• 20(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-05-26, 22:05)OkvOkv Wrote:
(2012-05-25, 22:57)tseller Wrote: ...

But... When i try to play a m2ts-File with TrueHD or DTS-HD audio, i only get noise on all speakers. The AVR shows that he is playing 7.1 PCM. Normal DTS files are working fine, AC3 too. If i disable DTS-HD support, the core DTS stream plays also fine.

Yes, this is exactly the same problem I have.
I notice you also have the Intel i3.

I suspect it is caused by the Intel alsa-driver.
It is not the hardware, as everything works on Win7.

I have installed a set-up to do full debug and development on the xbmc source, for the purpose of solving this issue, but I have not got started on this yet, I will also use very long time because I do not know the xbmc source.
In the meantime, hopefully somebody will fix it or find a workaround.

Same problem here (ASRock H67M-ITX/HT + Intel Core i3-2120).
Everything works great except DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

Has anybody manged to get hd bitstream with an i3? Does the Intel linux driver even support hd bitstreaming?
(2012-06-02, 04:03)DDDamian Wrote: @drivesoslow - yes, that pull request is aimed at some of the issues you're having. I expect it to be merged before June 10th. It's just waiting for review and the thumbs-up.

Awesome. I'll stick with enabling pulse audio until then. I will update my progress after I see the merge. Thanks for the ETA.
Hmmm can't seem to get mythbox to do audio with an ATSC source (5.1 DD Sound). Works in Eden. Log here: http://pastebin.com/vbpQ8LZE
I built last evening from odenkamps fork. I am just wondering if I should get rid of my sound.conf file in modprobe.d now or keep it or does it matter and should I remove my userdata and rebuild from scratch to avoid any issues. I am not really seeing any other than audio dropouts here and ther with DTS-HD and Library thumbs are taking forever to populate not an ae issue.

Thanks,

D.
I'm not sure where to post this, but I just compiled the git version of XBMC and when I run it I immediately get a segmentation fault.

Can somebody take a look?

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1020572/

One error in the log I see is:
Code:
ERROR: CAESinkOSS::EnumerateDevicesEx - Failed to open mixer: /dev/mixer

...but I don't think Ubuntu 12.04 has the legacy /dev/mixer device?
If you are compiling and run into the following errors:

Code:
AirTunesServer.cpp:670 error: ‘struct AudioOutput’ has no member named ‘ao_set_metadata’
AirTunesServer.cpp:671 error: ‘struct AudioOutput’ has no member named ‘ao_set_metadata_coverart’

solution from xbmc git pull request comments

Hope it saves somebody some time. I apologize if it is not appropriate for this thread.
(2012-06-03, 10:03)jcooper138 Wrote: If you are compiling and run into the following errors:

Code:
AirTunesServer.cpp:670 error: ‘struct AudioOutput’ has no member named ‘ao_set_metadata’
AirTunesServer.cpp:671 error: ‘struct AudioOutput’ has no member named ‘ao_set_metadata_coverart’

solution from xbmc git pull request comments

Hope it saves somebody some time. I apologize if it is not appropriate for this thread.

Compiled on May 31st no problems. Was compiling today as I updated hardware and had this error. Thanks for the tip! Just to make it easier.

go into lib/libshairport
make
make install
Works great. Thank you!
Does anyone know whether either my Acer Revo R3600 or my Emachines ER1402 will be able to bitstream HD Audio to my Denon AVR2310?
(2012-06-03, 03:10)SofaKng Wrote: I'm not sure where to post this, but I just compiled the git version of XBMC and when I run it I immediately get a segmentation fault.

Can somebody take a look?

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1020572/

One error in the log I see is:
Code:
ERROR: CAESinkOSS::EnumerateDevicesEx - Failed to open mixer: /dev/mixer

...but I don't think Ubuntu 12.04 has the legacy /dev/mixer device?

It is not the /dev/mixer error causing the segfault. Have you updated to the latest git code?

(2012-06-03, 22:54)Tyler Durden Wrote: Does anyone know whether either my Acer Revo R3600 or my Emachines ER1402 will be able to bitstream HD Audio to my Denon AVR2310?

Next time please post your actual hardware (ie your Acer is an Ion board w/ GeForce 9400 and your Emachines is a GeForce 9200). Neither one of those cards supports HD audio output to my knowledge. You really need to have at a minimum a GeForce 2xx series card.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1075076

HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
Just wondering... is AE useable on a ATI graphics already?

I've a DTS-HD capable ATI (AMD) card. Doing audio and video over HDMI.

I really want DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

Can I just update from a PPA to get a XBMC with AE that can passtrough DTS-HD?
And if so, what PPA do you recommand?
ATI compatibility is covered specifically not only on the first post of this thread but with several other micro discussions within the thread.

(2012-04-09, 14:53)wingrunr21 Wrote: Other Random Notes
  • Due to the way the fglrx drivers are implemented in Linux, ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD). This is because their audio system cannot handle more than 2 channels. At the current time, the radeon open-source driver only supports 2 channel HDMI audio when running Linux kernel >= 3.3. (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...HDMI-Audio)
(2012-06-04, 20:18)wingrunr21 Wrote: ATI compatibility is covered specifically not only on the first post of this thread but with several other micro discussions within the thread.

(2012-04-09, 14:53)wingrunr21 Wrote: Other Random Notes
  • Due to the way the fglrx drivers are implemented in Linux, ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD). This is because their audio system cannot handle more than 2 channels. At the current time, the radeon open-source driver only supports 2 channel HDMI audio when running Linux kernel >= 3.3. (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...HDMI-Audio)

I've read that.
But... it says it can't handle more than 2 channels now.... How is it possible that i'va DTS and other 5.1 audio right now?
and... i don't want to have any thing to do with channels.. i want pass-trough (bit perfect 1:1 streaming)

That is why I asked anyway.

Or is the 2 channel limitation only for HD streams? and not for normal 5.1 streams?

Can this be worked arround by using my s/pdif connection on the motherboard (optical or coax)? (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)
I would suggest reading up on HD vs non HD audio codecs and the limitations involved in transmitting them. Basically the ATI cards HDMI connection emulate an SPDIF/Coax connection. This means they are limited to about 48 kHz for the stereo audio sampling rate and 2 channels of uncompressed audio. You need at least 96 kHz or 6 channels to get HD audio out of the card. This limitation is in software since the Windows drivers can handle HD audio codecs with no problem.

SPDIF/Coax connections do not support HD audio ANYWHERE (this is not an ATI/XBMC limitation. These connections were never designed to handle the bitrate HD audio codecs require).
SPDIF/Coax supports up to 24-bit/192 kHz although only stereo but that seems to me high definition audio...
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4