Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes
(2012-04-13, 20:33)calev Wrote: You could get the same result by installing samba shares on the apple tv.

Not quite the same - its a bit of a different experience using xbmc to select a bunch of files or folders to copy over to the internal drive (yes, copy - thats one of the things I WANT to do, not just play over the network) compared to using an ftp client on your computer.

With xbmc youve got your remote control and a limited interface, with an ftp client you can use a mouse together with other commands (not to mention file replace options and file resume etc etc).

I can only "select all" using xbmc ?? how do you select and deselect individual files/folders ?
Hi Millum... I believe that he was saying to install SMB shares on the ATV Hard drive so that you could browse out to them from another computer. This way the ATV would look just like a windows share out on the network.
(2012-04-13, 21:43)Ozymandyaz Wrote: Hi Millum... I believe that he was saying to install SMB shares on the ATV Hard drive so that you could browse out to them from another computer. This way the ATV would look just like a windows share out on the network.

Oh ? really ?

I thought he meant setting up SMB shares of folders that reside across the network.

So how does one go about installing SMB shares ?

If this means I will be able to use Finder to manage my files then great (although I had that functionality before and still preferred an ftp client for a few reasons). Still it would be a nice step forward from where I am now ...
Assuming you know your way around a terminal, follow a guide like this one You could just go ask sam to put smb shares in the next update. Openelec has it installed by default.
Sleeping the display has been apart of Crystalbuntu for a while now. Go to:

Settings/System/Power saving (wiki) -> Put display to sleep when idle

This is pretty much identical to what the native OS did.

You can copy whole folders over the network using Cyberduck (wiki). You should be able to install Samba (wiki), FTP (wiki), NFS (wiki), and other file sharing protocols on Crystalbuntu (wiki), giving you more options to copy files over. I'd check over on the Crystalbuntu forums for help with that, or just look up instructions for how do install a given option for "Ubuntu Hardy" which is what Crystalbuntu is built upon.

Have you turned AirPlay (wiki) on in settings? I hear that sometimes there are issues if you have IPv6 enabled on your computer that you are trying to AirPlay from, and disabling it should fix those issues.

XBMC v11 is the last version that will run on the native ATV OS, so Linux-based OS is the only option for using XBMC v12 and higher on an Apple TV 1 (wiki).
(2012-04-16, 08:46)Ned Scott Wrote: Have you turned AirPlay (wiki) on in settings? I hear that sometimes there are issues if you have IPv6 enabled on your computer that you are trying to AirPlay from, and disabling it should fix

I had issues with AirPlay from my Mac and had to switch off IPv6 on the iMac to get any music to stream as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crystalbuntu USB drive access,folder creation,standby,airtunes0