• 5(current)
Option to use folder date for recently added movies
(2012-07-24, 20:27)HyperEscape Wrote:
(2012-07-24, 18:11)kricker Wrote: The nightlies are not for Eden. Nightlies are from the main branch which is always future forward. After a release is done, no modifications are made to it unless there is a major bug that has to be patched. So, in this case the nightlies will be pre-Frodo. After Frodo the nightlies will be pre-whatever.

You can install over Eden with the nightlies, and yes there may be bugs. There have been quite some substantial changes since Eden in the audio playback engine as well as other things.

So what is the difference between the nightlies in this branch

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/

and in this branch

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

and which is the most recent one to use.

Thanks for your guidance.

snapshots are the most "stable" release of nightlies before we start throwing in new code additions.
Nightlies are the most up-to-date ones
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-07-24, 20:36)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-07-24, 20:27)HyperEscape Wrote:
(2012-07-24, 18:11)kricker Wrote: The nightlies are not for Eden. Nightlies are from the main branch which is always future forward. After a release is done, no modifications are made to it unless there is a major bug that has to be patched. So, in this case the nightlies will be pre-Frodo. After Frodo the nightlies will be pre-whatever.

You can install over Eden with the nightlies, and yes there may be bugs. There have been quite some substantial changes since Eden in the audio playback engine as well as other things.

So what is the difference between the nightlies in this branch

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/

and in this branch

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

and which is the most recent one to use.

Thanks for your guidance.

snapshots are the most "stable" release of nightlies before we start throwing in new code additions.
Nightlies are the most up-to-date ones

Ok I have downloaded the latest snapshot from

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/...alpha3.exe

I have will be trying the feature just now. Just have a query. If I have a folder structure that under the root folder, there is one movie folder (by the movie name) for each movie file contained inside (MKV,AVI,MP4). For each folder and movie file the created and modified time is equal and the actual original date of acquisition (starting from 2008 onwards) . But each folder also has an NFO file (containing movie IMDB URL) exported from a media management program on a recent current date ( all NFO files in all folders would have the same date as they are collectively created for all folders), then which date would the XBMC read and store to do the sorting on date added. The advanced settings files is created as follows :

Code:
<<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
  <dateadded>1</dateadded>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks for your quick reply.
Any ideas....waiting for the help before scanning the library again and getting incorrect file sorting due to the newer (NFO) files present in the movie folders.

Just this little last information would kick me in the starting gear.

Thanks.
I don't think the .nfo file date matters. I just did a test by changing the modified and created dates for a .nfo file for today. The movie was still dated for 2011. When I re-imported the movie it sorted into the proper place based on the date from the movie file and not the .nfo file.
(2012-07-27, 08:01)kricker Wrote: I don't think the .nfo file date matters. I just did a test by changing the modified and created dates for a .nfo file for today. The movie was still dated for 2011. When I re-imported the movie it sorted into the proper place based on the date from the movie file and not the .nfo file.

Thanks. Am at work at the moment, would head home and try it over the weekend to post the results. Hopefully it is able to do the job as intended.

(2012-03-31, 21:19)Montellese Wrote: It didn't make it into Eden but it will be available in the next release by default: ea3835e1c14f530b15cb. Thse changes use the video files modification date (or in case of tvshows the directories creation date) and stores that into a field named dateAdded in the database. That field is then used for sorting by Date Added and for things like Recently Added etc.

Hi Montellese,

First, this is great stuff, as us people playing with database lots don't get the GF's in our necks Smile

however I seem to have ran into an issue with this here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=137118

Memphiz suggested to move it here and see what you think about this:

Issue: newly added older movies (lets say 2009) do not show up in recently added lists:

if you create a new folder (so today's date/time) and put a new movie (new is relative, new as in it's not in your database, but lets say a movie from 2009) in the folder, with a mtime/ctime of 2009 it will not show up in recently added, which to me is wrong as it is recently added (just now, today) but the due to mtime/ctime is will not show up, so maybe it's missing a check to see if the file is in the database, if not/new then it needs to be added to the recently added list which it currently isn't doing.

