• 2(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-04-13, 16:49)noumenon Wrote: Anybody know which NVIDIA cards support AE? What is the cutoff?

nVidia has excellent documentation on HDMI audio for their cards: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hd...io_support

I would not go lower than a GeForce 2xx series card. I know that the 210 and 220 are advertised as being able to stream HD audio. I have a GTX 440 that does the job well.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
I'm taking this off Gnif's main thread, as I'm unsure what is going on and don't want to clutter his main thread.

(2012-04-12, 23:14)cdhesse Wrote:
(2012-04-12, 18:42)gnif Wrote: @cdhesse - Sure, I am interested if it was working as you say, please provide full logs for both Eden and AE builds via pastebin.com

Hi Gnif...

Here is the fresh XBMCBuntu/Eden log where passthrough works: (DTS)
http://pastebin.com/LnLQ30TZ
Interestingly - it says that it fails and reverts to "default"?

Here is the AE log where it doesn't:
http://pastebin.com/JxyTQizz

In the AE log I also played a 5.1 FLAC just to show it working in non-passthrough mode...

I'm thinking - do I have an abnormal setup vs. the rest of the testers? I've never been able to get passthrough to work with audio engine, dating back many months now.

Motherboard: Gigabyte H55M-USB3
Processor: Intel i3 550 (first gen i3)
Vidieo Card/HDMI Hookup: NVidia GT 430 (EVGA)

I would think this is pretty normal hardware wise. I've only used Linux/Ubuntu... 10.04, 11.10, and now XBMCBuntu... none working.

Passthrough works fine in EDEN, but as soon as I compile and run AE it fails. Also interesting to report, I always have to specify custom.

In EDEN:
normal sound - CUSTOM "hw:0,9"
passthrough - CUSTOM "hw:0,9"

in AE -
normal sound - CUSTOM "hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9" - NOTHING else works, including hw:0,9 which works in EDEN
and of course, nothing works for passthrough, which is my problem.

Anybody else have this problem, or this hardware? I've tried everything...
tried CUSTOM "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9" ? case might be important here
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Probably not DEV=9 with HDMI, probably DEV=0 (or 1 or 3)
(2012-04-14, 01:07)cdhesse Wrote: In EDEN:
normal sound - CUSTOM "hw:0,9"
passthrough - CUSTOM "hw:0,9"

in AE -
normal sound - CUSTOM "hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9" - NOTHING else works, including hw:0,9 which works in EDEN
and of course, nothing works for passthrough, which is my problem.

Anybody else have this problem, or this hardware? I've tried everything...

Try in both custom devices:

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1

That's what works on my GTX440. Make sure you input it exactly like that.
Thanks!

the ONLY thing that worked for TrueHD is hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3...

Is it normal that hw:0,9 would have worked fine in EDEN (and all previous versions I've used for years) and now this comes up?
I have a Geforce GT520 card that's work with AE.
Both Output Audio Device and Output Audio are set to hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3. The same as used by cdhesse.
With the AE build from 14/4 on a Ubutu 12.04 beta release I am able to play videos these audio streams:
DTS
DTS/24
Dolby 5.1
Dolby True HD
PCM 2.0 plays with distortions
with DTS Master Audio the video looks fine, but there is no sound.
On a Harman Kardon 355 Reciever with 5.1 speaker configuration.

The computer has also another audio card with a C-Media 8768 chipset connected to a Yamaha reciever over SPDIF and in this case a 2.0 speaker configuration.
With Audio Output set to Optical/Coax and Audio Output Device set to C-Media CMI8768 iec958, I am able to play videos with these audio tracks:
DTS
DTS 96/24
Dolby 5.1
Dolby True HD that plays Dolby Digital
DTS HD Master Audio, that plays DTS
with PCM 2.0 the video looks OK, but there is no sound.

It is hard to know if my problems depend on wrong configurations or AE, as there are no information available, as far as i know, about how to configure a system to support AE.
You are going to need to take an XBMC log when trying to play PCM 2.0 or DTSMA via HDMI.

