XBMC 12 (Frodo) - So What's The Plan?
From Red_F (FTR plugin) "right now I'm working at getting true timeshift working (meaning you could pause Live-TV, re-wind, fast-forward)."
(2012-05-10, 11:48)KRA77 Wrote: From Red_F (FTR plugin) "right now I'm working at getting true timeshift working (meaning you could pause Live-TV, re-wind, fast-forward)."

Pretty sure Fred is also waiting on the impending refactoring. Da-anda is right, it would be foolish to get too deep in to some of these requests (such as timeshifting, which is pretty major) knowing that the PVR code is being refactored.

I'm looking forward to timeshifting too, believe me. I already gave up MePo and just put up with the lack of it, and help test/debug where I can.
But again, the question is, how much of the timeshifting is really handled by XBMC? The backend is what implements the live buffer. It dumps a transport stream to disk and allows seek functions on it as if it were a normal video file. All XBMC really needs to do is send the commands Pause/FF/Rew to the backend. Last night, I updated to the latest version of TVHeadend. I was in the web interface and I hit "Play" by one of the channels. It opened the video stream in VLC. I paused it.... waited. Hit play, it played.... I hit rewind, it rewound. I'm just curious as to what XBMC needs to do that is so much different.

I'm seriously not trying to sound like a troll here. I stress that I'm sure there's something I'm missing, I would just like to know what it is.
(2012-05-11, 05:35)nobleach Wrote: But again, the question is, how much of the timeshifting is really handled by XBMC? The backend is what implements the live buffer. It dumps a transport stream to disk and allows seek functions on it as if it were a normal video file. All XBMC really needs to do is send the commands Pause/FF/Rew to the backend. Last night, I updated to the latest version of TVHeadend. I was in the web interface and I hit "Play" by one of the channels. It opened the video stream in VLC. I paused it.... waited. Hit play, it played.... I hit rewind, it rewound. I'm just curious as to what XBMC needs to do that is so much different.

I'm seriously not trying to sound like a troll here. I stress that I'm sure there's something I'm missing, I would just like to know what it is.
I needs something that doesn't just work in tvheadend and works on about 5 different back ends across 3 different OS's
Well, Marcel and Fred develops the Mepo/FTR plugin, Marcel sits on previous timeshifting code that was removed from source. Both Mepo and FTR(argus) does timeshifting on the backend side, so it's not like they have to implement timeshifting in xbmc, just the option to pause and seek forward/back in the available TS. I think this is good news for Mepo/FTR users, but might not help users of such backends that doesn't have timeshifting ? Those needs full timeshifting on xbmc frontend and I don't think that is what they are working on, and as I've said I really don't think xbmc-dev should "waste time" on that, it's a backend job.

So you might say, they are not working on timeshifting pr say, they are just working on implementing seeking, wich ultimatly will give timeshifting on those backends. But still what I believe they are doing, we'd only know if they responded themself.
Its is exactly as KRA77 said. My PVR addon already implements the Pause and Seek code for recordings and Live TV. It is just that XBMC should forward them to the addon including the Pause call. Most of the required functionality for backends which have timeshift support is already there. So, for MythTV, MediaPortal and 4TheRecord it is not really a waste of time.
Unfortunately, I saw that Dushmaniac actually is removing the PVR addon property to indicate that the addon will take care of the the timeshifting, so the new refactoring action might actually break things again pretty soon...
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
(2012-05-11, 05:35)nobleach Wrote: Last night, I updated to the latest version of TVHeadend. I was in the web interface and I hit "Play" by one of the channels. It opened the video stream in VLC. I paused it.... waited. Hit play, it played.... I hit rewind, it rewound. I'm just curious as to what XBMC needs to do that is so much different
VLC is buffering the stream - that's why you can seek in it, but AFAIK tvheadend doesn't have backend-side timeshift.
(2012-05-11, 06:46)Jezz_X Wrote: I needs something that doesn't just work in tvheadend and works on about 5 different back ends across 3 different OS's

That's what the addons do.... they take the generic Play/Pause/Stop/FF/Rew methods and link up to a plugin which translates that API call into something Myth specific, or TVHeadend specific.... or VDR....

Basic rules of encapsultation apply here. XBMC does not need to be aware of the implementation, just that an object has an API with a method called "pause".

(2012-05-11, 13:13)da-anda Wrote: VLC is buffering the stream - that's why you can seek in it, but AFAIK tvheadend doesn't have backend-side timeshift.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you,

-nobleach

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12 (Frodo) - So What's The Plan?0