Thanks for taking a look.
Ahh now i got ya. But think a bit off it. This feature allows us to scratch the DB and start from the beginning. In that case you will get your DB populated with the movies in the right order based on mtime/ctime of the file.

At least i thought this is what this feature was introduced for.

In that case the movies aren't in the DB of course - so with your proposal the whole ctime/mtime wouldn't be used in that case.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That won't work. There is no "physical" recently added list. It's just a list of movies sorted by the dateadded value of every movie. So either you sort by the mtime/ctime of the movies or you sort by when they were added to the database. The former results in the new behaviour I have implemented while the latter results in the old behaviour present in Eden and earlier XBMC releases (and still available through an advancedsetting). An additional problem with the latter approach is that the current implementation removes a movie (and it's related file(s)) from the database when it is updated. So if I were to check whether a file is already in the database before adding it, the check would always be false because the previously existing entries were removed before adding the updated data of the movie and it's file(s).
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-08-01, 10:39)Montellese Wrote: That won't work. There is no "physical" recently added list. It's just a list of movies sorted by the dateadded value of every movie. So either you sort by the mtime/ctime of the movies or you sort by when they were added to the database. The former results in the new behaviour I have implemented while the latter results in the old behaviour present in Eden and earlier XBMC releases (and still available through an advancedsetting). An additional problem with the latter approach is that the current implementation removes a movie (and it's related file(s)) from the database when it is updated. So if I were to check whether a file is already in the database before adding it, the check would always be false because the previously existing entries were removed before adding the updated data of the movie and it's file(s).

Ok, gotcha, but why doesn't this movie show up then when I just added it ? the dateadded value now comes from mtime/ctime correct ? so it should show up in the list, however it doesn't, maybe because there are more movies "recently added" with a newer mtime/ctime then this "new" one and it's being pushed out of the list ?
Yes if your "new" movie has an mtime/ctime back in 2009 it's very likely that there are a lot of other movies with an mtime/ctime newer than 2009 so those movies will appear first in the list of recently added movies. And as that list only contains 25 movies by default and there are 25+ movies with a newer mtime/ctime than 2009 your "new" movie will not appear in the list.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-08-01, 11:48)Montellese Wrote: Yes if your "new" movie has an mtime/ctime back in 2009 it's very likely that there are a lot of other movies with an mtime/ctime newer than 2009 so those movies will appear first in the list of recently added movies. And as that list only contains 25 movies by default and there are 25+ movies with a newer mtime/ctime than 2009 your "new" movie will not appear in the list.

Ok, so the only way to solve this currently is to "touch" the file so it gets the current date into mtime/ctime, or changing it with advanced settings, which is fine if you know what you are doing, but lots of our users will have no clue about this and possibly will start to complain about not seeing their "new" movie in the list when they add them.

anyway around this from a programming standpoint ? ie. change the default again , and if you want the "dev. database convenience" set the advanced setting ?
or add more logic somehow ?

lets wait until they start crying ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-08-01, 13:50)Memphiz Wrote: lets wait until they start crying ...

I'll quote you on that ;-)

(2012-06-09, 10:20)Montellese Wrote: I have merged the pull request with the default value being the behaviour that prefers mtime over ctime or the current time. To get the old (Eden) behaviour back <dateadded> in <videolibrary> needs to be set to 0. To get XBMC to choose the newer date from mtime and ctime <dateadded> needs to be set to 2.
Isn't that what this setting is for?
(2012-08-01, 15:24)kricker Wrote:
(2012-06-09, 10:20)Montellese Wrote: I have merged the pull request with the default value being the behaviour that prefers mtime over ctime or the current time. To get the old (Eden) behaviour back <dateadded> in <videolibrary> needs to be set to 0. To get XBMC to choose the newer date from mtime and ctime <dateadded> needs to be set to 2.
Isn't that what this setting is for?

yeah, I know that, but the default will cause older new movies not to show up (see above story) or to quote Memphiz, let see if users will cry Wink

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to use folder date for recently added movies0