Scaler looks good though.
Yes, the build was made just before the fix was merged. I suggest to wait until the end of this month to stabilize this merge window (there were some big changes in April) and then do a new build. As I tend to forget stuff, please just remind me in this thread at around 25th April. Smile
@rainking430: Do you have the issue that video goes black if you change scaling options during video playback?
(2013-04-15, 09:32)a11599 Wrote: @rainking430: Do you have the issue that video goes black if you change scaling options during video playback?

I tried your 12.1 on AMD 6450 & Nvidia GT210. Both works fine, no video goes black when change scaling options. Both use latest drivers.

I'd probably try it on ION next but I think it doesn't have enough power to accomplish the task?
(2013-04-15, 09:01)a11599 Wrote: Yes, the build was made just before the fix was merged. I suggest to wait until the end of this month to stabilize this merge window (there were some big changes in April) and then do a new build. As I tend to forget stuff, please just remind me in this thread at around 25th April. Smile
Just wait for the next alpha which is always the most "stable" monthly build. Heck, if you could do a monthly update on the newest alpha that would be great. (would be even greater to get this patch into main) Smile
(2013-04-15, 09:32)a11599 Wrote: @rainking430: Do you have the issue that video goes black if you change scaling options during video playback?

No, but I do get the video dropping out every few minutes if set to Lanczos3 or Spline. Doesn't seem to happen with either of the optimized options. FWIW I don't get that with MPC-HC/madVR set to Lanczos or Spline so maybe a bug? Running a GTX 460.

Btw, great work on this. I've retired madVR for the time being.
Thanks for the feedback guys. The video blanking thing then was probably a video driver issue. It was reported in the original PR, but this gives some hope and maybe I will update and re-submit the patch again.

Framedrop with the GTX 460 is strange. That card has plenty of power to do it. Even the ION should cope with at least the optimized versions. Might be a driver issue?
Maybe, but I checked and I am running the latest stable driver. Actually I don't think it's a framedrop, the TV literally blinks for a second or 2 like it loses the signal. Wouldn't a framedrop just be a stutter?
Yes, a framedrop is just stutter.
(2013-04-15, 13:28)rainking430 Wrote:

No, but I do get the video dropping out every few minutes if set to Lanczos3 or Spline. Doesn't seem to happen with either of the optimized options. FWIW I don't get that with MPC-HC/madVR set to Lanczos or Spline so maybe a bug? Running a GTX 460.

Btw, great work on this. I've retired madVR for the time being.

I'm not a big madVR user, but last I checked you couldn't use DXVA and Lanczos/Spline scaling at the same time, it was one or the other, just like XBMC is before this patch. If you have the cpu power to do high quality scaling, what do you need this patch for anyways? Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the purpose of this patch. It allows me to use Lanczos/Spline in DXVA when my 5450 normally only does bilinear. I do not have the cpu power to use Lanczos/Spline in software. And I don't understand why AMD limits my card when it has the ability to do Lanczos/Spline (regular as well as optimized versions) with no issues. I can't get HQ DXVA scaling to work in any other program, MPC-HC, VLC, Windows Media Center. It's all bilinear with no way to do better. I don't quite understand how this patch enables my card to do scaling in XBMC that no other software will do, but I'll take it.

@oldpoem, can your 6450 do both Lanczos/Spline and 1080i DXVA Best deinterlacing without stuttering? On my 5450 I can do everything but this combo. I only get about 38 fps. I'm considering upgrading my graphics card but don't want to go higher than needed because I don't game.
(2013-04-16, 11:59)StinDaWg Wrote: @oldpoem, can your 6450 do both Lanczos/Spline and 1080i DXVA Best deinterlacing without stuttering? On my 5450 I can do everything but this combo. I only get about 38 fps. I'm considering upgrading my graphics card but don't want to go higher than needed because I don't game.

I tested with 1080 ts music video file. GT210 can't do it. Has to be DXVA Best + DXVA/Auto Scaling to output 60fps.

I will test with 6450 later.

Edited: Tested the same files with 6450, all except one play fine with DXVA Best + Spline. The one that failed seems to be problematic file anyway, after I remuxed from TS to mp4 it played fine.

But then result from scaling 1080i to 1080p display with different method shouldn't be indifferent? I'm not sure about this though. But the results seem indifferent to my eyes except Spline + Deinterlace DXVA Best on GT210 can't output 60fps. I will try the same set of files with another system with GTX285 to see if it's just problem with Nvidia Drivers.
@a11599: Thanks for confirming that.

@StinDaWg: Not sure, maybe you're right? I only started using madVR recently and just followed a guide online to set it up in conjunction with my GPU, so I'm by no means an expert. I know some aspect of madVR hits my GPU pretty hard, because you can hear it's fan ramp up quick when I play a file. When set to use lanczos/spline/even softcubic it looked much better to me than what XBMC could do, but the annoying thing is that you have to use an external player to access madVR, and MPC-HC is just really limited both GUI wise and in what you can do during playback. Because this patch now makes lanczos/spline accessible within XBMC via DXVA, for me this has narrowed the visual gap enough that I have shelved madVR for the time being in favor of XBMC playback. Also, if I'm not mistaken, XBMC's built-in reclock option is similar to madVR's smooth motion feature. There are still a couple other things missing in XBMC vs madVR, but that's ok for now.

Update: So in researching this post, I think I need some clarification myself if anyone knows. I looked in madVR's options and find that lanczos/spline, etc. are only under Pixel Shader options. So what's the diff between DXVA and Pixel Shaders in XBMC? Does one give better PQ than the other? Do they both use the GPU? Can Pixel Shaders be used with lanczos in XBMC?
I'm not expert on this so this might be not totally right but I'm sure it's not totally wrong. But all scalers algorithm including Lanczos & Spline in XBMC (this patch) is using Pixel Shaders already. It's just that when DXVA is turned on they are normally limited to DXVA Scaling method. This patch removed that limitation and allow DXVA to be used in HW accerelated decoding task and allow pixel shaders scaling at the same time.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video scaling in Eden 0