Installation Failed (Errno 5: Input/Output Error)
Hey everyone,

First time poster here. I'm trying to install XBMCbuntu on a PC we had laying around the house to turn it into our media server for the living room, and I'm having a couple of issues.

First, I installed the XBMCbuntu with a 4GB flash drive yesterday morning and all went perfect. I started messing around with the settings and ended up screwing a lot of things up without thinking, and decided I would just re-install. Well, low and behold, the 4GB flash drive I had died and no longer works. I have no idea what happened to it, but it's pretty old and I knew the day was coming where I'd have to part with it.

Well, I had a 1GB flash drive laying around, and assuming that since the installation ISO isn't any bigger than 1GB, I used Universal USB Installer to install the ISO to the flash drive. I plugged it into the PC, went into the installation, and got about 75% through with the "Copying Files" portion of the installation when it gave me the error:

Quote:Installation Failed

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of a replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

Well, I can guarantee there isn't anything wrong with the computer or the hard drive or the 1GB flash drive. So, figuring that maybe it was due to the flash drive not being 2GB (Ubuntu recommends to install with a 2GB flash drive from their website), I decided to go ahead and just burn the ISO to a CD.

Following the previous error, I burned the CD at the lowest possible speed and finalized it using MagicICO. I put the CD in, and it got to the exact same section of the installation (about 75% through copying the files) and gave me the exact same error as above. The CD is brand new, and there is definitely nothing wrong with the CD/DVD drive that I'm using to read the installation disk.

I have no idea what to do now other than buy a new 4GB flash drive, but I'd really prefer not to go that route at the moment. I just want this freakin' installation to work!

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try to get it fixed?

Also, just so you're aware, I used the EXACT same ISO I downloaded yesterday and used on the 4GB flash drive as I used on the 1GB flash drive and the CD so I highly doubt it's a problem with the downloaded ISO.

Please help! Sad
Ricky
I have same problem.
When I use xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.iso this image file attached to my A8Jr, will gave me [Errno 5] Input / output error, in about 50% of Copying Files

Intel T2350
2G RAM
ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X2300

I replaced the flash drives and hard drives, but the problem still occurs.

ps. I used xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA.iso this image, can be installed correctly, but due to the graphics card driver is not correct, the error is displayed.
Welcome to Forums..

You are using incorrect version of XBMCBUntu. Your video CARD IS AMD and alos too old for the new video drivers

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1321752

OR if you actually want to properly use your Hardware in Linux see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854 which is actually recommended.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installation Failed (Errno 5: Input/Output Error)0