Win Update Eden Windows and Mac OS X Lion Samba Share
First of all, let me explain my XBMC setup. I have an external HD which is connected to my Macbook Pro from where I stream media to my Windows 7 PC with XBMC installed. This worked well until I installed Lion on my Macbook Pro in which Apple removed the possibility of SMB shares. Luckily I could still stream media from my internal hard drive to my Windows 7 PC. But now I installed Eden on my Windows 7 PC and suddenly I am not able to stream media from my Macbook (internal HD) to my PC. When I click on my media files from the macbook XBMC says 'Could not connect to network share'. Is there anyone here who has the same problem and has a solution for this?

I already installed and tried SMBup but that didn't work either.
Odd, I still see the option in OSX Lion to enable SMB sharing. I'm not using it, so maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by "Apple removed the possibility of SMB shares." On my laptop I did this to get to the SMB sharing options:

1- open system preferences
2- click on sharing
3- select file sharing
4- click on the directory I want to share
5- click options
6- click the checkbox for "share files and folders via SMB (Windows)"
7- select which user accounts will have access via SMB and enter their passwords when prompted
(2012-04-06, 20:08)pkscuot Wrote: Odd, I still see the option in OSX Lion to enable SMB sharing. I'm not using it, so maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by "Apple removed the possibility of SMB shares." On my laptop I did this to get to the SMB sharing options:

1- open system preferences
2- click on sharing
3- select file sharing
4- click on the directory I want to share
5- click options
6- click the checkbox for "share files and folders via SMB (Windows)"
7- select which user accounts will have access via SMB and enter their passwords when prompted

Of course i did this. But the SMB share is simple not working. From my windows pc I cannot access the shared files from my macbook pro. Which I could before I installed Eden. Now I removed Eden but that doesn't work either.
(2012-04-06, 20:23)dutch_20 Wrote: Of course i did this. But the SMB share is simple not working. From my windows pc I cannot access the shared files from my macbook pro. Which I could before I installed Eden. Now I removed Eden but that doesn't work either.

There's something else going on that isn't related to XBMC then. I just enabled SMB on my laptop and then went over to my Windows machine (where XBMC is) and connected to my Mac laptop just fine (both in Windows Explorer and XBMC). Sorry I can't be more help.
(2012-04-06, 22:21)pkscuot Wrote:
(2012-04-06, 20:23)dutch_20 Wrote: Of course i did this. But the SMB share is simple not working. From my windows pc I cannot access the shared files from my macbook pro. Which I could before I installed Eden. Now I removed Eden but that doesn't work either.

There's something else going on that isn't related to XBMC then. I just enabled SMB on my laptop and then went over to my Windows machine (where XBMC is) and connected to my Mac laptop just fine (both in Windows Explorer and XBMC). Sorry I can't be more help.
What OS is running on your Macbook? Lion or Snow Leopard. Because with Snow Leopard I had no problems. I couldn't connect to my external HD (from my Windows PC) after I installed Lion. But I could approach my internal HD from within XBMC (pre-Eden). Yesterday I installed Eden and my whole connection with my macbook was gone.

(2012-04-07, 11:52)dutch_20 Wrote: What OS is running on your Macbook? Lion or Snow Leopard. Because with Snow Leopard I had no problems. I couldn't connect to my external HD (from my Windows PC) after I installed Lion. But I could approach my internal HD from within XBMC (pre-Eden). Yesterday I installed Eden and my whole connection with my macbook was gone.

Lion. The only potential difference I see on the surface between your setup and mine is that this laptop never had anything but Lion on it.
The issue is that XBMC uses its own SMB (wiki) client on Mac OS X, Linux, and iOS, which only supports SMB 1.0. Apple upgraded their SMB server to SMB 2.0, with no 1.0 fallback, in Mac OS X 10.7. Mac OS can access SMB shares from Windows machines just fine, and vise-versa, but XBMC will have issues.

Strange that SMBUp (wiki) didn't work, as that should install a replacement server in 10.7 that has the 1.0-compatabible server.

There are still alternatives! One is to use web sharing and add sources as an HTTP (wiki) directory source. Another is to use WebDAV (wiki) via MediaMaster server (wiki). You can also get NFS (wiki) up and running with a little bit of work, and it is a very excellent file sharing protocol that XBMC can use. I believe there are also a number of FTP (wiki) servers that are easy to set up for Mac OS X.

You can also mount the SMB share in the OS of the computer you are watching XBMC on, then in XBMC point to the local drive mount. XBMC will think it is a local drive, and the OS will handle the file sharing protocol. I forget the exact details on how to do this in Windows, but IIRC, it was pretty simple.
IF you go WEBDAV, please be aware that WebDAV does not work with BD or DVD folders.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update Eden Windows and Mac OS X Lion Samba Share0