XBMC + Harmony Remote
Recently jumped on the Logitech Harmony remote bandwagon in an attempt to minimize the number of remotes I have.

My XBMC box (OpenELEC) has been using a Philips MCE remote for the last couple of years, so I programmed the Harmony to work as a MCE remote, no problems there. Unfortunatley the Harmony is really laggy especially with the direction keys and often i end up with too many button presses. I've looked around the Logitech software and cant find any way to improve the responsiveness of the remote.

Are there any other Harmony users out there with a similar problem? How did you fix it?

Cheers
Can i ask what sensor your using, I want to use my harmoney remote too but have no IR sensor on my PC, i bought a cheapie of ebay and it didnt work Sad

thanks in advance
I have to check which model number when I get home but I use an HP receiver and the response is fantastic with my harmony and ubuntuxbmc
I'm using a Philips SRM5100 which is a MCE remote, ive seen a number of these recently sold as Dell remotes also.
(2012-04-08, 18:02)Uuaww Wrote: I have to check which model number when I get home but I use an HP receiver and the response is fantastic with my harmony and ubuntuxbmc

do you think this would be plug and play
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-MCE-KIT-RE...5164wt_905

(2012-04-09, 14:00)buzurk Wrote:
(2012-04-08, 18:02)Uuaww Wrote: I have to check which model number when I get home but I use an HP receiver and the response is fantastic with my harmony and ubuntuxbmc

do you think this would be plug and play
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-MCE-KIT-RE...5164wt_905

I friend of mine is using that one w harmony and it works great for him. Just set up the remote as MCE keyboard and a little binding and bobs your uncle
(2012-04-08, 00:34)PANiCnz Wrote: Recently jumped on the Logitech Harmony remote bandwagon in an attempt to minimize the number of remotes I have.

My XBMC box (OpenELEC) has been using a Philips MCE remote for the last couple of years, so I programmed the Harmony to work as a MCE remote, no problems there. Unfortunatley the Harmony is really laggy especially with the direction keys and often i end up with too many button presses. I've looked around the Logitech software and cant find any way to improve the responsiveness of the remote.

Are there any other Harmony users out there with a similar problem? How did you fix it?

Cheers

Hi,

I am using a Harmony remote and had some difficulty getting it to respond properly with Ubuntu. After a little bit of searching I found the big fat reason why... I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and with this version a kernel is shipped that has MCE support embedded. Unfortunately it's support isn't quite what I expected cause I experienced the same problems as you. Besided that some of the keypresses are differently reported in this new kernel. KEY_OK and KEY_ENTER have been swapped and repetition of keystrokes is way to high. What I ended up doing was NOT blacklist the MCE kernel module because that created a lot of problems regarding remapping the keys. What I did was have LIRC and the kernel talk to each other and work together. I then also changed the lircmap.xml to link the new responses to XBMC. If you give me a couple of hours (I am at work now and can't really properly look for the articles I followed) I will post the links to the articles here. It mainly involved in installing LIRC next to the kernel module. More on this later.
Should have looked in my e-mail where I parked the URL: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104541
This quite extensive forum post describes how to get XBMC and any MCE remote (therefore also your Harmony when you set it to Windows Media Center) to work properly. I choose for option 3. in chapter 2. Remote

The biggest reason for doing this was that I hate to modify and add all kinds of scripts to my system cause in about a month or so I will have forgotten that I put them there. If a system update is done and it asks me to overwrite a file I will most likely say yes and I will have lost my manual changes. I am a big fan of trying to do it the proper way in that it will stick even if you update or upgrade Smile Plus, I found the use of ir-keytables a big pain in the ....

If you get through this, get the remote to work like you want (so no repetitions and smooth reaction) but the OK/ENTER button doesn't seem to work, I could post my Lircmap.xml for you if you wish. I saw on Git that they are planning to change Lircmap.xml to resemble the change in key responses so with Eden it might not even be necessary to change the Lircmap.xml Try it and find out I would say.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC + Harmony Remote0