Win HTPC Build
I am going to be building a HTPC and currently am in the pricing/build configuration stage.

Trying to decide between two builds. I might change out the motherboard for a suitable less costly one. Can't seem to find one for the right price in Canada.

I have a DENON AVR-689 already. I am currently in Group #6.

All prices are after taxes and shipping and in Canadian Dollars.

How do these builds seem?

Build One
[CPU + GPU]
A8-3870 | $148.23
[MOBO]
ASUS F1A75-M Pro mATX FM1 | $110.24 - $10 MIR
[RAM]
Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 | $25.24
[SSD]
OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G | $84.73 - $15 MIR
[CASE]
Nmedia HTPC-5000B | $84.72
Silverstone Milo ML03 | $67.79
[PSU]
SS-400ET | $50.41
[HDD]
unRAID server to be built soon
[WiFi]
N/A
[OS]
Win7 Pro 64 | Already Have
[KEYBOARD]
Undecided
[MOUSE]
Undecided
[REMOTE]
Undecided

[TOTAL]
$503.57 - MIRs with HTPC-5000B
$486.64 - MIRs with Milo ML03

Build Two
[CPU + GPU]
A6-3500 | $79.59
[MOBO]
ASUS F1A75-M Pro mATX FM1 | $110.24 - $10 MIR
[RAM]
Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 | $25.24
[SSD]
OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G | $84.73 - $15 MIR
[CASE]
Nmedia HTPC-5000B | $84.72
Silverstone Milo ML03 | $67.79
[PSU]
SS-400ET | $50.41
[HDD]
unRAID server to be built soon
[WiFi]
N/A
[OS]
Win7 Pro 64 | Already Have
[KEYBOARD]
Undecided
[MOUSE]
Undecided
[REMOTE]
Undecided

[TOTAL]
$434.93 - MIRs with HTPC-5000B
$418.00 - MIRs with Milo ML03
You'll enjoy both HTPC's....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
post some pics when its done!
Thanks guys. I'll post some pictures.

Do you think I'll need the 3870k or will the 3500 be powerful enough for my needs?

I was looking for a 3600, but I can't seem to find one that isn't in a prebuilt machine.
3600 really hard to find. 3500 FTW!!
An other question for before I buy anything.

In Group #6 it mentions that I could be served by one of many Nettops in a list.

Now, the price difference is very drastic. Being ~$500 to build my own or purchasing a Nettop at less than $300.

Is that $200 savings really worth it for me? Or should I just build my own?
I'd go build your own for your main HTPC. Usually looks can be important and case choice becomes critical. You can better match that receiver probably with a "real" case

Also, if you wanted to go PVR, getting a tuner inside a nettop can be a challenge. The A6-3500 is a pretty sweet APU for XBMC, I was very impressed with it when I built a couple for friends..

Secondary HTPCs; nettop, ATV2, etc are all options, IMHO.
I won't be needing any PVR functionality since I don't have cable/satellite and have no plans on getting either.

I am leaning on more of the Nmedia HTPC-5000B route, but if anyone has any more suggestions on the case route I am still interested in some more suggestions.

I guess I don't really need the A8-3870 and the 3500 should be more than enough.

Any more things I should look into?

i'd go for the same build as Beer40Onze if i were you
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128009
I'm having problems finding the ASRock A75M-ITX at the vendors I want to shop at and I don't think the build would be any cheaper.

I think the mATX case would look better with my current setup I have.
your the boss!
I do value other's input too.

I do like the idea of running an almost silent HTPC.

Off topic: How do I add rep' to members?
(2012-04-12, 19:54)myuke Wrote: I won't be needing any PVR functionality since I don't have cable/satellite and have no plans on getting either.

I am leaning on more of the Nmedia HTPC-5000B route, but if anyone has any more suggestions on the case route I am still interested in some more suggestions.

I guess I don't really need the A8-3870 and the 3500 should be more than enough.

Any more things I should look into?
It's depending on what you need it for.....for standard HTPC, A6-3500 APU should be enough......if you have money, the best APU in the market "A8-3870" in bigger case with a chrome aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan is an excellent choice....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Just wanted to mention, at least here in the states, PVR can actually be done with an OTA antenna (thst's what I'm doing), so you don't necessarily need cable/satellite. I cut the cord almost two years ago, I like my PVR setup better than my other options anyway.. Live TV is nice to have integrated into XBMC, the misses really wanted to be able to see local news, weather, and "it's in there!". It's a nice little project too for when you get bored.

The ASRock is a pretty widely accepted MB. It supports on from OFF state (not sleep) and a few other tricks. The one you are looking at is nice, probably don't need the 2 PCIe 2.0 slots, and it's a little more than the ASRock. Frankly, MB choice isn't going to mke a huge difference over all. If you like it, that's mostly what counts. I'm an ASUS fanboy myself, but the past couple builds were the ASRock and I found it a pretty nifty little board.

No bubbles, no troubles..
Rep is added via the +/- button at the bottom of the posts...
I must not have +/- buttons yet since I am a new account.

I won't be doing any OTA stuff right now. It might be an option in the future.

I would buy the ASRock board, but it is more expensive here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build0