E-mail notification popup script
Sad 
i have been looking for a script that would check a pop server for new e-mails and when one is detected there would be a little popup notification in the corner (similar to aim's buddy notification messages). i'd like it to be able to popup while on any screen including visualizations and movies. it doesn't need to have any contents of the email listed (subject/sender/etc.) just that there is/are e-mail(s).

i've seen one e-mail script but it was too tied into the ui. i just want something that is almost completely in the background.

does something like this already exist? if not, is it possible?

thanks.
this would be great.

sure it is possible but i don't know how to script it Sad
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
well, i've taken a look at the caller id script. it seems to do exactly what i want except i want to be notified of new emails. i tried to see if i could mix the email grabbing features of the email script with the display features of the caller id script. this is way over my head having never used python (or any scripting language for that matter).

i think i've figured out the display aspects (how to display subject/sender/etc.), but i cannot figure out how to use the mail script (or other python code) to detect any new email (every 5 minutes or so) and if there is email, pass that information to the display code to get the subject/sender displayed in a method very similar to the caller id script.

any experienced python scripters have any suggestions on where i should get started?

thanks.

note to mods: now that this has become a development question, feel free to move this to the python development forum.
be nice if http could be detected to for hotmail...
you need to use a thread to check the mail. first you locate the function that actually checks the mail. this function you have to execute from the thread you made every five minutes.

read up on how to create threads and check other scripts that use them. to only check every 5 mins you can use the time module's function time.sleep(300) where 300 is in seconds. this will halt the code for 5 mins. you would need to loop this, but still end the loop when you exit the script. there are plentyful of examples of how you can do this (the norwegian tv browser on xbmcscripts use it for instance...and plenty of others).

i'm not that good at explaining, but hopefully you understood some of this. good luck, nice to see that you're trying yourself Smile

as for every supporting hotmail, i see that as highly unlikely unless they start a pop3 mail service. hotmail is crap anyways though in my opinion.
xbmcscripts.com administrator
enderw, thanks for your response.

however, after looking at the code for a couple hours yesterday, i've decided that this is way over my head. i figured out how to contact the pop3 server and connect to it. but, i don't know how to check if new mail has arrived since the last time this client (and only this client) checked. if i somehow figured this out, and i got a specific e-mail, i think i could figure out how to pass the relevant info (sender/subject) to the display code.

but, because of the problems i am having with the pop3 server commands, i don't think i can figure this out.

if any python coders like the idea of the notification and feel like helping, i would appreciate it. but until then, i'll turn up the volume to my speakers on my computer and let thunderbird's audio notification alert me to new e-mails.

thanks,

jeff
here's a good link http://webmaster.indiana.edu/tool_gu....ts.html

maybe you could use stat() and keep a running total. you could even save that to a file incase you reboot.

i will take a look at this or offer what little help i can if you want to do it.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
please look into it.

note: i'm not saying write it for me. i just want to know if there is anything specific that you can offer that would make this possible. there are so many different things that i don't know how to do with python and probably will never be able to figure out because of my extremely limited programming and absolutely no scripting language experience.

thanks,

jeff
here is a link to dl "email notifier"
http://xbmc-scripts.gueux.be/modules....7&lid=4
(this is my french website, you need to subscribe to get the script. use your favorite translation tool to know what to do... )

this script check your pop mail account and display how many email you've got waiting on your pop mail server and what is the size. modifying it to display a popup should not be very hard. just mix it with caller id script and you'll get what you need.
maybe i can have a quick look at it if you really want me to do it.
if you could take a look, i really would appreciate it.

thanks,

jeff
any luck looking into it?

thanks,

jeff
got bored with the scriptbrowser so i decided i'd look into it. was rather easy, just have left to implement the dialog. expect it here in an hour (if everything goes as planned, which it usually doesn't).
ok, things only halfway went as planned. this is a functional script, but it's far from complete. first, i only have a faint idea how to make it run in background and i have no time to research that now. that means that i'd love if someone else would look at it.  also it crashes badly if terminated due to lousy thread implemtation(?). sorta useless until it is made to run in background, but i don't think that's a major job.

that said, it works...if there's new mail it will display the number (of total) and it check the mail every minute. if there's more mail on the server than last time it checked, it will pop up a notification. on first check it assumes 0 is the amount of mail on server, so if you always have some mail on server it will always notify you on first check. the layout could of course be improved and i couldn't be bothered to make slide-ins etc...this took far more time than expected as it is.

popmail

please post improved versions in this thread...
thanks for looking into it!

hope someone else can take some time to build on this script.

thanks again,

jeff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
E-mail notification popup script0