Win XBMC videos go *black* when moved to secondary monitor
Hi all, I'm new to XBMC and so far very impressed. I've hit one major snag though:

Running 11.0 Eden on Windows 7 x64. Sapphire Radeon HD4850 card. Currently have two monitors, one a 17" computer monitor (primary) via DVI and a secondary living room TV via S-video (separate story as to purpose behind S-video, but it's temporary). Monitors are setup as extended display, as they are different resolutions and cannot be cloned/mirrored.

My second display shows windows background, as expected for extended display. The easiest way I have found to move application windows to the secondary display is by using a Hotkey in Ultramon. I can successfully move other (non-XBMC) application windows to the TV this way, including Word, Waterfox, even videos in WMP and MPC, without issue.

When I move XBMC to the secondary monitor (TV), it shows up fine. Mouse doesn't show up, so I could address that later, but in the meantime I thought- well just to test this out, I'll start playing a video in XBMC in the primary display and then hotkey the window to the TV. After all, I could do it with videos in other applications. When XBMC gets moved over, however, the video continues playing but picture goes black. Also, surprisingly, when the window is moved back to the primary monitor, the video continues playing with the picture being black. Other features of XBMC show, and I can even fast forward/rewind etc, but with a black picture. So I tried this in Windowed mode (in XBMC settings) instead of fullscreen; same result. Very strange that XBMC would lose the picture but keep playing the file when hotkeyed to another monitor, and then still have no picture but continue playing when moved back. Also, when in windowed mode, when hotkeyed to TV, the window shows up (top and bottom of screen) but video picture is black. So I know the application window is moving correctly to the secondary monitor, but XBMC itself is malfunctioning somewhere, where other media player applications are fine.

This probably (hopefully) won't be an issue once I get a controller installed and will be controlling XBMC within the secondary monitor from the get go. I've been told Xbox 360 wired USB controllers work well since there's dependable windows drivers for them. Is this a bug, or is it an issue with my setup?

Thanks!
XBMC has a builtin option to set it to whatever monitor you want... Look under Settings, system I think.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Yep, set them up as monitor 1 & 2, then in System>Video Output select Fullscreen #2.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
That's a known bug, but it's low priority as it's not common usage of XBMC. And it doesn't help that it'll be a PITA to fix.
You shouldn't have a problem with DXVA turned off. Or move the window before starting playback.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Correct, I have been able to avoid the black screen issue via different display options. Glad to hear it's a known issue. Won't be an issue for me once I get a suitable controller.
Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC videos go *black* when moved to secondary monitor0