brief green pixelation during resume
A little update, and more sad news. I went out and (foolishly) bought a graphics card expecting my green pixel problem to go away. I purchased the HIS Radeon HD 6670 1GB and put my build into a different case I had lying around intending to upgrade the ML03B if my tests worked. I put in the card and installed Win7 64 then the 12.3 Catalyst drivers - making sure crossfire was enabled for maximum performance. I installed Eden and went to play several files that were troublesome and there it was again, that evil green macroblocking with DXVA2 turned on. With DXVA2 off and just DXVA on I'm not getting the green pixels but I am still getting some pixelation/macroblocking (greyish). I thought I was building a powerful enough HTPC to have no worries about DXVA2, apparently I was mistaken. The frustrating thing is that I do get the best performance with DXVA/DXVA2 turned on aside from the brief pixelation during skips and resume and I really want to use this setting because of the great CPU levels and for the fact that I BOUGHT THE HARDWARE FOR DXVA! I feel like digging a hole and burying the damn build.
Also let me just make a note, ALL of my media are 1:1 bluray ripped to mkv using makemkv. Too often I see comments on here from guys that are not using 1:1 rips talking about everything working perfectly. I'm sure it is working perfectly when you're playing 12GB files at low bitrates, but that is not the purpose of my home theater or the equipment I use. Not trying to rip on those users at all and each person has their own standards, just saying the level of hardware/decoding is different for small vs large files.
Sorry you are having such problems. Can you return the graphics card you bought and try a nVidia card? You went from AMD to AMD. Chances are the drivers are not that much different. If there is a problem with the drivers you will still have them. You could provide a small sample file that has the issues you are dealing with. Then we can test it out on different hardware.
Do you really think it would be an AMD issue? I only ask because these files play great in VLC even with doing some crazy skipping forward and backwards - I tried to replicate what I was seeing and I couldn't. The only conclusion I can think of at this point would be that it has something to do with the xbmc player/codec itself. I can try to create a sample later this evening, if you happen to have a bluray of a bugs life laying around you could test that lol. My go to files for testing are Cast Away due to a very high bitrate, A Bug's Life in the first 3 seconds when the disney pixar logo is loading (basically the file I go to because it is an immediate indicator that I still have green pixelation), Beauty and the Beast also gives me some trouble when skipping around. The weird thing is that Avatar has no problems though - even skipping through. All of these files are 1:1 bluray MKV from makemkv and are h.264. I tried digging into the files using MediaInfo to see if I could spot any differences. It's hard to really tell because there are a lot of different things being reported, but I am curious about the Reframes which are different or not present in some of the files. Thanks for your response!
Sorry, I do not have any of those laying around. If you could make a test file and confirm it has the issue then share it, I'd be happy to test it on 2 different systems. One with nVidia and one with Intel HD3000.

I do find it odd you do not have those issue in VLC. That does tend to make one think it is truly XBMC related. If you get that sample file we can test it for sure.

Are those 1:1 rips in 10bit or 8bit color? XBMC does not directly support 10bit color yet.
@tman-
Have you try different Pixel Format in AMD CCC as shown below.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The files are all 8bit, I verified that after doing a ton of searching and found an article about 10bit vs 8bit. The best version of XBMC I have found is the multi threading one from this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106051&page=40 and yes I know it is about 10bit but I can assure you my files are NOT 10bit but it worked this best but not perfect. I will try to upload the sample file late this evening.

@bluray I did change those settings when I was using just the on board graphics but I have not tried it yet with the new graphics card.

Another question I have is do any of you have drops when watching 1:1 rips? I noticed that the troublesome files have drops, I haven't checked to see if my good files have drops but I will do that.
(2012-04-26, 21:53)tman12 Wrote: @bluray I did change those settings when I was using just the on board graphics but I have not tried it yet with the new graphics card.

Another question I have is do any of you have drops when watching 1:1 rips? I noticed that the troublesome files have drops, I haven't checked to see if my good files have drops but I will do that.
All my blu-ray rips are 1:1 in ISO, M2TS, etc files....no drop....

I don't mean like you physically seeing one, I'm talking about when you click "O" where it says Drop: and PC Drop:
Also, what is your build? I have pretty much the higher end APU + Crossfire so I'm finding it hard to believe that other people are not having issues unless I'm totally missing something.
(2012-04-26, 22:42)tman12 Wrote: Also, what is your build? I have pretty much the higher end APU + Crossfire so I'm finding it hard to believe that other people are not having issues unless I'm totally missing something.
My builds are E-350+GT430, i5-2400+HD2000, AMD X4+HD4200, E7200+HD6450, i3.......and they are no match with your APU, but it can playback blu-ray in full 1080P and bitstreaming HD audio with ease.......

Are you using the internal player? I wasn't aware that the internal player was capable of bitstreaming HD audio. I also have no interest in using an external player. Hopefully I will be able to get this straightened out this weekend, I just can't believe this powerful hardware can't properly accelerate my videos. Especially given the fact that I am doing no encoding or changing anything - I'm simply putting the original bluray file into an mkv container and there is very little chance that I will take the near 400 rips and re-encode them.
What do you make of this, I just did some debugging and found these errors interesting as the one thing I've noticed and mentioned above was a difference in reframes for my files.

ERROR: ffmpeg[1264]: [h264] reference picture missing during reorder
Previous line repeats 1 times
ERROR: ffmpeg[1264]: [h264] decode_slice_header error
ERROR: ffmpeg[1264]: [h264] mmco: unref short failer
ERROR: ffmpeg[1264]: [h264] hardware accelerator failed to decode video
ERROR: ffmpeg[1264]: [h264] Mising reference picture
ERROR: ffmpeg[1264]: [h264]
(2012-04-27, 01:24)tman12 Wrote: Are you using the internal player? I wasn't aware that the internal player was capable of bitstreaming HD audio.
Any Intel CPU with HD2000/HD3000/HD4000 iGPU are capable of bitstreaming HD audio.

(2012-04-27, 01:24)tman12 Wrote: I also have no interest in using an external player.
If you want to playback blu-ray disc without menus and bitstreaming HD audio, XBMC is very capable of doing it without external player. You can check my guide in this post- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

(2012-04-27, 01:24)tman12 Wrote: Hopefully I will be able to get this straightened out this weekend, I just can't believe this powerful hardware can't properly accelerate my videos. Especially given the fact that I am doing no encoding or changing anything - I'm simply putting the original bluray file into an mkv container and there is very little chance that I will take the near 400 rips and re-encode them.
I hope that you do so you can enjoy your powerful HTPC.....

Tman-

Since it is iGPU, you can try to allocate the share memory to 512MB in the bios, and it is in advance northbridge setting (in 3.4.2 North Bridge Configuration of your AsRock manual). It's default to auto.......
@tman12 you could try the latest nightly. ffmpeg was updated since Eden and hopefully fixes your problem.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2012-04-27, 04:29)CrystalP Wrote: @tman12 you could try the latest nightly. ffmpeg was updated since Eden and hopefully fixes your problem.
If he haven't done it, I'm almost positive that shared memory is the cause of the green screen. If it is, it should be a quick fix......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
brief green pixelation during resume0