Linux apt-get upgraded to Eden on Ubuntu and now .. no X, and no XBMC
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out without this requiring a whole reinstall, which I seem to remember took quite a while the first time (getting things like LIRC to work)..

I have (had!) XBMC Dharma on a little Ubuntu box which I originally installed following one of the Wiki articles (the link for which appears to have moved, or I'd show you which one). Anyway it was a plain Ubuntu-minimal install (10.04.1 LTS) with xbmc-live on top, and it worked great.

Now, like a moron, I decided I'd update to Eden .. and to do so I'd just 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'

Et viola. No more XBMC for me.

It looks like the xbmc-live script is continually cycling because X is failing to start. I have no xbmc log so we're not even getting that far.. Xorg bails with:
Code:
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

Full log in case it's useful: http://pastebin.com/NHQcQffh

Any suggestions (other than "You're an idiot!") gratefully accepted.
try
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install xbmc-standalone
Unfortunately, that did nothing..

Code:
xbmc@zee:/var/log$ sudo apt-get -f install xbmc-standalone
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
xbmc-standalone is already the newest version.
xbmc-standalone set to manually installed.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libpolkit-dbus2 libmodplug0c2 libwavpack1 policykit libpolkit-grant2 libmad0 xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-data
  libmpeg2-4 libmms0 libpolkit2 libfaac0 libfaad2
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I've even tried apt-get purge'ing xbmc-live, xbmc-standalone and then autoremoving anything no longer needed, followed by reinstalling xbmc-live.. still the same.

I guess it's an 'X' problem not an 'XBMC' one, but I'm stumped.
I had a similar issue installing Eden beta 1 on Oneric minimal. I think the dependencies are a little goofed up. Maybe try
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install x11-utils
to see if it will sort out what part of x is missing.
No joy - actually I found that if I 'xinit xbmc-standalone' then it all starts up fine, so it's something in the xbmc-live scripts that is broken, I suspect..

In fact, I think I fell foul of the line in this link where it says in big bold letters never to do a 'dist-upgrade'.

Whoops.

I don't seem to be smart enough to figure out what script it is that's broken or not functioning properly, so for now I guess I'll just manually start XBMC via SSH ('nohup xinit xbmc-standalone &') and make sure I don't upgrade to Eden anywhere else!
Maybe this other thread can be of help. Nod one shouldn't use the dist-upgrade..
Update to Eden Rolleyes
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

(2012-04-02, 00:08)aaronjb Wrote: No joy - actually I found that if I 'xinit xbmc-standalone' then it all starts up fine, so it's something in the xbmc-live scripts that is broken, I suspect..

In fact, I think I fell foul of the line in this link where it says in big bold letters never to do a 'dist-upgrade'.

Whoops.

I don't seem to be smart enough to figure out what script it is that's broken or not functioning properly, so for now I guess I'll just manually start XBMC via SSH ('nohup xinit xbmc-standalone &') and make sure I don't upgrade to Eden anywhere else!

Ahh hell. That is the exact problem I ran into installing on Oneric minimal, and I can't remember what package fixed it. Maybe uxlaunch, but I'm not sure.
(2012-04-02, 03:19)wilson.joe Wrote: Maybe this other thread can be of help. Nod one shouldn't use the dist-upgrade..
Update to Eden Rolleyes

I linked to that in my post above yours Wink It helps in that it explains what I did wrong .. but it doesn't help in that it doesn't actually tell you how to fix the problem if you've already done a dist-upgrade Wink

(2012-04-02, 08:02)cowfodder Wrote: Ahh hell. That is the exact problem I ran into installing on Oneric minimal, and I can't remember what package fixed it. Maybe uxlaunch, but I'm not sure.

I'll try uxlaunch tonight and hack at it a little more. Theoretically it ought to be impossible to permanently break an install, after all..
Same thing happened here: I did not upgrade the Ubuntu version, so I still have Lucid, but after upgrading XBMC to version 11 (just performing an "apt-get upgrade"), X stopped working; if I log in and then execute "startx", XBMC works fine, so there is definitely something wrong in the script trying to start X on boot (is it xbmc-live? I still have to check it out).
I got it working again by reinstalling the Nvidia driver.
Ok, I just found out the problem: XBMC 11 is not compatible with Ubuntu 10.04, because uxlaunch does not exist in the latter.
Sorry for the third post in a row, but: looks like everything still works also under Lucid (if, for some reasons, you don't want to update Ubuntu), if you use the old /etc/init/xbmc-live.conf instead of the new one (which is the one using uxlaunch).
Ooh good news - I'll try that tonight. I was digging about for uxlaunch and pondering updating Ubuntu, but didn't have enough time (or patience!) to invest in doing that .. because I have this suspicion that a bunch of stuff will stop working when I do.

I probably should just update Ubuntu, though. But in the interim .. I'll give switching xbmc-live.conf about a bash.
Hm - of course .. I just installed a fresh 10.04 LTS box and installed XBMC and I get the new xbmc-live.conf. Don't suppose you could upload the old one to pastebin or similar could you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
apt-get upgraded to Eden on Ubuntu and now .. no X, and no XBMC0