Win Dharma to Eden - Upgrade steps
Hi,

I am using Dharma and have configured it the way I need it and scrapped a lot of content.

Whats the best / recommended way to upgrade to Eden?

Should I deinstall Dharma first?
Is it possible to have both versions installed anyway?
How to import my DB (with all the scrapped data), does this happen automatically?

Please just give me a quick manual how to get a smooth and perfect transition from Dharma to Eden.

Thanks a lot!
Assuming your not using mysql (you didn't mention it, so I presume not) then:

1. Install Eden.
2. Enjoy.

Eden will update your databases (via copy + upgrade, so you can downgrade again later if you really want to) and so on automatically. You shouldn't lose anything.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

No, no fancy stuff like mysql-db.

So I assume that v10 und v11 can both be installed and used on my system? (Until I verified that everything is okay for me)
Because I mentioned copy+upgrade I also assume that after installation, changes made to one of these programs / independent dbs will not be tracked by the other?

Thanks a lot for your quick assistance!

BR
Yes and no. If you run XBMC in -p mode then each can run independently of one another. If you run in the default mode, both use %appdata%/XBMC to store your DB and other settings. So Eden will upgrade your DB and such, and then it will not work in Dharma. You can backup the %appdata%/XBMC folder and install Eden. If you do have issues then rolll back to Dharma, and replace your %appdata%/XBMC folder with your backup.

If all you really care about is the library, the easier method is to go into settings\Video\Library and export your library. That will be your backup library if you need to roll back to Dharma.
Cool. I came here to ask the same thing.

Though... will my existing keyboard.xml and remote.xml files have the Eden functions added to them I've made quite a few changes to them, and have read that there are new functions therein .
If you have custom files, I believe you will have to update them by hand.
The advice about Eden updating your database is incorrect.

Eden takes a copy of your Dharma database and updates the copy. It does not touch your Dharma database at all.

That's not to say that other things in userdata may be upgraded to the point where Dharma won't run though (things like add-ons and the like).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That's true. I did forget it does a DB copy before updating it. After using nightlies for so long I just got into that habit. Running 2 different versions of XBMC from the same user data folder just isn't a good idea.
Good to hear (uh.. read). I shoudl have known you XBMC magicians would make it easy...
Okay, I made an update without backup of my dharma installation.
Yesterday I watched a movie and noticed some stuttering in the framerate from time to time. I think it's because the movie was 23,976fps and pressing "O" on my keyboard showed me that playback runs with 24fps. I haven't had that problems with dharma. Is there something in the settings changed with Eden or how can I get the "old behaviour" back?

So that eden upgraded a copy of my databse, I am able to just reinstall dharma?
Exactly the information I was looking for.

So summing it all up, what I understand is the following assuming that I need an easy and effortless way to revert back to Dharma in case the 'Eden' comes up with any unwanted surprises.

1. Back up (copy the userdata folder) and also take an export of the video library on another drive.

2. Install Eden over the already installed Dharma but Is it recommended to have two copies of XBMC running in parallel (as this is what I assume reading the thread, that Dharma and Eden can co-exist peacefully). Does it give any benefits or..

3. Uninstall Dharma and install Eden on a fresh clean system and then import the library exported earlier from Dharma. This will update/upgrade the library in due course during the import i suppose. Would also be a clean way to test eden functionality without any doubt of any conflicting settings from Dharma.

Any guidance or further addition to a safe upgrade passage would be appreciated. Also would be any recommendation to know that is it really worth upgrading to Eden for a normal viewer like myself, who has all the media (mostly 720p MKV files) stored on a NAS drive with an updated library, and I only mainly use it for regular joe's media streaming (not for any of the latest cutting edge audio/video standards/products).

Thanks.

1. Your backup of the userdata folder contains your database files. No need for an export, unless you are super cautious.
2. It is not recommend running both Dharma and Eden in parallel, unless you are running both in portable mode. Otherwise some of the files in your userdata folder may not work with each version.
3. Installing Eden on a clean machine will mean you have no libraries as of yet. So importing your library from an earlier export will create that for you.

Whether you upgrade or not is really a personal choice. Even though I may be a team member, I consider myself an average Joe user and I would not have hesitated to upgrade to Eden.
(2012-05-09, 21:38)kricker Wrote: So importing your library from an earlier export will create that for you.

I assume by this we are on the same point that the earlier export would be from an earlier version of XBMC (Dharma), and it is able to imported giltchless in the newer version so aptly called Eden.

Thanks.
Yes, it should be able to import just fine. You may need to refresh the movies in the database to fill in content that was not available in an earlier version of the database. Such as "sets" which is now supported out of the box in Eden, but was not in Dharma. I'm not sure what the best process for that would be.
(2012-05-10, 18:47)kricker Wrote: Yes, it should be able to import just fine. You may need to refresh the movies in the database to fill in content that was not available in an earlier version of the database. Such as "sets" which is now supported out of the box in Eden, but was not in Dharma. I'm not sure what the best process for that would be.

Before actually hitting the button just wanted to know the last few queries ;

I am planning to export the database from Dharma, to either single or separate files, and then uninstall Dharma completely. Then do a clean installation on Eden. Please guide for the following

1. If I export from Dharma v.10 to a single file, then would it also export the Movie Poster/Thumb and Fanart in that single file too. If not, then if this single file is imported in Eden v.11 then how would the movie thumb and fanart would be updated.

2. If I export from Dharma v.10 to a separate files, then supposedly it exports the movie thumb and fanart file to the movie folder. How can this separate export to multiple folders, be imported in Eden v.11 and would it read movie thumb and fanart from the folder (not to be scraped again from internet).

3. In case of following method 1 or 2, does it also keep the track or flag of watched movies intact, to be correctly imported in Eden

4. Do I have to keep the movie sources as the same in the Eden installation as they were in the Dharma installation. For example on my setup on Windows 7 -32 bit, there are two SAMBA network shares from a NAS mapped as local network drives with drive letters W and X. What I assume is that this relative or absolute path X or W :\Movies\English\Movie Name\Movie File.xxx is also exported in the database. These two shares are then added to a single XBMC source called "Movies Collection" which is used to scrape and locate movies.

So if after installing Eden, i change the mapped drive letters or reassign new letters, then would the whole database be inconsistent ? Is there any way to fix it or it should be avoided pricipally to keep the database import intact.

Any other precautions of migrating the database from v10 to v11, please mention.

Thanks a lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma to Eden - Upgrade steps 0