What should be firewall and IP settings for xbmc?
just finishing building 2 windows 7 - htpc's with xbmc? It is just AWESOME but configuring with Windows 7 is time consuming and frustrating. I also have a Synology NAS where all the media files are which i mapped but the connection just keeps dropping. Anyways, almost got it all working but what firewall settings should i use, can i just turn the firewall off (these htpc's are strickly for xbmc use and no other application or work). And is it a good idea to assign static IP address?
You can turn the firewall off, though it shouldn't be interfering, or at least not without telling you. Statis IP addresses are unlikely to make any difference.

When you're creating the source I find the most reliable way is to to click Browse in the Add source dialog, then select Add network location (you'll need to scroll the ist down to see this) and feed in the Synology name and share name (and username/password if needed). This will add a network location that shows in the list as "smb://server/share/". Select this location and OK to get back to the add source dialog. I find this type of source is the most reliable on Windows.

JR
I am having firewall troubles too. I have Verizon FIOS and an Actiontec router. I always run the firewall on its "high" setting. If I turn the firewall to "medium" everything works ok. So I know the PC is fine and the install is fine and that the problem is indeed the router. I have looked around and tried opening 36667 UDP & TCP, Also opened 9777 UDP and TCP. Still cannot get it to work. Please tell me exactly what I have to open. Thanks
JM
did you forward your ports in your router? I have also found that the password protected file sharing causes issues for me, have you considered turning that off?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Yes--I forwarded the ports in the Verizon Actiontec router's firewall settings.
As I said, the problem is in the Actiontec firewall settings. If I disable the actiontec firewall, everything works fine.
I need to know what ports XMBC wants opened.
Thanks,
JM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What should be firewall and IP settings for xbmc?0