• 45(current)
[RELEASE] Library watchdog
(2012-05-11, 11:48)takoi Wrote:
(2012-05-10, 21:59)tinybutstrong Wrote: Quick question, what is the difference between method syscall and polling?

I explained the methods used above. Basically, syscall is fast and will use no resources when idle. Polling will constantly check for changes and may hog the disk quite a bit for large directories (e.g 1TB). If you have os mounted network shares you want to watch, you must use polling. Otherwise, you should use syscall. For future reference: the "only watch root directory" option will increase the performance of polling a lot, if you can live with this limitation.

Thanks for creating this addon, looks quite exciting! A few questions:

1) All my movies are local, which should allow me to use "syscall", which is the most resource efficient as the disks don't spin. However, I have included my movie folders with smb:// (despite being local) as only this allows me to properly use mysql and access the movies on other clients in our house. Would my set-up still allow me to use sycall?

2) I am using local files only and do not scrape anything directly. The local files (NFO, folder.jpg, etc.) are created outside Kodi. When "just adding" the NFO file, I would assume that watchdog would update the library, but nothing happens as there is no nfo file. Once I later add the nfo file, would it trigger yet another update?

3) Will this only trigger a library update or spot if things have changed? For example, I may later add folder.jpg for art or would manually change the nfo file. Will watchdog spot this change and trigger a refresh of the specific movie?

Thanks in advance!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I have the status displayed on startup and it lists my three video folders, however it only says it's watching the first. The second two say "Not Watching"

It's something that happened recently as this plugin was updating my library fine prior.
It's saying my shares do not exist, which obviously they do:

11:14:11 T:2004 DEBUG: [service.watchdog] not watching <smb://Server/Series/>. does not exist
11:14:11 T:2004 DEBUG: [service.watchdog] not watching <smb://Server/Series2/>. does not exist
@steve1977 as far as I see it (have some kind of similar update) watchdog only monitors over video files, so a change of metadata doesn't trigger an update.
(2015-02-24, 18:23)wheemer Wrote: It's saying my shares do not exist, which obviously they do:

11:14:11 T:2004 DEBUG: [service.watchdog] not watching <smb://Server/Series/>. does not exist
11:14:11 T:2004 DEBUG: [service.watchdog] not watching <smb://Server/Series2/>. does not exist
It's not obvious they do. On the contrary. It checks if the folder is reachable on startup and says they are not. The most common source for that problem is that watchdog/kodi is started before server or network is ready. (there's a startup delay option in the settings if you can't solve it properly)
I just meant it was obvious to me. This is the same server that Kodi is running on. The paths are immediately available to watch video from as soon as kodi launches. This message appear everytime I start Kodi even after the computer been on and network working for long.

I am running a nightly version of Kodi so perhaps that has something to do with it?
I'm having the same problem that only 1 external drive is being scanned/watched....but I think the following thread has figured out the problem and the answer is expected to come in 14.2...... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218306&page=3
Hmm I would have thought that fix was in 15.0 nightlies that I'm running... But your problem is identical to mine. My one nas drive scans fine.
I have installed 14.2 and after reimporting my library I am happy to report it is properly watching my folders, including my multipath.
@takoi:
We are working to run the watchdog.addon on a headless-server together with kodi-Libraryscanner on OMV:
https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin...ee/master/

We made some changes to make your addon run headless (without showing progress):
- added a setting IS_HEADLESS

maybe you can include this in your main version of watchdog?
the changes are here: https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin...e.watchdog
I don't know, how to make a PR on github Wink sorry
Thx
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Quick question on SQL database (I tried searching but SQL is 3 chars and search wont work)

if you have multiple machines running and your DB is via SQL, should Watchdog be installed on only 1 of the machines to prevent multiple writes at the same time to the SQL database ?
Yes you only need one machine scanning the library
Going back to the first post on this...

Should I be concerned with constantly polling my RAID array? Both in terms of wear & tear on HDD and always keeping them spun up (which I guess is better than spinning down and up)...

I'm trying to start capturing quality in file names, esp on upgrades which means I really need Watchdog to keep from going insane, but I'm concerned at the same time with keeping my server active basically 24/7 if I use it.
Has anybody got this addon working in Kodi v15?
(2015-04-09, 16:22)bigzaj Wrote: Going back to the first post on this...

Should I be concerned with constantly polling my RAID array? Both in terms of wear & tear on HDD and always keeping them spun up (which I guess is better than spinning down and up)...

I'm trying to start capturing quality in file names, esp on upgrades which means I really need Watchdog to keep from going insane, but I'm concerned at the same time with keeping my server active basically 24/7 if I use it.
Same here.. using watchdog constently access my network folders on my Stora NAS..
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Library watchdog4