Win Running XBMC keeps Windows from shutting off monitors
I am running Sickbeard and SABnzbd on my desktop computer which means it stays on 24/7. I love the feature in Sickbeard where it automatically updates XBMC's library after an episode is downloaded. Being that the desktop computer is already on 24/7 and the XBMC boxes around the house are in S3 suspend when not being used, it seemed to make sense to keep an instance of XBMC running on my desktop just so Sickbeard can update my library.

The problem is that it seems that when XBMC is running, Windows 7's power management won't shut off my dual monitors after the amount of time I have specified. If I close XBMC, Windows 7 shuts them off after the specified time. I tried this 3 times both ways and the results were always the same. Has anyone else noticed this and/or does anyone have some advice how to work around this?

Yes, I know I can manually power them off, but I'd rather it be automatic because I am not the only one who uses the computer and the others don't always remember to turn them off.
Run in a fullscreen window (or windowed) and keep it in the background?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I've tried running it in a minimized window and completely minimized to the taskbar and neither solved the problem. A maximized window wouldn't behave any differently would it? (At work right now. Can't test)

I've read about people complaining that windows will shut off the monitor while they are watching a video because it doesn't detect that as activity. What is it about XBMC that keeps the monitor(s) from shutting off?
It dawned on me that I could do some testing if I installed XBMC on my laptop here at work. So I did that and I can verify from my testing that Windows power management will not shut off the monitor if XBMC is running. No matter if it's fullscreen, minimized fullscreen, minimized, or minimized to taskbar. What's odd though, is that Windows will suspend after a period of inactivity with XBMC running. What's the difference?
XBMC has its own setting for putting the display to sleep when idle. Have you looked at that?
I completely forgot it had one to shut off the display. You use something for so long you think you know everything about it and you end up being wrong. Undecided Thanks for the heads-up.

Anyway, I tried it and it works, but only if you are running XBMC in fullscreen. That sucks for my needs as I don't even really want an XBMC window open on my desktop let alone have it running fullscreen. I found that fullscreen was a requirement by the following line in my log:

Code:
20:24:06 T:2412   DEBUG: DPMS: not in fullscreen, power saving disabled

Does anyone know a potential workaround for this?
A patch?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I can't even write a script let alone a patch.
Why does XBMC need to be in fullscreen for it's monitor shut off to work and even so, why does XBMC keep Windows' power management from working when it isn't in fullscreen?
Would you want XBMC running in a window to go idle and shutdown your PC or turn off the monitors while you are doing something else in another window?

Preventing windows power management when it isn't fullscreen surely doesn't sound right though. I know you said you tested it, but I will try to replicate this as well.
(2012-04-10, 16:51)kricker Wrote: Would you want XBMC running in a window to go idle and shutdown your PC or turn off the monitors while you are doing something else in another window?

I can understand that.

Quote:Preventing windows power management when it isn't fullscreen surely doesn't sound right though. I know you said you tested it, but I will try to replicate this as well.

Thanks. Just remember, XBMC doesn't seem to affect Windows power management as far as putting the machine to sleep, it just affects it allowing the monitor to shut off.

With XBMC running in window mode I did a standby check and XBMC is blocking the display from entering sleep mode.

Code:
System Availability Requests:Display Required Request
The program has made a request to prevent the display from automatically entering a low-power mode.
Requesting Process    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\HTPC\Xbmc\XBMC.exe

I'm not sure if this is a feature or bug.

Can anyone in the know explain if this is a feature or a bug?
Bump.
File it as a bug report. the developers will then see it and decide.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC keeps Windows from shutting off monitors0