htpc + receiver
found this forum via googling htpc's, tons of great info here.

My question seems unique. I have mini-tower htpc and a denon receiver. I want to build a new htpc, windows, group 7 Smile, but I want to connect my speakers directly to the HTPC. I don't want to use my denon receiver anymore.

It's not that I don't like it, but it's just something that sends sound to my speakers. I don't need a lot of power going to my speakers as I rarely crank it anymore. Running 5.1, klipsch speakers, forget the brand of my sub.

I can't find a sound card that supports typical theater speakers. I could try to convert it to rca/mini-rca, but surely there's some windows compatible device for using a better speaker system. My denon receiver allows me to define the frequency for the speakers, I doubt I can get that through a sound card but it would be nice.
You also need watts and output drivers with power capacity and low output impedence. Even at low levels. Why on earth would you want to get rid of the receiver and power those Klipsch's with something underpowered?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-30, 20:40)DDDamian Wrote: Why on earth would you want to get rid of the receiver and power those Klipsch's with something underpowered?
+1.....that's what AVR is for....you need AVR to decode and process audio codec and power speaker.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I guess the PC need in me thinks the PC should do everything

Is there a receiver that has better PC connectivity? i.e., my PC can tell the receiver to change inputs, volume, in a more robust way than a serial/descrete code? If seen some with USB, not sure if that's the purpose of that though

Thanks for the advice though
(2012-03-30, 20:13)fris Wrote: It's not that I don't like it, but it's just something that sends sound to my speakers. I don't need a lot of power going to my speakers as I rarely crank it anymore.

You should keep your Denon AVRWink as it is one of the best brands out there performance wise. I think lots of folks in this forum wish they had a Denon like you!!
See my sig Smile
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Agreed, keep the receiver. Most of us move our way up to a nice receiver, you're going the wrong way! :-)

keep your Denon
DDDamian, how does your android tablet control your system? PC only or does it control your receiver too?
I can find another loving home for it......and the Klipsch's Wink helluva nice bathroom setup lol

seriously though - no sound card is going to power those - just not going to happen from a PC power supply - you need an amp/receiver
check for an app called MobileMousePRO http://mobilemouse.com/
Another option would be to get a Logitech Harmony remote.
I use mine to control the TV, Amp, XBMC and its fully configurable.
i list many remotes and keyboard options in my HTPC guide...
I currently use Lenovo's ... 5902? Full keyboard that lights up, slider for page-up/down scrolling the web browser. I've gone through a few candy bar style and generic wireless keyboards w/ track ball/pads. what they're all missing is the ability to send control to my receiver, volume/source/etc. I don't need to adjust timing/delay (my unit doesn't have the mic to automate that) adn the other nitty griddy.
yepp, the LENOVO is listed in my HTPC guide, good choice

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
htpc + receiver0