[Apple TV 2] Updating install after a year
I haven't used my ATV2 since early last year.
It is running OS4.0 and xbmc pre10.5

Looking to upgrade the xbmc.
wiki says I need at least OS4.1. Is there an older xbmc version I can install on 4.0 or perhaps I can install 11 since this is an upgrade, maybe?
In short:

- The requirements are what they are, if at least 4.1 is required, then it is.
- Did you save your SHSH blobs for firmware 4.1-4.4 ?, because you have to flash and rejailbreak your device Sad
You can always just try to upgrade XBMC on the current iOS and try it. It's possible that we have the iOS requirement off. I had thought the 4.1 requirement was from the beginning, but I guess not if you have 4.0.
(2012-04-30, 21:27)Ned Scott Wrote: You can always just try to upgrade XBMC on the current iOS and try it. It's possible that we have the iOS requirement off. I had thought the 4.1 requirement was from the beginning, but I guess not if you have 4.0.

If I try the install, and 4.1+ is indeed needed, do you imagine that it would just abort and leave my current version intact and working or might it break?

Yeah there is possibility you break it. So before you start do the following:

1. Get iFaith, save your current SHSH blobs.
2. Download the firmware for your SHSH blobs.
3. Build a signed ISPW with your saved SHSH blobs and the downloaded firmware.
4. Get Seas0nPass, choose your firmware and start building a jailbroken one.
5. Insert Seas0nPass dmg files into your signed ISPW.
6. Backup XMBC userdata settings.

A. Try the XMBC upgrade, if it works go: YEE!

B. If not go: $@gr#$#Y@#$&^%@$#!
6. Start iReb from iFaith
7. Start iTunes (make sure you have latest version installed), then restore with signed firmware
8. SSH into device
9. Install Nito-tv
10. Install XBMC
11. copy XBMC userdata settings back to device.

If you find yourself stuck in Boo! and nothing works out PM me. I will fix it for you.
But make sure you have saved your SHSH and the FIRMWARE before you start on this journey.

Have fun Wink

(2012-05-02, 21:20)IT-King Wrote: Yeah there is possibility you break it. So before you start do the following:

1. Get iFaith, save your current SHSH blobs.
2. Download the firmware for your SHSH blobs.
3. Build a signed ISPW with your saved SHSH blobs and the downloaded firmware.
4. Get Seas0nPass, choose your firmware and start building a jailbroken one.
5. Insert Seas0nPass dmg files into your signed ISPW.
6. Backup XMBC userdata settings.

A. Try the XMBC upgrade, if it works go: YEE!

B. If not go: $@gr#$#Y@#$&^%@$#!
6. Start iReb from iFaith
7. Start iTunes (make sure you have latest version installed), then restore with signed firmware
8. SSH into device
9. Install Nito-tv
10. Install XBMC
11. copy XBMC userdata settings back to device.

If you find yourself stuck in Boo! and nothing works out PM me. I will fix it for you.
But make sure you have saved your SHSH and the FIRMWARE before you start on this journey.

Have fun Wink

I appreciate you time and assistance in this.

I have a question about step 2. When you say "download YOUR firmware“, I should get iOS 4.0 not the current?

If so I would be re-jailbreaking to my current OS?

In that case step 10 (install xbmc) will not work because it did not install the first time in step A.

So have I answered my own question and assume I will be downloading the current iOS version?
Don't worry about all that. You can downgrade XBMC very easily, so you don't have to start fresh to go back. Older versions, including the one you are using now, are still available at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2/deb/

So I would just try to update XBMC, and if that fails, do a manual update using one of the older copies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV 2] Updating install after a year0