Surround sound output
Hi all,

Does XBMC output surround sound via the iPad's HDMI adapter? I've tested an MKV file with a 5.1 AC3 sound track but my receiver is only registering it as 2 channel PCM. The receiver doesn't have a problem with other inputs (sat box, console, etc) so it must be either my HDMI adapter or XBMC. There aren't too many settings to play with -- I did set the output to 'HDMI' in the 'audio settings' menu.

I realize that most people probably don't use HDMI to output video since XBMC doesn't currently support native video output, but it looks like this feature will be added soon enough thanks to the promising work of memphiz.
Well with ios in the back you only get stereo output from hdmi afaik.

With my tvout patch you get static when passing through ac3/dts stuff. Didn't have time to dig into it yet. But i already know whats missing. On ATV2 thats the cause we have to set 16bit Audio in the IOS Settings. But this setting is not there on the ipad/iphone/ipod. So it will be hard to get passthrough working on ipad Sad. (we need exclusive hog mode and the api from apple doesn't allow this).

But i can say that your hdmi adapter is most likly ok ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Surround sound output0