Release Kodi Playback Resumer (Matrix+ , v2.0.1+)
Thanks for the reply. I definitely know I'm far from the only one who uses Kodi but not for the library. For example, Kodi has some audio and subtitle capabilities that other players don't offer. Also, when researching if it was possible to simply show a list of file names on the home page (if you don't care about all the metadata and graphics of the library) I found many other users seeking and asking about the same thing going back years. So, yeah, there definitely are plenty of Kodi users who use it for various capabilities it offers but don't actually care about the library. For example, work videos, speeches, conference vids, travel vids sent by friends, etc etc etc. There are tons on videos that users will only watch once then delete and that aren't something that can easily be added to the library anyway. Yet, it would obviously still be extremely helpful to be able to partially watch those videos and resume them later.
So Kodi sets resume points on played files, right, even if they are not in the library. 

This add-on just helps by setting that point frequently during playback, so that in case of a crash, the resume point in the file is much closer to where the crash happened than still set back at wherever playback started from.

It kind of seems like you're asking for something that Kodi already does - or do you specifically mean you want this extra protection for non library files too?   It does seem like at some point it became possible to set the resume point on files rather than just library items:
https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v13#...ileDetails

(I presume after the add-on was written - I just ported it over to Python 3).

It doesn't look like it would be too crazy to add the functionality but just want to be clear you're aware that resume point on non library files are a standard Kodi thing...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Yes, I have learned that Kodi now resumes non-library files; although only if the file has been playing more than 180 seconds... which is why I didn't initially realize it was working. But, as you say, that does nothing if there is a crash. Or a power outage... which is definitely a thing when using Kodi on an Android/Google TV which doesn't run on battery. Also, Kodi apparently only sets a resume point when you stop the video... so, if you just pause the video then don't get back to it before power saving settings or someone else in the house turns off the TV then you also lose your place. In other words, there are a variety of scenarios where it would be helpful to also have your auto-save functionality on non-library files. Thanks in advance if you can make that happen.
(2024-03-24, 02:23)bossanova808 Wrote: So Kodi sets resume points on played files, right, even if they are not in the library. 

This add-on just helps by setting that point frequently during playback, so that in case of a crash, the resume point in the file is much closer to where the crash happened than still set back at wherever playback started from.

It kind of seems like you're asking for something that Kodi already does - or do you specifically mean you want this extra protection for non library files too?   It does seem like at some point it became possible to set the resume point on files rather than just library items:
https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v13#...ileDetails

(I presume after the add-on was written - I just ported it over to Python 3).

It doesn't look like it would be too crazy to add the functionality but just want to be clear you're aware that resume point on non library files are a standard Kodi thing...

Is there an RPC call to set a resume point for a non-library item ?  I wrote this functionality into the Mezzmo Kodi addon but use direct SQLIte writes to the bookmark table, even when the media is synchronized to the Kodi database.  I only ask because Team Kodi won't allow addons in the repo which do direct SQLite calls.  So as long as the RPC call works against non-library items it will be fine.  Right now it looks like the current RPC calls are going against the Video Library, which I would expect.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
@jbinkley60
The one I linked above - https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v13#...ileDetails - seems like it does it for files, at first glance?  So test for a library ID, if not, then use that call instead of the classic one, I guess?  Unless I am mistaken about that one.

I would indeed not bother if it required going direct to the DB.

More than happy to accept a PR if you fancy a quick tinker at some point Jeff.

@firstofthewinterale

If you chek out advanced settings - https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_aut...ume_points - you can change quite a bit of the behaviour of the resume points, e.g. the 180 seconds etc.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2024-03-26, 22:34)bossanova808 Wrote: @jbinkley60
The one I linked above - https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v13#...ileDetails - seems like it does it for files, at first glance?  So test for a library ID, if not, then use that call instead of the classic one, I guess?  Unless I am mistaken about that one.

This call looks like it might work how you explain.  I see you're grabbing the file name in your player.py code so I would think the RPC call would match on that against the files table strFilename field and then set the bookmark with the  corresponding idFile value.  I'll be curious if you try ti and it works this way.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-03-26, 22:34)bossanova808 Wrote: If you chek out advanced settings - https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_aut...ume_points - you can change quite a bit of the behaviour of the resume points, e.g. the 180 seconds etc.

Yes, I searched if there was a way to change the 180 seconds and found that page. It seems a bit odd to me that Kodi has 4 levels of settings (basic, standard, advanced, and expert) and yet even in expert mode there are so very many settings which require users to create and/or manipulate xml files. Thankfully I'm comfortable with doing that and now resume points are created sooner. However, many users would consider it far too "techy" to create the file, input and adjust the necessary settings, then figure out how and where to put that xml file on their particular OS/device. With four settings levels (which is definitely more than most apps) it really would be nice if there were more settings available for user adjustment within the GUI. For example, with the one we're talking about (the 180 second minimum resume point) how many users initially think resume isn't even working because they do something like go 1-2 minutes into a movie (to get past all the usual studio and production company logos) then stop it there in preparation for resuming the movie later with friends or family only to return and have it start from the beginning?!?! Anway, I think both users and the people fielding support requests would be better served if more things like this were available within the advanced and expert levels of Kodi's settings. Something for the devs and team leaders to think about. In any case, although I had already found it, thanks for bringing the advanced settings xml file to my attention.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Playback Resumer (Matrix+ , v2.0.1+)0