On the SPDIF connection, this type of connection does not have the required bandwidth to play TrueHD, DTSMA, or other HD audio codecs. Thus, the best you are going to get from a connection like that is DTS, Dolby 5.1, etc.
Hi,
compiled today your latest version.
Ubuntu server 11.04
NVidia GT430
custom: hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3

Cannot get audio to work properly.
With an old verison of your code (January) it worked perfectly.

Now it goes very slowly and says that "Audio device failed to initialize".

Here is my debug log: XBMC.log

thanks

The NVidia driver you're using 295.xx is a pita - try dropping to 290 or 280/285. I don't know if this is something Gnif et al can fix - that driver has caused various issues for peeps as far as I know, not just audio wise.

EDIT: for my atrocious grammar!
(2012-04-16, 00:01)elite1967 Wrote: Hi,
Ubuntu server 11.04
NVidia GT430

Does your card work properly with something like mplayer? A good test is seeing if you can play a simple MP3.

(2012-04-16, 01:01)Drae Wrote: The NVidia driver you're using 295.xx is a pita - try dropping to 290 or 280/285. I don't know if this is something Gnif et al can fix - that driver has caused various issues for peeps as far as I know, not just audio wise.

I'm running 295.40 just fine.
(2012-04-16, 14:29)wingrunr21 Wrote:
(2012-04-16, 00:01)elite1967 Wrote: Hi,
Ubuntu server 11.04
NVidia GT430

Does your card work properly with something like mplayer? A good test is seeing if you can play a simple MP3.

From inside XBMC I cannot play anything.
I was able to play with the same configuration and settings with an earlier version of GNIF.

But speaker-test works.

(2012-04-16, 14:29)wingrunr21 Wrote:
(2012-04-16, 01:01)Drae Wrote: The NVidia driver you're using 295.xx is a pita - try dropping to 290 or 280/285. I don't know if this is something Gnif et al can fix - that driver has caused various issues for peeps as far as I know, not just audio wise.

I'm running 295.40 just fine.

I might try to downgrade the driver and see if this works.

(2012-04-16, 14:29)wingrunr21 Wrote: I'm running 295.40 just fine.
Really? I've tried numerous times now on my system (even fresh install) it fails miserably every time. That is to say it often works initially with sound on the GUI - but the moment it switches to passthrough (I guess) it fails with the same "failed to open audio device" error. The 290 and below drivers work fine for me. I've also seen Fernetmenta (iirc) report problems with the 295 driver series and his suggestion was to back off to 285 - admittedly that was video rather than audio related as I recall.

EDIT: http://pastebin.com/1DgH6mva is the log for the 295.40 driver / Nvidia G210
(2012-04-16, 14:35)elite1967 Wrote: From inside XBMC I cannot play anything.
I was able to play with the same configuration and settings with an earlier version of GNIF.

But speaker-test works.

I might try to downgrade the driver and see if this works.

Ok. In my experience mplayer is a better test of if your audio is working than the in-built ALSA tools. My guess is you have ALSA issues. The other option is your DEV setting is wrong (ie mine is DEV=1 but a lot of other people use DEV=3).

(2012-04-16, 15:31)Drae Wrote: Really? I've tried numerous times now on my system (even fresh install) it fails miserably every time. That is to say it often works initially with sound on the GUI - but the moment it switches to passthrough (I guess) it fails with the same "failed to open audio device" error. The 290 and below drivers work fine for me. I've also seen Fernetmenta (iirc) report problems with the 295 driver series and his suggestion was to back off to 285 - admittedly that was video rather than audio related as I recall.

Perhaps it is something in Ubuntu. I run a Gentoo system. It could also be something in your asound.conf (do you have one?)
I am using Nvidia driver 295.40 in Ubuntu 12.04 beta and that works. I am however not able to play all formats.
I compiled a new version yesterday and played some videos.
DTS HD Master audio does not play, but DTS HD High Defenition plays fine and the reciever shows DTS HD Master Audio.
If I change the audio settings in XBMC to just LPCM, videos with DTS HD Master Audio will play the DTS track.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4